Best Polished Aluminum Wheel Polish

Started by Learpilot, April 30, 2010, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I have a set of Weld Rod lites Wheels on my Dodge and they are in need of some help. They are still looking good, but could use a new polish.
What polish have you found that works best for you ? Do you use a power ball or just hand polish ?
Thanks in advance for your answers !!!!
Rick

UGLY OLDS

Rick ...This is going to sound crazy ....Go to the nearest BIG truck stop & look at the supply of aluminum polish ....There are some excellent brands made to polish fuel tanks ...aluminum wheels on trucks ...Etc ...I cant remember the brand I last used.  ( Kinda gave up on "polishing"..I now prefer "sudsing & wiping dry").   :?    It was fantastic & came in a 1/2 quart can for about $18.00..... :shock:  It was a fine white paste & looked kinda like "Mothers" but in a "BIG" can...Worked great for both hand & machine polishing.   8)
 It's amazing what can be found by shopping "outside the box" ..... :D

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

39deluxe

I bought a power ball a while back but haven't used it yet.

grazza

We have one over here in Ozz called Purple Polish, get it from Truck Stops and "selected" outlets, bloody brilliant, mate. Not sure if it's available Stateside, but well worth looking for.
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

Charlie Chops 1940

WENOL soft - in the blue tube seems to work pretty good for me. Tried Mothers and didn't think it got the job done. Used to think wadding compound was pretty good so I bought a new can of it a couple weeks ago but whatever the "active" ingredient was is gone now. I'll just stick with the WENOL.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I picked up some stuff at a truck stop, called Michiana Metal Polish that works good.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rob

Quote from: "Learpilot"I have a set of Weld Rod lites Wheels on my Dodge and they are in need of some help. They are still looking good, but could use a new polish.
What polish have you found that works best for you ? Do you use a power ball or just hand polish ?
Thanks in advance for your answers !!!!
Rick

Of the "Name-Brand" polishes, I've found that the Eagle One stuff works the best

Rrumbler

The last stuff I had anything to do with came from a truck stop store; my son got it for the wheels on his rig.  It worked just as well as anything else I have ever used for keeping them up, and I have used just about all of the major brands at one time or another.  Had a good friend who worked for Eagle 1, and a working associate who had a side gig with Meguiar's, and they were always bringing something for show and tell, and the stuff worked just fine.  I believe that it all depends on the condition of the wheels when you start; some take many more steps to bring them up to a fine shine.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Charlie Chops 1940

WOW, I just found out today that this polish stuff is mixed up at the Acme Shine-on Co. and distributed in every private label brand imaginable. That's why they all work the same....

I get the Acme brand out the back door for a buck a gallon. Comes in a white tub with a black label that just says...GENERIC Aluminum Polish.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

papastoyss

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"WOW, I just found out today that this polish stuff is mixed up at the Acme Shine-on Co. and distributed in every private label brand imaginable. That's why they all work the same....

I get the Acme brand out the back door for a buck a gallon. Comes in a white tub with a black label that just says...GENERIC Aluminum Polish.

Charlie
Is it Wile E Coyote approved? Sorry, I just couldn't help it!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

WZ JUNK

My neighbor, the truck driver, makes his own.  He shaves off some thin chips from a bar of white (fine) polishing compound, the stuff I used on my pedestal metal buffer.  Then mixes it with gasoline to make a paste.  He says that it works as good or better than what you buy.  It makes sense as the compound is the part that does the cleaning and polishing.  I have been meaning to try it but I might try another solvent other than the gasoline.  I am a little spooked about fires you know.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"WOW, I just found out today that this polish stuff is mixed up at the Acme Shine-on Co. and distributed in every private label brand imaginable. That's why they all work the same....

Charlie
Is it Wile E Coyote approved? Sorry, I just couldn't help it!

Oh yeah, in fact that's how I found out about the stuff. It was in a background shop at the Acme Dynamite Factory in one of the 'toons.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

I just found an old can of the polish I was talking about ... A 1/2 qt. sized container of  " ALUMACHROME" ...It was on the back of a shelf...I guess we don't polish many things around here any more .... :?

Bob..........
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

I remember an article in street rodder in the mid seventies that had a recipe for aluminum polish. The main ingredient was cream of tartar.