What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I put my new garage door up yesterday. It set crooked :shock:  I checked it with my level, right on.  Then I turned the level 180 degrees, and it was waaaay out. So now I have a nice aluminum straight edge, and a new level.

Today I worked at Josh's house, hung a closet door, and installed paneling in the hall. Tomorrow I will start trimming out the windows.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Been working on this lawn art thing for a short while.  Getting close to finished.  Needs a little work and some legs on it. Gonna lean against the block wall, rust up the raw steel.

The frame is 2 x 2 angle iron, used to form a picture frame or window "look".  Three sizes of rod in the "plant" design.  1/4 , 5/16 solid  rod and 3/8 inch rebar.

The round  thingy in the corner  is a fin section out of a torque converter

Janice wanted something like this design.  She saw similar items in down town Phx a few yrs ago.

I am calling it her wedding anniversary present.  She likes it.  win - win
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

with the right hub cap in the middle of that torque converter it might look like a sunflower. Nice work .

416Ford

Looks good Crosley. My wife always says "You can build that" when she see's something like that or anything that she likes and we can't afford. :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"I put my new garage door up yesterday. It set crooked :shock:  I checked it with my level, right on.  Then I turned the level 180 degrees, and it was waaaay out. So now I have a nice aluminum straight edge, and a new level.

Today I worked at Josh's house, hung a closet door, and installed paneling in the hall. Tomorrow I will start trimming out the windows.

I bought a new drywall square..used it to mark..then I quickly cut(free hand) the plywood. Was way off..I thought it was me..did it again :oops:
Took the square back..they argued with me..I brought a known good large square.
  ALL the drywall squares hanging there were off 3/16" over 2'. Ouch.

chimp koose

I was taught to test the square by using a table edge and drawing a line 90 degrees to it then flip the square over and the line you drew should still match the square.

chimp koose

worked on my 84 f150 today.5.8L H.O. , got so tired of working around the non functioning A/C that I took it all off the motor. Now I can see and reach dizzy and carb without mimicking the kama sutra. took off the cruise control too,wanting to rid the truck of the spaghetti vacuum hose maze. Air pump and related whizz bang stuff eliminated long ago.I have been having an issue with the idle mixture screws doing nothing , to the point of having the engine run with them screwed in closed.Thought my idle speed was screwed in too much. Maybe the off idle transfer slot was exposed?Took carb off to see only to find the choke was not letting the idle speed step down completely off the high idle cam. At this point I check the power valve and verify it is a 6.5" unit and it works.I called a friend and borrowed his vacuum gage (jimmy Hoffa has mine). Slapped on vacuum gage and with a little adjusting got a rock steady 19" @600RPM . Weird part.....one mixture screw is open 1/4 turn ,the other 1/2 turn. Normally they start out 1 1/2 turns and you are at least close. Found out this carb QFT slayer, has tuneable idle air bleeds and that they are usually rich out of the box on a stock motor.I will get larger air bleeds this week. I like the idea of having the idle mixture screws a little more open than 1/4 turn from seated. Also this additional air may allow me to close the throttle plates a bit more.

enjenjo

The 351 I rebuilt a couple weeks ago. The owner installed it, and could not get it to start. I have spent the last three evenings trying to get it to start, and am having no success. I have verified cam timing, checked the ignition timing, made sure it's getting fuel, made sure it's a reverse rotation camshaft. Still, not a pop. Nothing. Not even a backfire. I am stumped.

kb426

Frank, compression, fuel, spark. What's missing?
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"The 351 I rebuilt a couple weeks ago. The owner installed it, and could not get it to start. I have spent the last three evenings trying to get it to start, and am having no success. I have verified cam timing, checked the ignition timing, made sure it's getting fuel, made sure it's a reverse rotation camshaft. Still, not a pop. Nothing. Not even a backfire. I am stumped.

Spinning the engine backwards to start it, instead of reverse rotation?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

Which side of TDC are you checking timing from . could you be checking your timing on the wrong side of TDC. What is the firing order with reverse rotation. could you be firing the plug just after bdc on exhaust stroke when firing order is reversed.That might give you a firing with no compression and not much if any pop. What is this engine going in to.

phat rat

Relaxing in Mt. This is what I have so far four roadster bodies including a 28/29 Brookville RPU,  Model A bed and the rear 1/4s of a 34 2 dr sedan. I have two COE bodies to pick up yet
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

sirstude

Jack

Sure sorry I missed you, seems to be a pattern, when someone comes through, I manage to not be where I need to be.  Like answering my cell phone.  We need to get you in my other buddy's yard one of these time.  More 50's and 60's type stuff, plus some older.  He has a 35 or 36 Packard there, the one year that has suicide doors.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

QuoteFrank, compression, fuel, spark. What's missing?

Getting it all together at the right time as far as I can tell.

QuoteSpinning the engine backwards to start it, instead of reverse rotation?

Same starter as was on it before. It does turn too slow to suit me, it's a Chinese rebuild.

Which side of TDC are you checking timing from . could you be checking your timing on the wrong side of TDC. What is the firing order with reverse rotation. could you be firing the plug just after bdc on exhaust stroke when firing order is reversed.That might give you a firing with no compression and not much if any pop. What is this engine going in to.

I verified the timing marks with a piston stop, it's within a degree or so. I've tried it both ways in case it's marked wrong. The firing order is 18456273. I'll go over there today with some more test equipment, and see if I can figure it out. It was hard to tell since it was cranking so slow, but it appears that the timing is all over the place when cranking. I converted it back to points to try and eliminate any electronic problems, but got no where.

It's in an 18 ft ski boat.

I thought about the wrong firing order, but it should at least pop back through the carburetor now and then. I am grasping at straws at this point. I have a feeling it is something simple I am overlooking, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is.

phat rat

Doug, I'm sorry I forgot to return your call. Hopefully next time we'll connect. I was in Helena to get a roadster body from Mark on Grizzly Gulch Rd
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.