What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat46"
We acquired a 70 ft. Mobile home for our deer camp this past summer. It was plumbed with the grey plastic tubing. We decided to replumb 99% of it with Pex and ran it independent of the old system. We have to bring in our own water and store it in a tank so the majority of the plumbing is exposed. This makes leak detecting easy and the drain valves are all exposed. I used Sharkbite type fittings so it was very quick and simple to plumb it all. For a pump from the tank we use a cheap H.F. well pump that has been going for years, just transferred from our old trailer.

Few yrs ago, we looked at a motorhome, class A unit.  I asked several questions here about the RV stuff.

That MH was plumbed with the gray pipe.  Mice had eaten thru the tube  in several places.  I would think rodents would &  could eat thru the PEX lines too?

:?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "phat46"
We acquired a 70 ft. Mobile home for our deer camp this past summer. It was plumbed with the grey plastic tubing. We decided to replumb 99% of it with Pex and ran it independent of the old system. We have to bring in our own water and store it in a tank so the majority of the plumbing is exposed. This makes leak detecting easy and the drain valves are all exposed. I used Sharkbite type fittings so it was very quick and simple to plumb it all. For a pump from the tank we use a cheap H.F. well pump that has been going for years, just transferred from our old trailer.

Few yrs ago, we looked at a motorhome, class A unit.  I asked several questions here about the RV stuff.

That MH was plumbed with the gray pipe.  Mice had eaten thru the tube  in several places.  I would think rodents would &  could eat thru the PEX lines too?

:?

I suppose they could. But it was not something I ran across in 7 years of working on motorhomes. Rodents seem to be attracted to certain kinds of plastics but PEX does not seem to be one of them.

jaybee

I just used the left over PEX to plumb an extension to my shop air system. Can't find anyplace to say that's OK, but it's rated 160psi @ 140 degrees with no reductions or restrictions when used with motor oil. On top of that its failure mode is supposed to be a split as opposed to shattering like PVC, so it was worth a try.

The setup has a downhill slope from where it goes up into the rafters to a drip leg at the end. The service line tees off upward before dropping to another drip leg. That leg has a tee to a 24" semi-truck air tank of about 5 gallons capacity. The tank is mounted vertically so air enters at the bottom and exits near the top.

So far I'm pleased in every way. The goal is to increase air storage and get the air as dry as I can without an air dryer through multiple strategies. A lot of the moisture should drop out at my main, horizontal air tank which enters at one end and leaves at the other. While the plastic tubing doesn't transfer heat as well as copper, a 100' roll of PEX doesn't cost much more than a 10' length of 3/4" copper at current prices. Most of what condenses in there should end up in the drip leg instead of traveling up into the service drop. What does make that turn should mostly fall into the drip end. Much of what's left is likely to condense out when the air enters the auxiliary tank and fall out before it can reach the regulator.

As a bonus the new service port is less restrictive and pressure drop when I trigger a tool is a lot less. Pressure drop from where the existing service port to the new one is located isn't noticeable. The new regulator also has a filter and a clear bowl.

I won't have a full picture of how well it works until Summer when the heat and humidity return, but so far I see some water in the drip leg, a lot less in the drip leg of the service drop, and none whatsoever in the regulator filter bowl. That's a good sign.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

well.. last year i lost a double wide storage locker filled 5 feet deep with my collected shop equipment and other stuff for it..  valve grinders, distributor machines. work benches.. air compressors brake lathes parts storage cabinets hein warner floor jacks.. i only had 7 of them my manual collection back to 1935..  armature lathes with mica undercutters..  an amazing collection of goodies. just could not find a shop to rent for a decent price..  3 grand a month was too much to start up a single man shop.

friday.. i lost 2 of my cars to the LAPD impound..  there is an UNPOSTED 72 hour time limit on parking on the streets in los angeles.. i was on the phone on friday and did not get out there till 3 pm to move them.. the lapd officer said the empty lot owner across the street complained about those old cars parked in front of his vacant lot on the public street..  i have to time my moves with the Lets make a deal show and the arcenio hall show that starts taping about 3 30 or so..  i lost my collection of various car parts .. probably 50 carbs of various brands and models.. i have not needed to make a junk yard run for carb parts for years..  just dig thru the pile. cylinder heads.. transmissions...starters, alternators.  some more shop stuff..  all gone..

with mom lost on dec 17.. i have been in a tail spin..

even the wife is leaving..  

i cannot wait till the planning meeting on the new mega apartment building he is planning on constructing  on the vacant lot and 2 more next door to it..  wait till he applies for a variance on the number of parking spots he is required to provide on his site..  this is going to be fun..

back in the 90s.. there was a project 300 feet from where i lived.. wanted a 700 car variance.. so instead of 1400 car parking lot.. they wanted to only provide a 700 car lot and let people park on the streets.. in an area where no apartment buildings had any parking at all..    you should have seen their eyes roll when i ask them if they had FAA permission to put a 29 story building in the middle of the santa monica air port glide path..

jaybee

Wayne, very sorry to hear about tough things going on in your life. My condolences and a sincere wish for things to start going your way.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

Wayne ,I echo Jaybee's sentiments. You are sure going through a tough stretch over the last while.

Digger

Hang in there bud :!:  :!:
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

enjenjo

Heading back to Ohio today, wish me luck.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Heading back to Ohio today, wish me luck.
Are you pulling a boat trailer with a Studebaker truck frame on it? Take your time. Maybe the roads will be better in March. GPster

kb426

You guys up north might laugh at this: today was the first time I've run a snowblower in below zero temps.
TEAM SMART

river1

What's a snowblower? 8)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

Good luck, Frank.  Do drive careful.  Sorry I didn't get with you again about that stromboli.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

bucketmouth

Make sure you check your tyres before you go if you know what I mean :wink:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

bucketmouth

Wayne everything is worse in the moment but things have a way of working out.hang in there.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.