700r4 Transmission trouble

Started by Anonymous, July 17, 2004, 05:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hi all, I've been having problems with my transmission lately. It's not shifting sometimes. Especially after I jump on the gas. From a stop sign I can drive away at normal speed and be doing 50KM at 4000RPM and still in first gear, it just won't shift.I did an engine swap about a year and a half ago. I took a 1992 GMC truck and replaced the 305 V8 with A new 350 V8. I've been reading about the importance of the TV cable and am wondering if this might be my problem. The only draw back is that the Truck seem to shift fine for the past year. I didn't know that the cable length was so important. The original truck was a throttle body and I've gone back to a carb (Holley 750, 4bbl) So when I put the cable on the new carb I just modified the bracket and hooked it backup. So the cable might not be adjusted right but like I said it's worked fine for the past year. I took the truck to my performance center and they found that I had lost the ground on one of the wires to the shift kit. Well the truck worked fine for a week and now I'm having the same problem again. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. If you need more details let me know. Thanks

Crosley.In.AZ

Electrics have nothing to do with shifting on this tranny

Sounds like a sticky TV valve in the valve  body, mis adjusted TV cable , sticky / melted cable.

If the minimum setting on the TV cable is not correct, your tranny can go into a fail safe mode if the check ball for fail safe is in the valve body. There should be no slack in the TV cable when the throttle is closed. In fail safe mode the tranny shifts like you have the pedal to the floor, late and firm

You mention shift kit, so I am guessing you have a TransGo shift kit installed?  Sometimes builders leave out the fail safe check ball.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Anonymous

Thanks Crosley. I am going to buy a new TV cable today if I can and see if I can replace it. I'm not sure if they left the fail safe check ball in. Is it a bad thing not to have one?

As for the the shift kit, I'll they said was that it's a B&M racing shift kit. I don't know much about it. I know that I have a switch under my dash with a red LED on it but they said it is only used if I add other applications to the tranny? Just to leave it on all the time.

Would there be any other reasons if it's not the TV cable. I'm just asking this cause I'm suppose to be going on vacation in 5 days and I kind of need to take the truck with me so I'm pinched for time.

Thanks again