1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

Quote from: "Glen"Target date next Saturday at Speedworld for a coast down the track and datalog session   :shock:

COOL. I'll try to remember to get out there

Later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Glen

well, we did make it out to the track today.  We felt confident enough to take it to the line.  I had little confidence in the open loop portion below 4000 rpm and I was right.  It wasnt happy so I idled thru with a 17 sec et at 42 mph.  Once in the pit we changed the open loop to stop at 3000 rpm and went back to the line with it.  The same thing, I idled off the line and rolled into the gas and it stumbled, but then it hit 3000 rpm and got into the closed loop operation and took off.  The 1/8 mile was 108 MPH and thats about the time i let off.  Once it was running on the O2 sensors and compensating it cleaned itself up.  The car is very stable at speed it rides like its on a rail.  I will have to work on the off idle fuel table before i can go back.  Thanks to Tony for being there for support.
this isnt pretty....but it is a small step forward.

Crosley.In.AZ

I wish folks could have seen the grin on Glen's face when he got back from the 2nd pass.

His comments were : "as it cleaned up and started to go , it got quiet ... then I was pushed back into the seat"

I am glad I was there, it was a kool day. I did my best to stay out of Glen , Laura & Clay's way as they worked on the car.  I answered a bunch of questions from folks as the word spread a new car was on the lot... a very nice built new car.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

What is the logic for open loop at low speed? Does the ecu not have the capacity to differentiate between vacuum and boost?
TEAM SMART

Glen

during low RPM if the ECU was in closed loop it would try to compensate for the dirty air and it would see a lean condition and start adding fuel......at idle and off idle.  The ECU is always trying to achieve the AFR you have preset when in closed loop.

its really not that lean, the short open headers also complicate that RPM range because the 02 is seeing atsmosphere air at idle.

I might pull that closed loop RPM range down a little more and turn on the learn function, the ECU will adapt a new strategy and if i like it, I can push that into my base fuel table.  You can hi-lite the RPM section you want to modify and/or push the new learned fuel mixture over.  The Functions are awesome.

its all an easy fix....just takes some time and head scratching.

Glen

Well.....I guess that worked well.  I walked it down the track a couple of times  today and then decided to hit it.  I rolled it out a little and then squeezed it.

to be honest its the first time I whacked it near the starting line, it took off hard and yes, I lifted.....call me chicken, its ok.

This is the same pass below, but inside the car, i let off just before the 1/8 mile pylon at 128 MPH and it coasted thru with a 9.76

The Holley EFI system is unbelivable!  Watching it tune itself today on the learn funciton and on the datalog was awesome.

wayne petty

i guess i should call over to john forces shop.. see if he wants a match race..

looks great... sounds even better...

is there any thought on creating some P shaped pipes that will plug into the MASSIVE zoomie to become massive side pipes along the rocker panels... even if you have to depress the shape of the tube along the rocker panels into a form fitting shape...  this might quiet is enough to make it streetable...

and still be removable for the strip..   using silicone Orings in rolled depressions in the slip in section to prevent damage inside the zoomie..   this would allow your doors to still open over the new side pipes..
the side pipes would be form fitting down to the pinch weld..   perhaps even extending inside of it in a short rectangle...

again.. just a thought..

edit.... another bad idea.. the zoomie end is too close to the door ...  the pipe would need to be in a scroll to get down to the rocker panel without interfering with the door opening..   that would make it about 285 degrees of bend after slip fitting..  it would really be hard to slip in...   if that could be rigged it would work..  with that much super charger... exhaust back pressure is probably not that much an issue..

Bruce Dorsi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

UGLY OLDS

Looks Good ....  Sounds Good .... All your time & hard work are showing now ...  8)

Good Job Glen ...... 8)

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

moose

Glen
Has your jaw quit hurting yet? I am sure the grin you got must have been wide enough to hurt! :wink:  :D

Glen

Quote from: "moose"Glen
Has your jaw quit hurting yet? I am sure the grin you got must have been wide enough to hurt! :wink:  :D

After two years of sweat it was good to get it painted and put back together.....to make that run i posted above was a whole new level of satisfaction.  I cant wait to get back and push it a little more.  We go back Sunday for a little more practice, and then the Southwest Nostalgia Drags on the 10th.  Ordered a bunch of fuel today.

Glen

Pulled the pan down tonight to look around make sure everything looks good.  I thought you guys might like to see the inside of this thing.  The rails are wider than the block so you pull the o-ringed plugs out of the pan and use an extended allen socket to remove the bolt out of the block.  Check out the oil pump.

There is a spring loaded trap door on the back of the sump.

Glen

Got my license passes out of the way today.  The last run I had the green light to run it and i hit it pretty good off the line (at least more than I have been doing) It spun and rattled the tires when the boost came in, it wasnt pretty but i ran a 9.35 at 160 MPH and pulled the chutes to complete the task.

This was a better looking pass earlier:

60 ft. 2.10  :roll:
1/8 6.54 at 126 mph
1000 ft. 8.1 at 153 mph
1/4 9.599 at 145.63 mph

On this pass the datalog never showed greater than 62% TPS open, the majority of the run was 50-60% open.  There is no BS'ing the datalog, your pals can see when you chicken out.

zzebby

Wow, I would need to change my underwear.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"Well.....I guess that worked well.  I walked it down the track a couple of times  today and then decided to hit it.  I rolled it out a little and then squeezed it.

to be honest its the first time I whacked it near the starting line, it took off hard and yes, I lifted.....call me chicken, its ok.

This is the same pass below, but inside the car, i let off just before the 1/8 mile pylon at 128 MPH and it coasted thru with a 9.76

The Holley EFI system is unbelivable!  Watching it tune itself today on the learn funciton and on the datalog was awesome.

videos are gone.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)