What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"I replaced the blower motor on the shop furnace, again, second time in two weeks. I bought an A O Smith replacement motor two weeks ago, it did not work right from the get go. It took a dump wednesday.I replaced it today with a vintage GE motor, and it works fine. They are giving me a refund on the A O Smith motor.

Had my furnace serviced,inspected 2 weeks ago..
  Quit the other day..circuit board had a good burn.
  Furnace guy says it was probably caused by some severe line voltage fluctuation..he says he sees that now and again out in the country with circuit board stuff.

enjenjo

Drove up to Defiance Ohio, and picked up my 48 Fleetline, I lost my storage, he sold the house, and the barn goes with it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

OK today I did a new one. We mess with students from time to time sending them for plaid paint or aluminum magnets etc. Today I walk into another teachers auto mech class and one of his students is playing with a cutaway of a rotary engine. This thing has one rotor and a sheet of plexiglass across it to see the inner workings ,about a 1/4 scale model. I ask if he knows what it is,he does not, so I proceed to explain to him that the square holes (ports) are where you stick in the carpenters pencils . This is a pencil sharpener for the carpenters pencils.The other instructor did a good job of holding himself together. Sometimes I just can't help myself ,its too easy.

Beck

Had my furnace serviced,inspected 2 weeks ago..
  Quit the other day..circuit board had a good burn.
  Furnace guy says it was probably caused by some severe line voltage fluctuation..he says he sees that now and again out in the country with circuit board stuff.

I had the same problem a few years ago at some of my rentals. The boards kept frying. I learned to repair them somewhat. I eliminated the problem by installing cheap surge protector power strips into the bottom of the units. After a little rewiring the furnace plugs into the power strip. Easy to disconnect all the power for service.

Crosley.In.AZ

one item I was able to complete welding on is the yard gate rebuild.

I had actually started this repair in january. Then I had the unexpected motorcycle crash with the drunk driver. Once I had recovered enough to finish, it was summer. I had no interest in welding , cutting, digging in 110*F weather.

New 3 inch diameter posts in new concrete.  I fitted the old parts into the new posts.  Took some trimming and fittin, we got it done.

Now to clean , sand blast, prep and paint.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

Guess I am going over to my Nephew's house to see the first start up of the coupe since his rebuild of it.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

George, don't forget video!
Tony, it looks good.
TEAM SMART

phat46

I hope that's a "fat man" style steering wheel in that coupe!

Crosley.In.AZ

Coupe looks like more fun than my recent rebuild of a gate....  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

Oh gee, sheepishly posting now. I don't have any videos yet.

Yes that is an original 'Fat Man' steering wheel, Troy is quite proud of.

Troy got the coupe started, seemed like on the first tick of the starter.

Fired up loud and idled fast, those pipes don't have any muffle just straight out loud.

Guess I'm a bit more conservative than Troy, I'd never even consider driving a vehicle on the streets, on a regular basis, with totally unmuffled pipes. Just a bit too audacious for me.

But I guess he gets it from his late father.

The blue coupe in this pic was Troys father Jonny Pates. I don't have a good pic that shows his coupe with the open headers he had on his coupe, They were individual pipes straight out and swept back like early dragsters were before the zoomie style came along. And if you llook close you can see the tips of a couple of the pipes just behind the front tire on Jonny's coupe. Jonny's only attempt to muffle the sound was welding washers into the ends of the pipes with about a half inch hole for outlet. Kinda made a funky noise but I guess it wasn't loud enough too get in trouble for and I was always amazed at that.

Heh, heh, and just for grins, here's a pic with nephew Troy hiding behind the tire on his dad's coupe on the left. The kid that now owns my coupe.

If and when I get my hands on the videos I'll post them.

Carnut

Ok, just got first video of the startup.

Posted it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFhmtYGH9Y

Glen

excellent job preserving the history of the car, what a neat piece for the family.

Carnut

Here's a short clip of Troys Coupe first drive.

http://youtu.be/iZZ5QpxeiZY

Here's the clip again of Troys Coupe first startup.

http://youtu.be/zmFhmtYGH9Y

Charlie Chops 1940

Decided to change the '40 Ford coupe I trade dthe track roadster for back to a clutch car. I removed the clutch/brake bracket from the car to find that the clutch end of the cross shaft had been sawed off. I went to press it out of the bracket but it wouldn't move. So I dressed up the end to where I could see the circular witness line of the shaft - which was interrupted in two areas by what I suspected was weld.

I drilled a 3/8"center hole in a ways and worked that up to a 3/4" hole that wouldn't drill past the edge of the weld. So, I set it up in the press again and pushed the shaft on through. The shaft broke away from the sliver of weld which remained to be filed away. Man, it was hard.

Looking at the original job, it would have been easy to drill and tap the shaft after it was cut off and secure it from pulling through with a bolt and large washer....or just tack it without cutting it off. Instead they hid their work under weld and paint.

Not the first "why did they do that?" that I have run into on this car or others. Often times I think I would rather start with a stocker than a "done" hot rod...

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!