Rock guard type product question...

Started by My52Chebby, May 21, 2010, 01:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

This week, my buddy was telling me about a product he saw on newer cars. A clear self-adhesive film used as rock-guard.

Have any of you heard of this product? How thick is it? I'm thinking of using it to mount my truck fenders to the box, box sides to the front panel, etc..

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My52Chebby

Jokester

I have a friend who has it on all the forward-facing parts of the body on his 39 Chevy sedan.  He had it done locally in Kansas City.  He really likes it and thougt the price was reasonable.  I think it may look different on other cars though.  His is dark charcoal metallic and the film just disappears.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Fat Cat

We install it on the front of the big expensive motorhomes. We use some stuff made my 3M. All I can tell you is make sure you have it placed correctly before you stick it down. Once it is stuck down you will have to waste the sheet to get it back off. I usually does not lift the paint when you have to take it off but I have seen it happen from time to time.

wayne petty

Quote from: "My52Chebby"

This week, my buddy was telling me about a product he saw on newer cars. A clear self-adhesive film used as rock-guard.

Have any of you heard of this product? How thick is it? I'm thinking of using it to mount my truck fenders to the box, box sides to the front panel, etc..  

wait a second...  you want to assemble the box with adhesive????

there are several VHB foam tapes to do that..   (very high bonding)  and probably UHB.. ultra high bonding foam tapes available..

as they use them to attach the various cab panels together for big rigs..

i think they are/were also using similar products to fasten the aircraft skin to the ribs on commercial aircraft..  they might be using a thermoset tape now with inductive heaters to pass over the taped areas to set the bond..   i think the hawaiian airliner that lost the area behind the cockpit was an early unit assembled with cold bonding that failed.. only the rivets were holding the skin on do to the cold bonding failure ...  instead of just holding it in place..

i wonder how long your fingers would be stuck together with this VHB or UHB tapes...

i snipped this out of the mc logan supply catalog

4930 VHB (Very High Bond) Tapes
High-strength Scotch™ VHB™ Tapes are used throughout
industry today to replace screws, rivets, welding,
liquid adhesives and other permanent assembly methods.
They offer greater design flexibility and are often
the key to dramatic improvements in styling and performance.
Moreover they allow faster, easier assembly,
eliminate cleanup, and increase profits.

i know there are a lot of different tapes available..

this stuff costs 45 bucks for 5 yards.. one inch wide at grainger..

talk to your local auto paint supplier...  similar products are used on many newer cars...

i tired to hook up the various local rock film installers to contact their local ready mix cement companies..   for wrapping the backs of the drums ... the rear fenders and various parts that get a lot of concrete splashed on them that the drivers never seem to be able to wash off before it sets..  so they could grab a tab and pull the layers off during PM on the drum or when too much gets spilled on the truck... just to keep the fleet looking nice..

i have a question for the rock film appliers in the colder areas of our country..

what would happen if you applied it to the various flat surfaces of fishing boats...  would it shed ice better than just paint???? less hammer work in bad winter storms to keep the boats from sinking do to ice build up???

My52Chebby

Quote from: "wayne petty"

wait a second...  you want to assemble the box with adhesive????

there are several VHB foam tapes to do that..   (very high bonding)  and probably UHB.. ultra high bonding foam tapes available..

as they use them to attach the various cab panels together for big rigs..

i think they are/were also using similar products to fasten the aircraft skin to the ribs on commercial aircraft..  they might be using a thermoset tape now with inductive heaters to pass over the taped areas to set the bond..   i think the hawaiian airliner that lost the area behind the cockpit was an early unit assembled with cold bonding that failed.. only the rivets were holding the skin on do to the cold bonding failure ...  instead of just holding it in place..

i wonder how long your fingers would be stuck together with this VHB or UHB tapes...

i snipped this out of the mc logan supply catalog

4930 VHB (Very High Bond) Tapes
High-strength Scotch™ VHB™ Tapes are used throughout
industry today to replace screws, rivets, welding,
liquid adhesives and other permanent assembly methods.
They offer greater design flexibility and are often
the key to dramatic improvements in styling and performance.
Moreover they allow faster, easier assembly,
eliminate cleanup, and increase profits.

i know there are a lot of different tapes available..

this stuff costs 45 bucks for 5 yards.. one inch wide at grainger..

talk to your local auto paint supplier...  similar products are used on many newer cars...

i tired to hook up the various local rock film installers to contact their local ready mix cement companies..   for wrapping the backs of the drums ... the rear fenders and various parts that get a lot of concrete splashed on them that the drivers never seem to be able to wash off before it sets..  so they could grab a tab and pull the layers off during PM on the drum or when too much gets spilled on the truck... just to keep the fleet looking nice..

i have a question for the rock film appliers in the colder areas of our country..

what would happen if you applied it to the various flat surfaces of fishing boats...  would it shed ice better than just paint???? less hammer work in bad winter storms to keep the boats from sinking do to ice build up???

Sorry for the confusion... No, I don't want to assemble the box using this material (number one it's only sticky on one side), I want to use this material instead of welting, the box and fenders will still be bolted together. I was thinking of applying some of this clear plastic on the bolting surfaces of the fenders and the box front panel prior to assembly.

My52Chebby

Fat Cat

Sorry for the confusion... No, I don't want to assemble the box using this material (number one it's only sticky on one side), I want to use this material instead of welting, the box and fenders will still be bolted together. I was thinking of applying some of this clear plastic on the bolting surfaces of the fenders and the box front panel prior to assembly.

My52Chebby

I don't think it will work for that. The stuff we use at my place of employment does not hold up well to pressure. What happens is that if you apply pressure. In our case it is bolting a license plate to the front of the coach it pushes the plastic out from under the plate edges. We have found the only solution for us is to install plates with either washers under the plate to stand it off from the plastic or install blind nuts which serve the same purpose.