What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Josh and I started assembling his 5.0 for his Mustang. We had to modify the cam retainer to clear the double roller timing chain.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Another oddity.  Saturday evening my wife and I checked into a large 10 story hotel in Los Angeles, a city with the population of about 5 million and  1600 miles from our home.  We were standing in the lobby waiting for a luggage cart, when a friend, and former student of mine, walks up to me and says hello.  He was staying in the same hotel and just happened to be passing through the lobby at the same time we were there.  After our visit I never saw him again during the next two days that we were there.  The odds of this happening have got to be way up there, but it happened.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Good story, John. At least you were with your wife.  :lol:  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"Well, I misread the event folder. The Midwest Willys Jeep reunion was not about Willys but about Jeeps. There was not a single Jeepster there. I saw three station wagons, five pick-ups, four cab-overs and about twenty jeeps. The event was a good get together for old jeep likers but it came short of my need. I had taken all of my Jeepster  "Won't Use" parts down from the rafters of my garage and put them in the bed of the truck hopeing that they would be trading items for anything I might find and can use. I packed them so they would stay dry which was a good thing because as soon as I got out of the truck it started to rain. The rain didn't bother me but as soon as I got to the first pile of parts it started to hail. Everyone covered up their parts and the weather made that the order of the day.

What I did manage to collect this weekend was a slight bend in the rear bumper of my truck. Going to dinner Friday night I "cut-off" someone that I never saw when I was pulling in to a restaurant parking lot.

I thought that I had hit the curb but while I was eating a police officer came to me and asked me to step outside. He walked me to my truck. I was expecting that my front tire might be flat where I hit the curb but seeing the cop had me wondering if I had hit a fire hydrant. He showed me the bend in the rear bumper and then took me over and showed me the front fender of a car. The car that I had cut off didn't come out as well. The edge of my bumper had caught the front edge of it's fender and cut the fender from the headlight to past the front wheel well. No one was hurt but I was so "dumb founded" that I never even thought to say I was sorry. It's all starting to sink in now. GPster

Quite the weekend for you Joe.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I took yesterday off to get the 32 ready for the summer. I found that the rear u-joint had slop in it. The original battery would be 7 years old in October. I had to order the u-joint as it is a combination that nobody stocks here. This morning, I installed the new u-joint, the new battery and ran an additional ground from the top of the intake manifold the the original shifter mount plate on the tailhousing which is where every ground on the system is located. I've had the surging idle that is famous with eec iv. For the most part, the surge is gone. I was sceptical that another ground would help but it has. The 96 mustang that I removed a harness from had more grounds than I could remember. That appears to be what it takes to run a 5 volt system properly. Another lesson learned.  :D
TEAM SMART

phat46

Had a wonderful morning, I decided this was the day to change the seeping pinion seal in my Dodge truck. After I split the back of my hand open slamming into the floor the neighbor stops by and asks if he can use my compressor to inflate his flat trailer tires. Sure, bring it over. He can't back into my driveway from the alley so we decide to unhitch it an wheel it in.....of course it's loaded. We struggle most of the way in then he slips, falls and drops the trailer. The tongue slides down my shin and lands on my foot, taking a lot of skin with it. Fill his tires, finish my truck and go in to look at my leg which by now isn't working so well and starting to hurt. Yup several inches of skin gone, leg swelling up pretty good and foot is, um, discolored. Supposed to finish redecking my daughters porch, but I'm taking the rest of the day off.

GPster

Quote from: "phat46"Supposed to finish redecking my daughters porch, but I'm taking the rest of the day off.
How did you get your neighbor to time it so well? GPster

enjenjo

I replaced a rusty brake line on my big van today. It only took me an hour to get the rusty fitting out. Started at 9/16" and I had it down to 10mm before I could get a grip on what was left.

Josh and I have his 5.0 short block together, tomorrow we will start setting up the aftermarket heads.

kb426

Phat46, I'm sympathetic. I have those days too. Frank, what is the whole description of the 5.0?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Phat46, I'm sympathetic. I have those days too. Frank, what is the whole description of the 5.0?

.030 over 93 block, 10, 10 forged crank, new Ford motorsports rods, Sealed Power Hypereutectic pistons, new E303 Ford cam and roller lifters, new Mellings oil pump. Heads are Pro Comp 210 with good SS valves. Springs are 110 on the seat, 285 at .500. Cam is advanced 4 degrees. Comp Cams roller lifters, trick flow plenum, MSD, 1" plenum spacer.

enjenjo

We got the heads on today. We have plenty of piston to valve clearance, that was no problem. I checked pushrod length, came up with 6.125". That seems too short to me, so we are going to check that again tomorrow using another method.

kb426

Frank, seems like 6.25 is standard for non adjustable rockers. That's coming from my 7 year old memory so that maybe way off.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I started to take the windows &  door latches out of the doors on this 1948 Simca.  Dang Aridzona car... little bit of PB Blaster, the screws spun out easily.  Probably did not need the PB... used it anyway
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tom36

Quote from: "Crosley"I started to take the windows &  door latches out of the doors on this 1948 Simca.  Dang Aridzona car... little bit of PB Blaster, the screws spun out easily.  Probably did not need the PB... used it anyway

Living in the Northeast, that was just mean :lol:    Tom...

kb426

Fixing to get on the cycle and go to Memorial Day services at Garden City. It's a great day to be an American!
TEAM SMART