What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, seems like 6.25 is standard for non adjustable rockers. That's coming from my 7 year old memory so that maybe way off.

6.248" is the original. Yesterday I measured 6.125" Today using a different method I came up with 6.500". So I double checked with a third method, and came up with 6.500" again.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

kb426

Frank, what's the choice for valve covers?
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Working at getting things sold or put away after my trip. This is what the trailer load looks like
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, what's the choice for valve covers?

He has a set of fabricated aluminum ones.

Crosley.In.AZ

friday evening I removed tail pipe bracket from 1948   Simca.  Also removed brackets for gas tank straps.

Spun the bolts out with impact gun.  Nothing broke off.  Dang Arizona car
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

That is pretty wow on a '48 model. I have been amazed by some really ancient threads before, maybe the older metals were more corrosion resistant. My 99 model car needs torch heat on everything for initial removal.

The five-oh looks crispy fresh. I can smell the engine paint cooking out now, mmm.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

This thread is for Tony & Wayne & all the others on the "Dry Coast" ...

You guys have heard me sing the praises  of my "Little Red Truck".. The go anywhere, anytime, nothing can stop it '89 GMC pickup..  I always took good care of it, trying to make it last a Long , Long time ... I bought this truck with 70K miles from the original owner in 2000 as a virgin .. No rust anywhere. .Maintained  just like I would have ..( I bought it from a personal friend) ... . It currently has 120859 miles ..Runs & drives like new ...until last Thursday .... :cry:

Thursday morning I noticed the truck sitting "funny"  ...
Kinda like this ..  \  /.....

Notice how the molding that goes from front to rear is no longer "level" ...
It kinds "sags" in the middle ?  

I found the back of the cab resting on the front edge of the cap ..

After some investigation , this is what I found left of the frame behind the cab  ..
The frame is actually broken through the lower & side rail all the way to the top flange ... The lower flange of the rail behind the right rear spring hanger is not even there..  I need to be REAL careful removing the parts that I want as the frame actually flexes & moves around when I try to unbolt things .. And this truck still runs & drives !!!  

BELIEVE ME ...    
Tony , Wayne & our friends that live where things don't rust do not know how good they have it .......

Bob ..... :cry:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

rooster

that really sucks

better check mine

river1

WOW that sucks

just two post above is an AZ car with little rust, quite the two extremes

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

58 Yeoman

Hey Bob...a little JB Weld and some bondo and it'll look good as new. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Wayne already sent me the "Key to Rust Repair" ...... :roll:

\/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/waynep712/theKeytorustrepair_zps5609b15c.jpg

Bob..... :oops:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

That's pretty bad even for a rust belt vehicle. A few years ago my daughter came over to have (another) brake line replaced on her Topaz. While under the car  i saw the rear floor mats hanging through the floor, upon closer inspection the car was rusted in half side to side at the rear frame "rails". I wouldn't let her drive it home. It had about 90,000 miles on it. When we were younger a friend had a Pinto that would buckle the roof when both doors were opened.... :-o

kb426

You guys tell rust stories that I can't imagine!
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Using a piece of lumber to fix that frame rail was a good move. It'll hold enough moisture to finish the job nicely.

I new a guy who stopped his '65' Galaxie for a stoplight, heard a "clank" when he hit the brake pedal to slow down, and a thump as the tire ran over it. Pulling off to investigate a foot long piece of frame rail had just dropped out on the road.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)