Mil spec connectors

Started by zzebby, May 20, 2010, 09:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

Some of you guys who were in the service might recognize these,  often called Cannon plugs.  Those in the picture are old style and also known as AN connectors for army navy.  They have a threaded coupling.  The other pieces in the pics are backshells / cable clamps.  I'm in the mil spec connector business and have often thought that these would work out well on the old timey hot rods......or on a modern one too.   I have a few,  maybe 5 or 10  mated pairs of these in the pic.  10 and 24 contact.  Kinda about what you'd use on a hot rod and they will take up to 16 gauge wire.  The wires solder to the back end of the contact on this type of connector.  The contacts are silver plated which is old timey and even though they are tarnished with age they will still solder fine with some flux.  Silver oxide is conductive.   The more modern types are gold plated which is what I have on my truck. Those pics later.
Anyway there is a set of each on the way to enjenjo for his evaluation and I'm sure he'll post his comments.  He should have them by May 28th or so.  We can take it from there.
Would like some input from others on where you'd use these on the hot rod and what wires and wire gauge.  The size 16 contacts in these will take 15 amps under mil spec conditions which is -55C  to +125C.  Maybe I can come up with a few stds that will work in our hot rod world and we could get the price down reasonable (affordable).

zzebby

Wow....I'm shocked that I got the pics up first time. Now I'll try a pic of the connectors on the truck.

58Apache

Yep! I used them on F-4 Phantom jets. They were very durable all weather connectors.

The wire we used was top of the line as well. I seen the wire inside burn and the insulation stayed almost in tact. Smoked like heck but wouldn't burn. I am not sure how toxic the fumes were though?

I would think these would indeed make a great connector at the firewall and possibly elsewhere needing a quick disconnect.

There was a tape we used to further insulate that would stretch and looked very rubbery. We just called it F-4 tape. Great stuff.

enjenjo

I used Cannon plugs on my hot rods back in my Air Force days. I also tied the harness with waxed string.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

I received the connectors, very nice parts. I am thinking of using them to connect a computer on my Buick, I am thinking about mounting the computer under the hood, these will allow me to mount it in a hardened box, to keep moisture out of it.

Learpilot

Quote from: "enjenjo"I received the connectors, very nice parts. I am thinking of using them to connect a computer on my Buick, I am thinking about mounting the computer under the hood, these will allow me to mount it in a hardened box, to keep moisture out of it.

I like the idea of connecting the computer. I have had a tough sealing  out hot air from the engine room.  These connectors would fix that.
Where is a good place to get thes connectors ? How much and are they new of used ?

Thanks, Rick

Carnut

heh, heh, Learpilot, next time you get to Wichita, checkout our Yard Surplus Store. Haven't been there for a couple of decades but with all the aircraft factories here they used to have tons of them.

Heh, heh, waxing nostalgic on my years spent at Boeing for a time in the Wire Shop, scheduling Wire Cutting, Wire bundle assembly on formboards, PCB assembly and Black Box buildup. I such memories of those plugs. I remember using some of the little pin connectors in my 31 Ford Model A when I moved the 4 guage panel up above the windshield in the header with wiring running up the thru the windshield post and connected all the wiring with those pin connectors. They worked great for 30 yrs or so.

Also as Enjenjo posted the only string in our household were rolls of that flat waxed string. I always envied the kids with regular round sting.

Learpilot

Quote from: "Carnut"heh, heh, Learpilot, next time you get to Wichita, checkout our Yard Surplus Store. Haven't been there for a couple of decades but with all the aircraft factories here they used to have tons of them.

Heh, heh, waxing nostalgic on my years spent at Boeing for a time in the Wire Shop, scheduling Wire Cutting, Wire bundle assembly on formboards, PCB assembly and Black Box buildup. I such memories of those plugs. I remember using some of the little pin connectors in my 31 Ford Model A when I moved the 4 guage panel up above the windshield in the header with wiring running up the thru the windshield post and connected all the wiring with those pin connectors. They worked great for 30 yrs or so.

Also as Enjenjo posted the only string in our household were rolls of that flat waxed string. I always envied the kids with regular round sting.

I am coming to Lear for some FMS training in the near future( I don't know if we will fly the lear out for maintenance, or come on the air lines).
I love the YARD, and I did not know they have Cannon plugs. Guess I will have to look harder.  When I go there, there is soooo STUFF much that my mind goes blank as to what I want. I need to make some notes so I can remember.  I could spend days there. I was looking around and found a room full of taps and dies plus drill bits, I got a hand full and these are a lot better than the Craftsman ones that I have plus there are sharp.
Rick

zzebby

Enjenjo
You don't want to use those connectors for your computor box.  Too big and clunky and they are for 16 gauge wire.  Most computors are 20 or 22 gauge wire.  Post / tell me the wire size and how many wires roughly and I'll get you a better choice.  I'll make sure there are a few extra contacts as spares.  You can use the ones you have on another project.
I have some pics of the newer type connectors and will post tonight hopefully.
Buying this type of mil spec connector can be a real headache and frustrating........you could end up with a connector and no contacts and getting the right type and size contacts is confusing.  Post some detail on what you want to do with it and what signals and maybe we can set up some stds and I can advise where to get them.  They can be $40 each or $180 each and remember, you buy the plug and receptacle separately.  Contacts may also be separate.......crimp tool .....solder termination etc.

zzebby

Here are some more modern connectors that make a much better water seal.  These have been on my 38 Ford for 24 yrs and totally exposed to the AZ sun and engine heat.  They have bigger contacts for 12 awg wire so can carry 25 amps at 125 C.  I used three sets,  one is for all the front sheetmetal,  one for all the engine pcs and one that goes to the truck rear area, lights, fuel pump etc.  Where there is no contact it just is blank as the contacts are crimped to the wire and then snapped in place.  Only use as many as needed.
To pull the engine or front sheet metal it is just one connector to uncouple and all wires are unhooked. Clean !
Will get this type for Enjenjo with smaller contacts for the right number of wires.  How many ?

enjenjo

QuoteHow many ?

I'll have to do some counting. Keep your pants on :shock:

zzebby

Enjenjo wrote:
I received the connectors, very nice parts. I am thinking of using them to connect a computer on my Buick, I am thinking about mounting the computer under the hood, these will allow me to mount it in a hardened box, to keep moisture out of it.

What computor are you planning on using ??? Carb or EFI  ?

enjenjo

EFI There are two plugs, one with 32 pins, and one with 24 pins. Some of the wires are 16 ga, some are 18 ga, and some are 20 or 22ga. Now I know I will not be using all the wires, no EGR, no vapor canister, ect.

zzebby

EFI .....nice, will make that old wagon into a nice smoooooth street performer.  Is it an aftermarket or factory computor ??
In the mil spec connectors there are no 18 gauge contacts so we'll need to use a 16 gauge contact for the 18 gauge wires.
It still leaves me too many choices of connectors to make a pick now.  You have to decide what wires (gauges)  will be used.
For example I have a connector code type 17-99  which has 2 #16 gauge  contacts and 21  #20 gauge contacts.  That might work  and yet there is another choice......go to one large mil spec connector to do all the wires.  That could be code type 25-4  which has 8 #16 gauge contacts and 48 #20 gauge contacts.  You could run a max of 56 wires  as long as there are no more than 8 of the 16 and 18 gauge wires.  This connector is 2  1/2  to 3 inches in dia,  can you fit that ??  If it's close then I can send some dimensions.  Do you prefer shiny nickel plated housings  or the typical olive drab ones as on my pics ?

enjenjo

I believe with one of these, connector code type 17-99 which has 2 #16 gauge contacts and 21 #20 gauge contacts, and one of the 24 contact connectors that you sent, I will be able to make it work. Let me know by PM how much I owe you.