air compressor lines.......again

Started by zzebby, April 24, 2010, 12:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

Just a thought,,,,, dig a small drain pit the same level as your buried line.  Make it so there is a cavity under there. Plumb a drain valve with a standing rod to the valve so you can drain the condensation that will accumulate in the line as it will be the lowest point and the coolest part of your air system. :idea:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Mac

110 feet is a long run and you'll have significant pressure drop. I think an expansion tank will be important and 1 inch for the pipe.
Who\'s yer Data?

jaybee

Thanks for the feedback on ground rods.  It's an issue we don't have in the Midwest with our clay soil and ample moisture.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

river1

on using PVC in a buried environment

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

check the 4rth bulletin down

found this on another website

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wayne petty

on using PVC in a buried environment

just brought back this memory i was about 8 miles away.. the ground i was laying on under the car dropped just about half an inch..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
this happened back in 1996..

A natural gas pipeline exploded Friday afternoon during routine testing, injuring one crewman and spewing chunks of concrete and asphalt over an Echo Park neighborhood.

The blast just after 2 p.m. blew open a trench 3 feet wide and 260 feet long in the roadway along the 1300 block of North Glendale Boulevard. Windows of a business were shattered

, a street light was knocked down and dispatchers got dozens of 911 phone calls.

Officials said there was no fire because nitrogen, an inert gas, was being pumped into the line when it exploded.

``You could see the rocks flying up in the air. Some of them hit as high as the street lamp,'' said Janie Peters, whose afternoon drive down the boulevard was interrupted by the explosion. ``I just sat there in my car. I had no idea what was going on.''

Southern California Gas Co. officials said they were investigating the cause of the blast.

`There was no excavating, no digging going on. There was an explosion. We don't know

why at this point,'' spokesman Mike Mizrahi said.

One crewman who had been working on the line was taken to Queen of Angels-Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center. Hospital spokeswoman Gwyn Dilday said the 38-year-old man suffered cuts and bruises, and he was expected to be treated and released.

Another man brought to the hospital with minor injuries from the explosion also was expected to be released, Dilday said.

Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said four women approached paramedics and were taken to nearby hospitals. He said they did not appear to be physically injured but were emotionally distressed.

A two-block area was temporarily evacuated, Humphrey said.

The Gas Co. crew was conducting a pressure test on a portion of a 7-year-old natural gas line that recently had been connected to new pipe about 4 feet below the ground, Mizrahi said.

The gas that normally would run through the line had been turned off, Mizrahi said. Instead, he said, the crews were pumping in nitrogen at 1-1/2 times the pressure level the line was designed for - to check it for leaks and ensure it was strong enough for use.

Mizrahi said the test is a type considered routine and safe.

``I would characterize it as standard operating procedure,'' Mizrahi said.

Northbound traffic was rerouted for several hours along a portion of the boulevard as crews cleaned up the debris and Gas Co. workers searched for the cause of the blast.

The line that exploded was not providing gas to the area, so neighbors experienced no disruption of service, Mizrahi said.

Scores of neighbors and their children milled around the area staring at the chunks of concrete ripped up by the explosion.

From across the street, they surveyed the damage, including crumbled tiles on a Kentucky Fried Chicken facade and broken windows on an art studio.

``It was like an earthquake, because it was a big explosion. It only took seconds to happen,'' said one in the crowd, Vinicio De la Rosa

The eruption rattled the nerves of shop operators and residents.

``I thought it was (a bomb) with all the terrorism happening,'' said Gloria Parise, who lives about four blocks away.

Photo: A Los Angeles fire official inspects damage from a p ipeline explosion that buckled 300 yards of concrete Friday in Echo Park.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i  remember the big chunk of sidewalk that was half way through the roof of the KFC...  
i also seem to recall their pressure regulator broke on the compressor or what ever they were charging the line to test it with... the line was pressurized over 2,000 psi...  i seem to recall 8K psi..

we... just felt an earthquake...    5.9 down at the swarm near the mexican border..

jaybee

Wow, the thought of pipe. Buried 3' deep opening up a crater when it rxplodes is an eye opener!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

UGLY OLDS

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

timkins

Go to your local utility company and ask to purchase
2 17# magnesium anode and 2 insulated couplings. Install an insulated coupling where the steel pipe enters and exits the ground. Then purchase some spray undercoating and paint the entire length of the pipe and let it dry and install the anodes. This will keep the pipe from corroding for about 15-20 years depending upon the length of the run and the diameter of the pipe.

Carnut

Guess I'm just lazy, I just went and bought an additional compressor for my detached garage and just use long hoses to get air where I want it.

timkins

Thats a way of doing also. Good Luck