What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I've done the same , Tony. I think you will be fine.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

x2 jb works great if it is not exposed to hot oil .  I once repaired a gouged out deck surface on a 2.6 Mitsubishi with jb weld . it should work fine. the repair you have done does not reach the sealing ring on the head gasket . I would say you are good to go .

Beck

Quote from: "Crosley"repaired (I hope) a  bolt hole in a sbchevy block.  I eff'd this up months ago.

Drilled , tapped a 5/8 x 18 bolt. Grade 5.  machined it down to .800 in length.

JB Weld on threads. Set at surface level.

One more hole to fix.  Hope to save the block.  Block has fresh bore & hone, with little use. I'd like to save it

IF I have this right your repairing 7/16 NC threads??  
You could use this instead of machining inserts. If I have the wrong size others are available. Naturally 7/16 are the only size I don't have available or I would have you one in the mail. That size is not included in their "kits".

E-Z LOK Part No.: 329-7
Internal Thread: 7/16-14
External Thread: 5/8-11
Length (in): 0.656
Tap Drill Size: 17/32
Tap Size: 5/8-11
Minimum Full Thread Depth (in): 0.719

WZ JUNK

At noon Friday my son was on an operating table at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota for the removal of a noncancerous tumor on his pituitary gland, near his brain.  They used a noninvasive procedure called the gamma knife.   It was a success.  24 hours later I stood on my front porch, in southern Missouri, and I watched as he got behind the wheel, and drove away headed for his house.  He has no side effects, but he will take over the counter pain medicine for a couple of days.  

We often complain about the problems we have with modern technology.  Perhaps we should remember that the benefits outweigh the glitches caused by the changes.  We live at a remarkable, and pivotable time in the history of our world.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I'm with you, John. The learning curve is painful on lots of items but I always want to continue to learn.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

1962 Falcon car.

After 15 yrs, i decided to start painting the car .  JohnDeere Blitz black paint.

All I did was 220 sand DA and shoot.  Surprising how nice this sheet metal is straight.  Couple small dents is it.  I fixed nothing.  Body lines are crap like all cars of this era.

Only couple of bugs landed in the paint, I did the work outside
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"x2 jb works great if it is not exposed to hot oil .  I once repaired a gouged out deck surface on a 2.6 Mitsubishi with jb weld . it should work fine. the repair you have done does not reach the sealing ring on the head gasket . I would say you are good to go .

I have used the JB Weld in transmission many times , no problems with trans oil. We have used the JB stuff on C4 forward drums to re-enforce the area around the input shaft splines.  No problems. Let it setup over nite, machine as needed the next day  

The JB Quik stuff, is pure crap. It turns into sand like material

Also used a tube semi solid epoxy material, forget the brand.  You cut equal lengths of the A & B parts.. smash together..... Pure crap too on trans work in the oil.
Tony

Beck

Quote from: "Crosley"1962 Falcon car.

After 15 yrs, i decided to start painting the car .  JohnDeere Blitz black paint.

All I did was 220 sand DA and shoot.  Surprising how nice this sheet metal is straight.  Couple small dents is it.  I fixed nothing.  Body lines are crap like all cars of this era.

Only couple of bugs landed in the paint, I did the work outside
I tried the JD Blitz Black and another brand. I couldn't get the sheen to match on either when I painted it one panel at a time. It worked fine when doing the whole vehicle.

58 Yeoman

John, I'm glad it worked out well for your son.  The doctors at Iowa City did radiation treatment on one eye last October.  I had to stay there for a week, but we think they caught the cancer before it spread.  Eyesight in that eye is getting weaker, but I can still see.

I bought a used Teeter inversion table today to see if will help my lower back problem.  My chiro put me on one once, and it seemed to help then.  His prices are $60 per visit now, so I'm hoping this will keep me out of his office.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I watched as he got behind the wheel, and drove away headed for his house.  He has no side effects, ....
John
That's so good to hear John. I know this has been a concern for a while now.
George

river1

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I watched as he got behind the wheel, and drove away headed for his house.  He has no side effects, ....
John
That's so good to hear John. I know this has been a concern for a while now.

);b(  );b(  );b(

GREAT news john all this car stuff is nothing with out loved ones

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Beck"
I tried the JD Blitz Black and another brand. I couldn't get the sheen to match on either when I painted it one panel at a time. It worked fine when doing the whole vehicle.

I agree on that sheen deal.

The hood before paint looked like the Falcon roof in this photo below.

After 2 days sitting for paint to dry: I flipped the hood over, to remove the paper on the bottom side.  Of course the foam on my little holding rack , left marks in the paint.  Slight , hard to see marks.

After trying to sell the car last year, I will paint it.  

Many folks told me that they wanted to buy  the Falcon as it set.  Till they heard the price and  learn:  1962 Falcon did not come with front disc brakes, 5 lug wheels, fresh suspension in the front, C4 transmission, Hopped up 200 Inline 6 .  People thought I bought the car, bolted on wheels, tires  & headers.  Went racing.  LOL
Tony

Charlie Chops 1940

Recent Madness.

This spring I decided to thin the herd a bit as the level of "stuff" and cars and projects insured and taking up space and valuable time had gotten out of control. I did it in three steps advertising local on Craigslist and nationally via the HAMB.

First - I sold off some larger tools and equipment - TIG welder, louver press, a couple signs, enclosed car trailer and a couple sets of wheels.

Second - I advertised the 2008 Bullit Mustang for about 3 months and out of the blue I had a buyer from British Columbia - gone the end of June.

Thirdly I decided to put an ad together to move the '32 Brookville roadster project. I put the ad on the HAMB on Sunday about 3 weeks ago, Had response #1 in less than on hour, response #2 late Monday morning and response #3 about a half hour later. Sold to #2 around 2 PM. He and a pal picked it up Tuesday last week.

You know what? I haven't missed any of it and in some ways it has taken away or at least lessened the slowly growing sense of panic that I'd never get everything finished.

I'm making headway on the '40 Chevy redo and have the '40 Ford coupe waiting in the wings. I bought a '99 BMW Z3M roadster in the end of May just for grins to finish out the summer.

It feels sort of good  to have some room back and maybe some time to reorganize my shop that has been out of control for a number of years. All we can do is hope.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

sirstude

Just got back from looking at the "Speed Sport Roadster"  This was the one built by Rich Riddel in the 70's  Looking for more pictures, does not look quite the same, but not bad for 50 year old candy paint.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
You know what? I haven't missed any of it and in some ways it has taken away or at least lessened the slowly growing sense of panic that I'd never get everything finished.

Charlie

Agree with you Charlie... recent years, I have sold a large pile of cars & parts.

ALL Crosley stuff went.  I have 1 complete Crosley engine sitting here.  It needs a rebuild.  I doubt I will do that.  LOL

Only couple items I kinda wish I had back, but not to the point of buying them.

I sort thru stuff each week, see if I need it or not.   Thinning the herd
Tony