What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

QuoteOkay That style adapter is NOT accepted by NSRA as safe for long term use due to chain stretch issues.

There is one made that uses gears, and that one will pass.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Talking about this one, Frank?  http://www.cenpen.com/box.htm

If I remember correctly the proprietor used to participate here once upon a time.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

just thinking about i was too big for these when they first came out..

http://imgur.com/r/funny/mi3k2H6

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"Talking about this one, Frank?  http://www.cenpen.com/box.htm

If I remember correctly the proprietor used to participate here once upon a time.

Yes he did.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "moose"

HOWEVER IF he is talking about an adapter that offsets the steering at the cowl and is basically two sprockets linked by a chain then that would be correct. The chain offset adapter in not NSRA safety program acceptable.

That style adapter is NOT accepted by NSRA as safe for long term use due to chain stretch issues.

How much chain stretch occurs on a low-speed, low-torque, application like this?  

I guess a lot depends on the size of the chain used.

Were these units actually tested for wear/chain stretch, or was this just a subjective opinion of NSRA?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

chimp koose

went to our local car show today. I was pleased by the number of street rods .There was also a 76 celica with a 4litre v8 swapped in.

58 Yeoman

Went outside to see the partial lunar eclipse.  Brrr...27*.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Went outside to see the partial lunar eclipse.  Brrr...27*.

Yeah, 26 here this morning, 1-3" of snow forecast for Easter morning... :?

enjenjo

Took the day off from Josh's house to get the spring cleaning of the yard done.

WZ JUNK

Hooley and I took the Henry J to the dragstrip.  It made its best pass ever but it was not a clean straight pass.  He tried to leave to early in the first round but again the car was wandering some and he had to get out of it.  A good day to be at the strip and we had fun anyway.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I spent the weekend finishing the frame out of one of the bedrooms on Josh's house. We raised the ceiling 12" and furred the walls out so they were even, but not necessarily square. :roll:  I have to finish the insulation and we can drywall it.

jaybee

Moved the '57 to my brother's garage in SW Iowa over the weekend. Everything went smoothly except for the timing. Uhaul overbooked the trailer and it had to be back to the rental place by 10am Saturday. As a result I arrived home from Kansas City at 7:15pm (thanks to a short day on Good Friday) and we loaded the car immediately. We were back in time for me to fall into bed around 3am.

Had a nice talk with a guy in a Dodge pickup when we stopped for a load check. His enthusiasm for the car made me smile.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

I mowed the lawn for the first time this season. This is a good thing because it means summer near. :) I also installed the halogen headlights in the 51 and lengthened the wiring to the alternator so I could move the master run over a few inches.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

got to work on the T today. I moved the front axle ahead 1/4" . Now it should be centered in the fender better . I also put my steering rack in place with clamps to check the fit . Then I started grinding away at the steering arms I made to get the most steering I could .These arms are much thicker than the originals and are still much beefier than the stock ones after grinding .The econoline axle was a straight one and this axle is a 4" drop so the steering arms come in contact with the drop in the axle .I have managed to get about a 40 degree turning angle in both directions which I think works out to about a 33' turning radius . When I modified the rack I made changes that allowed for 6" of ram stroke as compared to the 4" it had originally . With the steering set up as I have it , it takes 5 1/8" of stroke to get the tires within 1/4" of the radius rods. When I make my wire wheels there will be about 1" less back spacing so I will be fine with the clearance as it is now. Tomorrow I  hope to make the panhard rod .

chimp koose

I started on a panhard rod after determining how long center to center for the steering cross shaft from the rack to passenger tie rod . The rod is threaded left and right hand thread to adjust length easily. I still need to turn a taper at each end , for looks mostly . I got the steering unisteer mounting bracket tacked in and made a holding bracket to keep the rack body from trying to turn in the mount . Tomorrow I will start on the frame mount for the panhard rod, it will be the same length and same angle as the steering rod from rack to passenger side tie rod . Before everything is welded in I will run the suspension up and down to make sure there are no clearance issues anywhere . I also want to see if I have eliminated bump steer with this setup. If all works well I may be starting on firewall mods to mount the body soon.