What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carps

Hey Tony, just so ya don't think thay are picking on you, that rubbish happens here in Oz too.

Next time you see Bob K, ask him about the one month throw away phone we got for him when he stayed with me a couple of years back.  You'll laugh so hard it'll make you forget all your communications problems.   :(
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

enjenjo

I put the Marlin in storage today. I bought a car cover and everything.

I bought a tool box on Craigs list for $25. I mounted wheels on it today. It needs some clean up and paint, I plan on using it for my machining tools.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I have really got the bug lately to buy a decent milling machine for home shop . I am starting to get annoyed at people who post an ad and then never return an e mail. No phone #s given so no other way to contact .

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carps"Hey Tony, just so ya don't think thay are picking on you, that rubbish happens here in Oz too.

Next time you see Bob K, ask him about the one month throw away phone we got for him when he stayed with me a couple of years back.  You'll laugh so hard it'll make you forget all your communications problems.   :(

oh heck yes.  It seems universal anymore, poor customer service.

The last tech at my house on the final install... went above and beyond the call of the job.  Very pleasant , helpful.  he spoke clearly , he spoke up so I could hear him well with my lectronic ears.

oh well,  as they say; NEXT !

:wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Headed over to my Chevy nut friend's place today, gonna swap front hubs on my 99 GP GT where theres dudes working on stuff rather than alone in my driveway.  :)

Random thought: I see folks typing sort of quickly with "soft" keys on their phones (you know, a box on a screen rather than actual buttons on a keyboard) and I miss the sound of a typewriter. Yes, wierd maybe but in the 70s Dad worked for IBM fixing them (loves Selectrics, hates computers) and Mom worked at a bank. So at times I got to hear some ladies really wailing on a manual or electric typewriter. Its a lost art but wouldn't you grin today to hear 60+ wpm. Ha! I would.
Matt

Rrumbler

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Headed over to my Chevy nut friend's place today, gonna swap front hubs on my 99 GP GT where theres dudes working on stuff rather than alone in my driveway.  :)

Random thought: I see folks typing sort of quickly with "soft" keys on their phones (you know, a box on a screen rather than actual buttons on a keyboard) and I miss the sound of a typewriter. Yes, wierd maybe but in the 70s Dad worked for IBM fixing them (loves Selectrics, hates computers) and Mom worked at a bank. So at times I got to hear some ladies really wailing on a manual or electric typewriter. Its a lost art but wouldn't you grin today to hear 60+ wpm. Ha! I would.

Yep, it would sound so familiar.  I used to be pretty good with a manual Royal, and a girl who worked with me once could outrun a Selectric; she was a court recorder in another job and did all of her transcription on a Selectric, and was indeed fast on the keys.  I took two of our granddaughters to the local history museum once, and there was an exhibit on the early communications business; there were several typewriters from very early to Selectrics, and the kids were encouraged to try their hand on them.  The girls were absolutely fascinated with them, and even moreso when I sat down at an old Smith-Corona and wrote out a note for them.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

enjenjo

I am making big ones out of little ones. I have a bunch of 1 1/2" angle iron, nothing longer than three ft. I am welding on one end, and cutting the right size pieces from the other end. That makes all the joints random.

idrivejunk

Yeah typewriters are cool and a thing of the past but like smells, sounds really jog the memory too. Thats one of them. Another is the solvent fumes that would surround Dad's typewriter / copier service tool cases. He has the tools but the solvent is long gone ha ha. At least we can continue writing in cursive and it will be like Navajo code to the current generation.
Matt

river1

For a little bit of the typewriter experience on an ipad

Tom Hanks (yes THAT Tom Hanks) developed an APP

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/14/6002055/hanx-writer-ipad-app-released-by-tom-hanks
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

I made a slight mistake when laying out Josh's shed. I had the door on the left side as it sets on my trailer, and where it will be set, it has to be on the right side. So today, we picked it up, put it on stands, drove the trailer out from underneath it, and then put it back in from the other end. Then we set it back down on the trailer.

After we did that, we moved Frank's trailer out to the other shop, so I can get a customer car in the front building.

I spent the rest of the day building the frames for the rear doors on Frank's trailer.

enjenjo

I made one door today for the trailer. The next customer car came in today. It shouldn't take long to do this one. It's just a transmission change to a T5.

idrivejunk

I caught wind of my next one today, a FOX Mustang light resto. Also working a nice 65 Chevy Short Wide project currently. Today was inspecting / touching up prep work on and masking a 88+ Chevy stepside front half for a repaint. Its one of those "fade" jobs (black / red) that conversion companies loved so much in the 90s.

Replacing front hubs on my FWD Grand Prix GT was a snap over the weekend (friends helped for a jug of hand cleaner :D ), so now that car is a pretty good backup for the daily driver GTP. The GT has just sat wrecked and half fixed for most of the last couple years, its a total I kept. has eyeball alignment ha ha.

The guys all made it back from SEMA unscarred. We had a crummy spot for the car this year but I'm sure that show is nightmarish to organize and please everyone.
Matt

idrivejunk

I reckon nobody did anything last few days?

Had me a real treat today. Dad took down his chainsaw from the nail it hung on for the last 15 years and got it running again. It works fine, takes a few pulls to start cold but wow. Its a 1946 Clinton, cost $50 in 1963. Its a delight, makes me grin and takes me waaay back.

EDIT: Those were introduced in '59 per the internet, so maybe not as old as Dad thought.

Matt

GPster

Quote from: "idrivejunk"I reckon nobody did anything last few days?

Had me a real treat today. Dad took down his chainsaw from the nail it hung on for the last 15 years and got it running again. It works fine, takes a few pulls to start cold but wow. Its a 1946 Clinton, cost $50 in 1963. Its a delight, makes me grin and takes me waaay back.

EDIT: Those were introduced in '59 per the internet, so maybe not as old as Dad thought.

I'm surprised he found it still in one piece when he bought it. Back then it wound have furnished  a prime go kart engine. It might not start next time with today's "corn gas" in the tank GPster.