In the Shop

Started by Dusty, May 21, 2010, 06:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

Central Motor Freight delivered this engine yesterday, complete with all of the hoses and snap on connectors for the dry sump, ignition and all of the other sensors.  It is about 950 Dyno H.P.  We bolted a 4 speed to it.  The twin disc clutch plate setup was already installed.  The car is Kyle Busch's 2009 car, built for Martinsville.  It was never wrecked, and was acquired at a fair price.  Now the engine, that is another story.  Lotsa forms to sign, a long waiting period, and lotsa $$$$$.  Check out the brakes.  It looks like you could build a roadster body with all the metal in them.  a friend of mine purchased the car, and we are putting it together in my shop.   We are supposed to take it to the Texas motor speedway sometime in the fall.  Just to try it out, not to compete...

Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

UGLY OLDS

Neat engine & car but I'm kinda confused.... :?  All that horsepower...A 4 -speed.....All that RPM .....And an aluminum bellhousing  :?:  :?:    Not to be nasty,but what am I missing  :?

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dusty

Titanium bellhousing...How many gears would you use just to round and round in high gear?
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Dusty"Titanium bellhousing...How many gears would you use just to round and round in high gear?

Sorry Dusty....I was thinking more about protection in case of clutch / flywheel failure..I should have been more specific..... :oops:

Bob.... :wink:

Leon

How much is "a fair price"?  I'm curious what those things are worth right now.

Dusty

Bob...
I think the 4 speed is standard in all of the Nascar racers...There may be an exception, but anyway...The 4 speeds are not owned by the different racing teams...Here is the kicker.  The transmissions are rented/leased, whatever you want to call it.   My buddy was able to buy one from another company.  BTW, Hooley tells me this is the same transmission that is used in the 974 car.  He bought his apparently from the same place my friend got his.  BTW I had a typo in the original post...The car is the 2006 version not the 2009.  

Leon...

My friend never told me exact money, but his wife let it slip that she could have used the 20 grand for something better.  It came with everything except the Motor, transmission, and the punkin out of the 9" Ford rearend.
All of the QD hoses and electrical QD's were still in the car, so that when we put the engine in everything just connected up perfect.  It's gonna be an interesting project for my friend...  BTW he is a retired DuPont engineer.
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: DustyBob...
I think the 4 speed is standard in all of the Nascar racers...There may be an exception, but anyway...The 4 speeds are not owned by the different racing teams...

I was thinking about why they don't use a " Blow-Proof" type bellhousing  or scatter shield like in drag racing...I would think with that amount of  RPM & horsepower it would certainly be needed/required in case of clutch failure.... :?:
 ( Sorry.... I prolly shoud have said that the first time ... :lol: )

Bob..... :wink:

tomslik

Quote from: UGLY OLDS
Quote from: "Dusty"Bob...
I think the 4 speed is standard in all of the Nascar racers...There may be an exception, but anyway...The 4 speeds are not owned by the different racing teams...

I was thinking about why they don't use a " Blow-Proof" type bellhousing  or scatter shield like in drag racing...I would think with that amount of  RPM & horsepower it would certainly be needed/required in case of clutch failure.... :?:

there's a few sfi'd titianium scattershields out there, think comp, pro stock and the fuel cars
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

My friend never told me exact money, but his wife let it slip that she could have used the 20 grand for something better.  It came with everything except the Motor, transmission, and the punkin out of the 9" Ford rearend.
All of the QD hoses and electrical QD's were still in the car, so that when we put the engine in everything just connected up perfect.  It's gonna be an interesting project for my friend...  BTW he is a retired DuPont engineer.

Looks like he is "living the dream"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: tomslik
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Quotethere's a few sfi'd titianium scattershields out there, think comp, pro stock and the fuel cars

WOW....Never knew that ..... :!:   I'm still tryin' to get used to "Overhead" valves  & the "steer" tars doin' the drivin'.... :shock:    

I am now more edjamacated....Thanks...   );b(  

Bob............. :wink: