What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

A stationary belt sander is on my short list of tools to get. They're just so useful.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

UGLY OLDS

I have the bigger 6"/9"  HF model ..  I had some alignment issues to resolve during assembly but once set up ...It really does the job... Just don't use HF belts for steel & it will work fine ...  I get mine from a vendor up in Milwaukee that frequents one of the local swap meets ... He gets them in bulk  ...  Norton & some German brand ... Pretty good belts ...... Oh...   Also be VERY careful sanding steel on the disc...( The guard is plastic & does NOT seem to like sparks ....  :oops: )....

While waiting for parts for the snow blower repair , I spent today cleaning out the parts washer & re-filling with fresh solvent ...YUCH.....What a pleasant way to spend an afternoon..... :roll:  

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

Unoh, just got my nostalgia mood kicked in with the mention of cleaning a solvent tank.

My first job was as a gofor in a local 4 stall garage. It had a an old Maytag wringer washer as a parts cleaner tub. Like the one in this pic.

The wringer and guts were removed and the drain hole was welded up.

Cleaned many a greasey part in that tub thru the years and had to clean it almost monthly. Got quite familiar with various types of bristle brushes.

The garage was located adjacent to gas station on one side and an open dirt lot on the other side. So, when cleaning time came I would roll the tub out onto the dirt and just tip it over and spill out the old solvent. Then take a putty knife and water hose and spray wash out the 1" thick layer of gunk in the bottom. Guess you could say we were 'asphalt paving' the dirt lot in 1 foot sections at a time.

Then when cleaned and scrapped out I would set it back up and roll it back to the garage. The garage had those old freestanding pumps one each for clear solvent, trans fluid and bulk oil. I would then fill the washer tub up about 3/4's full with clear solvent and then put in a gallon of bulk oil to 'cut' the solvent just a bit. And we would be back in business.

I still have fond memories of the odor and ambiance of a dirty old garage.

Used to get clear solvent here at a local gas station that actually had a gas pump that dispensed clear solvent, but it closed down several years ago. I still have about half a 5 gal jerry can of that solvent left. Don't know what I'll do if I ever run out, Don't think anyone in town still sells it anymore.

I also spent some time Saturday replacing the power steering pump on my 61 Chrysler with a different one that I hope won't leak as much. Plumb wore me out, I'm just too old and feeble for this stuff anymore.

Carnut

Well now, in addition to my car addiction I'm also a bit into computers.

Just for grins here's my latest work and tension filled activity.

"Geese, what a day. I have a T1 connection which uses an IAD for connection to the net. I had a Vina eLink for 6yrs or so that worked just fine, but lately it started dying and loosing connect. I've had to reboot it several times over the last few weeks, so it was getting to be a bit of a headache.

I finally complained to Windstream and they sent out a replacement device a new Adtran Total Access 600B. Switched out easily and lights were blinking and all seemed well so the Tech left.

Then I noticed that my servers with Static IP addys were working but none of my Dynamic DHCP addys were working.

So a call to tech support and a long conversation a more than a few gut wrenching hiccups on my part we narrowed down the problem to the new Adtran can't be configured to provide both Static and Dynamic access at the same time. At least that is the story I got.

Seems if I wanted DHCP I had to hookup a router on my end to do the DHCP.

Well I whined quite a bit about having to put in my own router when my former IAD did everything by itself. So they relented and say they will send out a different device tomorrow that should solve my problem.

Meanwhile I can't be without my online access fix. And having several routers and switches in my possession, but all being dumped in a cabinet without setup instructions or matching walwarts, I dug into the mess and came up with a router and a walwart that seemed to match and went in and trial and errored my way into a working device that can access the net.

I really get tense and leary at working with these things now adays, I am getting old and have lost a lot of confidence and knowledge on these things, but apparently I've now got a working connection thru the router because I'm here, sure hope I haven't screwed up anymore of my network.

Well the new device that came out was one similar to my old one so it was concluded I would stay with the new Adtran and I would keep my own router for doing my DHCP connections.

Heh, heh, it's really scary for me not being connected, it's all I do."

kb426

George, I understand your statement about the tech stuff. I used to be good at this. I got better, more reliable equipment and don't have to mess with it very often. Now I have to relearn to repair things.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

It doesn't help that Windows 8 took the opportunity to change a whole bunch of things that have worked for YEARS, apparently just because everyone now understands them.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

purplepickup

Quote from: "jaybee"It doesn't help that Windows 8 took the opportunity to change a whole bunch of things that have worked for YEARS, apparently just because everyone now understands them.
I'm one of those XP guys that's gonna have to step out of my comfort zone real soon. :roll:
George

bucketmouth

Whenever I have an update or a patch or something that saids this will improve my computer I save it to my spam file :D
But then one day I turn my computer on and it's different WHY WHY WHY! :evil:

Well today I'm happy to say nothing has changed so I'm able to post my latest offerings. Here's what I finally got around to doing. I fitted my second wall cabinet,these are cheap but they hold all my polish,paint cans,cleaners and assorted aerosols freeing up benches and floor space how good is that :D

Now back to the coupe.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

river1

Quote from: "bucketmouth"Well today I'm happy to say nothing has changed so I'm able to post my latest offerings. Here's what I finally got around to doing. I fitted my second wall cabinet,these are cheap but they hold all my polish,paint cans,cleaners and assorted aerosols freeing up benches and floor space how good is that :D

Now back to the coupe.

What kinda car are you, there are still empty area in those shelves :wink:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

sirstude

Shoveling snow, mostly letting my son do the job and just working the edges.  There are some benefits to old age.  Anyway, there is about a foot sitting there right now.  The wife got stuck trying to get out of the garage yesterday, so got it all cleaned up and 4 more inches last night. Then of course, the plows filled the end of the alley, so here we go again.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

bucketmouth

Crikey I've never seen snow and to be honest seeing what you guys have to deal with you can keep it. We've had a fair bit of news coverage down here showing your extreme weather conditions and it's even a talking point here.
When I looked out the window this morning my biggest worry was do I wear a cap or not in the roadster .sorry  :)
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

Charlie Chops 1940

[quote="purplepickup"I'm one of those XP guys that's gonna have to step out of my comfort zone real soon. :roll:[/quote]

George, my desk top is an aged XP equipped HP unit. I took delivery a couple weeks ago of a new HP unit with Windows 7, which matches my almost one year old laptop. 7 runs pretty much like XP. I haven't set up the new one but hope to soon.

I think I will bring the old XP unit out in the shop where it can live out whatever time it has left. I did a new power supply a month or so ago and just cleaned up the drives,memory, etc. Should be good to go and has a good photo  program on it. I have an external hard drive to back up pictures once every week or two in case of a hard drive failure.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

I made a tool to work dents out of stainless.  I used a pair of Harbor Freight welding pliers ($4.00) and two coupling nuts and screws.  The screws make the male and female dies.  You adjust the pliers for the amount of push you want on the metal,  line up the male or female die over the spot, and then close and open the pliers.  Repeat applications slowly move the metal up.  It is amazing how far past level you need to push the metal to make progress.

I usually work the metal with an assortment of punches I have made and some different weight hammers that I like to work the punches.  I also make many wooden and metal bucks to hold behind the trim. These pliers allow me to fine tune how much force I want to apply and to locate the spot exactly.  In the end, it is still a very slow process and it is often difficult to place the pliers into a tight area.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Digger

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I made a tool to work dents out of stainless.  I used a pair of Harbor Freight welding pliers ($4.00) and two coupling nuts and screws.  The screws make the male and female dies.  You adjust the pliers for the amount of push you want on the metal,  line up the male or female die over the spot, and then close and open the pliers.  Repeat applications slowly move the metal up.  It is amazing how far past level you need to push the metal to make progress.

I usually work the metal with an assortment of punches I have made and some different weight hammers that I like to work the punches.  I also make many wooden and metal bucks to hold behind the trim. These pliers allow me to fine tune how much force I want to apply and to locate the spot exactly.  In the end, it is still a very slow process and it is often difficult to place the pliers into a tight area.

John
);b(  );b(
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

papastoyss

WZ JUNK, are you using the threaded end of one screw against the hex head of the other & what size screws did you use? That is a neat idea, be flattered cuz I'm going to copy it!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!