What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I was going over my truck in anticipation for the drive to deer camp next Friday. It's over 1100 mile round trip plus whatever driving we do up at camp. The brakes have had a little pulsing so I decideed to change the front rotors and pads. While I had the calipers off I wondered about the passenger side wheel bearing. Last year on the way home from camp the drivers side front wheel bearing started growling so I changed in when i got home. The passenger side was starting to make some noise if you listened real hard so while I had it apart I decided to change that one so i wouldn;t have to do it in the snow at camp. They are the bearing/hub deal, and a real bear to get out of the knuckle. the first one took me about three hours to beat out. I got smarter on this on and heated the knuckle and took a five foot piece of 2" square tubing and set it on a jack stand and up against the inside of the bearing with the other end sticking out in front of the front bumper; a few, quite a few actually, smacks with a large sledge and it started to move. I have found the best way to get someting out like that rather than to keep beating on it is to use a chisel as a wedge. I put a cold chisel in the small gap I had opened between the hub and the knuckle on the outside and just a few heavy taps and it came out. I'd like to know who thought it would be a good idea to put a steel hub through an aluminum knuckle! I felt like quite a hilbilly, but it saves me a couple hours!  :D

kb426

phat46, where do you go for deer camp?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I finished fixing the bumper on a Dodge Dakota, made a new center to replace a rusty section. Then I repaired the exhaust pipe on a commercial leaf vacuum, it kept setting the leaves on fire. I then made some hinges for a gate.

Then back to making parts for the AD truck. I made an inner fender extension for the left side, for some resont the parts I had would not fit. It might be because the pieces are a mix of different year parts.

I am running the heater hoses through the fender well, up into the side of the cab, then out of the kick panel behing the dash, through the old heater opening. So I silver soldered some copper line, and some elbows to make a water manifold in the side of the cab. There will be short pieces of hose inside the cab, and hose from the engine to the manifold.  It will eliminate any chance of hoses leaking where they can't be reached.

The AC lines will also run through the side panel behind the dash to keep the firewall clean.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"phat46, where do you go for deer camp?

I'm half owner of a camp near Iron River in the U.P. of Mich. If you're at all familiar with that area we're about 7 miles off U.S.2. T he road literally ends at our gate. We hunt about 3600 acres with about ten people. nice and isolated.

348tripower

Found the problem with the 4.3. Just as I suspected, the gasket had moved.

Now the fun part. Back in 1969, September as I recall, I bought a brand new 1970 Chevelle SS 396. Red with black stripes and a saddle tan interior.  Marriage, kids and a house removed that car from my life.

I have been looking for a 70 SS. Not too hard, but looking. I was dealing on one in Va. but we couldn't come to terms. I couldn't justify his price along with repaint and interior. I found a Malibu in Detroit last Sunday. A very good start to a SS clone. I sent out 4 emails to the guy only to find it sold for best offer. :(

Yesterday morning I got a call, a number I didn't recognize.   Low and behold the guy still had the car and re listed it on Ebay. The other buyer flaked on him. I made a deal and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon.   :D

This is a very solid foundation with a bucket seat interior, very nice console and a cowl hood. I will do a frame off on this one and change the interior from green to tan. I have a 396/402 in stock and a 400 trans waiting for me.
I guess I shouldn't use clone here. The thing I am looking for is a red, black stripe, tan interior big block go fast Chevelle. :lol:
Maybe 58 Apache will let me hang with him. :)
Don Colliau

rooster

I'M getting the 88 ford f150 out of moth balls to take the place of the broke down OLDS, looks like a muffler will get it legal.

GPster

Last week I purchased a questionable rear bumper for my truck and put it on to replace the one on my truck that was worse. When I picked it up I gave the guy $20.00 for the tailgate because it had more straight places than mine did. One latch was missing but my old latches were serviceable so I wasn't worried. When I got to looking when the missing latch had been removed the captured nuts in that side had twisted out. Going to the other side I found that one of the bolts was missing and that captured nut was broken out too. I tried my hand on the remaining bolt and I did the same to the last captured nut. Then I had to drill through the bolt's head so that I could get the latch out. So now I am re-old-half skinning my tailgate. I drilled out the spot welds (neater than the guy that dis-mantled the Crosley did) and will try to fashion a workable tailgate out of the pieces. My wife is out of town this weekend and she left me with the instructions to take it easy and work on something for myself like this tailgate. She still thinks I should have that 2001 GMC Sonoma and she probably thinks if she left me alone to think about it I'd come her way. GPster

kb426

I'm painting the floor of the box from the 32. It's all removable so I have it outside in 70 degree air. This is a really nice day for the 6th of November. I should be done within a couple of hours and I can start on something else. Tomorrow I'll put the floor back in and start looking for my next project. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

The floor is painted. The Taco mini bike and I have been for a ride and I'm enjoying 78 degree weather in November.  :)
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

I'm spending the day installing vapour barrier and hanging drywall on the ceiling of my new shop. Should be ready for insulation in a few days! It'll be nice to be able to keep some of the heat inside the building once it gets cold out.
Temps outside today should hit 60F or warmer which is quite unusual for this part of the country at this time of the year. I'm taking advantage of it while it lasts!

kb426

I put the floor back in the 32 and discovered that one of the machine crimped lines on the ac is leaking at the crimp. More fun in the future. I cleaned up some areas to get ready for winter. The wind has blown at least 35 mph most of the day so that has made it a little less wonderful.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Yesterday I traded  a 10 year old - low miles - Vision 44 recumbent bicycle for a 2010 Trek road bike. Spent the coffee hours this morning making seat and handle bar adjustments so it might be suitable for me to ride.

Then I raked leaves and tossed them in a trailer to go to the dump tomorrow.

Next project for the evening is a billet bracket for a flashing light on the back of the Trek. This might be one of the nicest bikes I've ever owned - certainly the nicest road bike anyway. Aluminum frame, carbon fiber fork, 27 speeds, arm rests on the handle bars for that delightful bent over posture, and satin red paint from the factory. I'll be styling with the racers now.....

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Yesterday we had to put one of the cats down, he had bladder cancer, and the vet could not help him.

I have needed a cover to mount the seat switch on the seats I converted to power. Today while working on the AC, I had a eureka moment, and came up with a solution. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Boyd Who

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yesterday we had to put one of the cats down, he had bladder cancer, and the vet could not help him.

Aww, sorry to hear that. We had to do that to one of ours back in January. Sure miss the little bugger.  :cry:

enjenjo

Quote from: "Boyd Who"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Yesterday we had to put one of the cats down, he had bladder cancer, and the vet could not help him.

Aww, sorry to hear that. We had to do that to one of ours back in January. Sure miss the little bugger.  :cry:

Third one we have lost in the last year. they were all old, but we miss them just the same.