What steering box is it

Started by bucketmouth, April 30, 2010, 09:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth

Ok guys this is the steering box out of my 34 coupe that I bought from the states a couple of years back. Can some one please tell me what it is so I can buy parts for it. I'm guessing it will be something common for you folk.

I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

enjenjo

I believe what you have there is a Saginaw 525 box. I believe a mirrored version of it was used on some of the GM Holdens. Rebuild parts should be the same.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"I believe what you have there is a Saginaw 525 box. I believe a mirrored version of it was used on some of the GM Holdens. Rebuild parts should be the same.

I agree  GM 525
Don Colliau

bucketmouth

Cheers for that guys I'll chase that up on monday.

wayne petty

this might also help improve your knowledge..

http://www.powersteering.com/pdf/PowerSteering0106.pdf

describes how to rebuild one of those and about the different ratios available..

the part number stamped/cast into the box... comes back to 68 to 71 chevy novas as one of the many applications...

there are more steering articles on this link

http://www.powersteering.com/articles.htm

here is an article that covers a lot of different options in steering boxes..

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/0803rc_steering_box_options/index.html            with pictures...

GPster

You gona keep the driver on our (US) side of the car? GPster                PS If that's a Nova box it doesn't have a Nova pittman arm on it

bucketmouth

Trying to keep it LHD I'm currently working through it with the DMV. As you know working with the government is a slow process.

grazza

Have a look at a HQ box Chuck, the one you've got looks like the one I had in my AMCA racecar, which was a left hook version of the original HQ. I redid the yank box with standard Holden parts, I think  :wink:
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

bucketmouth

Okay sorted the steering box problem now for the next one.
The coupe has a 5.0 HO fuel injected motor in it. I've searched the net trying to find out exactly which one I have. I'm guessing it is a '86 or 87/88 motor. However all the sites I have been to haven't been very helpful. As these motors are more common to the U.S I'm hoping someone could put me onto a site where I could find the info from.
The '86 has a 58mm throttle body and the 87/88 a 60mm throttle body. The way I measured mine it has a 62mm throttle body which makes it even more confusing.
I'm a carby man and this is my first time with a FI motor. I'm aware it could have had a bigger after market throttle body fitted and the injectors could be anyone's guess at the moment.
The year can be critical to ordering the correct parts for these 5.0L motors so if I could find out what year it was It would sure make life easier.
I wish I knew who the original builder was so I could get the build specs for it.
Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

enjenjo

crawl under the car, on the right side, near the rear of the motor, just above the starter there is a casting number. That can be used to identify the model year.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

As to some insight into which engine you have: Most of the 86 and up engines have a 55mm. throttle body. Because you're not in the US, this info maybe way off. The 86 in the US has different pistons and heads that don't lend themselves to any mods. I assume that your engine is speed density. Speed density doesn't handle very many mods without a ecu reprogram. The standard eec iv mass air ecu will let you change many parts without too many problems. If you have specific questions , ask and I'll try to help.
TEAM SMART

bucketmouth

Had a look at the engine block above the starter and the only casting Nos I could find were FISE or that could be F1SE and that's all. I've searched different Ford sites without any luck. Do those Nos make sense?

zzebby

If it really is an HO motor then it will NOT be a speed density FI.  The speed density came in Crown Vics and Lincolns and similar.  The HO (I think) was only in the Mustang and had the mass air flow system and the good EEEIV  computor. It is a great system and like the earlier post, accepts mods.  Big difference is the firing order,  HO had a different firing order from the non HO motor.  Also the HO had bigger injectors.
Give us the numbers off of the computor,  should be A9L  or so and also give us the firing order and color of the injectors.
I have some extra parts kicking around if it comes to needs.

bucketmouth

Oh well I found the computer and found out this. It's out of a 1992 HO Mustang. You guys in the know might be able to tell me more about it from the photos.

I'm gonna see what I can find out on the net.

bucketmouth

Quote from: "zzebby"
Give us the numbers off of the computor,  should be A9L  or so and also give us the firing order and color of the injectors.

It has gray injectors with orange plastic tops and the firing order is 13726548
Computer No is A3M.
Have a look at the photos I posted earlier and see what you reckon.
cheers