What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carps

Same ol' same ol', boring huh?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "phat rat"
35 bags, 2100# of cement! Or was that supposed to be 3 1/2 bags?

Yep....35 bags in the ground today before lunch.  I have six left to start on the other side of the yard.  The dirt was very hard...nobody has been in there for years, I used a jackhammer to cut down.

holy smoke...  I just released it was 35 bags.  I have a harbor freight cement mixer if you need it.  About 2 bags (60#) at a time is capaicity
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"

Yep....35 bags in the ground today before lunch.  I have six left to start on the other side of the yard.  The dirt was very hard...nobody has been in there for years, I used a jackhammer to cut down.

holy smoke...  I just released it was 35 bags.  I have a harbor freight cement mixer if you need it.  About 2 bags (60#) at a time is capaicity

Did you about this place http://www.phoenixpullandpour.com/ might be a bit far from you to be convenient but you might be able to find a place closer
Gate looks like it going be nice, can't wait to see the finished product

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"

Did you about this place http://www.phoenixpullandpour.com/ might be a bit far from you to be convenient but you might be able to find a place closer

later jim

I used a pull n pour from a different company...  pure garbage cement mix.  The mix was waaay incorrect.  Of course I did not know this till about 1 year later when the concrete started to fall apart.

Thankfully , nothing important .  Concrete base for a landscape retaining wall.  Grass kinda hides some of it.
Tony

wayne petty

Quote from: "Glen"Here are my gates I said I was going to build.

4x4 main post .180 wall with 2x2x.120 wall runners.

I got these hinges and advice from a pro....These hinges are rated up to 2000 lbs., they have an internal bearing and are slotted on top for adjustment.

every time i see somebody building gates with hinges.. i think of these 96 K1500 welded control arm lower ball joints..  
link to the image below..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ksm/FA2099/image/4/

one could pre drill the edge of some thing like some 3/4" or 1 inch thick rectangular  bar stock.. so you could make a clamping ring for the lower part of the ball joint when you cut a slot that meets a circle cut..

this gives one the ability to raise and lower the ball joint body by perhaps 3/8 or half an inch ..

a tapered hole for the upper on the gate...

but using something like a dana 35 upper ball joint or a dana 44 upper .. even something like the upper on a 96 econoline.. so you have an eccentric upper bushing to allow you to change the angle of the dangle.  again with the cut and bolted clamping ring.. to allow one to turn the offset bushing and to raise or lower the ball joint body..

yea.. its kinda crude.. using car parts for gate hinges.   wait till somebody sees my idea for wind turbines using front brake hub and bearing assemblies mounted on the steering knuckles.. so the brake rotor and disc brake caliper could be used also.. to be able to stop the turbine. a shaft coming right thru the splines to run a generator..  but the pole also being mounted right to a vertically mounted hub and bearing assembly..   again with a disc brake rotor.. and a caliper to clamp it.. but also some kind of drive.. perhaps carved into the cooling fins of the rotor to allow a motor drive to change the angle of the blades above.

i have a friend in california city where every afternoon.. he gets 30 to 70 mile an hour winds.   he was out in his pickup one day when a gust caught him.. and blew the mirrors flat on his truck..

wayne petty

also during my voyages around hollywood today.. there were 3 hotrods right on my street.. made a loop around and headed back to sunset.. i followed as i was going that way to..  the last of the 3 was a very nice ford roadster.. as i was following i noticed the right rear wheel on the roadster was wobbling ... a random wobble..  i mentioned it to them but they kind of blew me off.  i kept after them.. the passenger looked back at the tire while they were rolling along and his eyes kinda got wide..  i offered tools but they called the lead car that had tools.. i blinked and they all vanished.. did not know which way they went.. but i feel i did a good deed for today.

river1

later jim

I used a pull n pour from a different company...  pure garbage cement mix.  The mix was waaay incorrect.  Of course I did not know this till about 1 year later when the concrete started to fall apart.

Thankfully , nothing important .  Concrete base for a landscape retaining wall.  Grass kinda hides some of it.

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with pull and pour, I have used various companies three times and no problems at all

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with pull and pour, I have used various companies three times and no problems at all

later jim

Possibly a bad mixing  guy the day I used the device.  i also had problems with the hydraulic brake system on the trailer.  it would lock the tires up as I slowed down  and the unit would bounce.

I had a contractor neighbor look at the concrete falling apart..  he said concrete was too wet when poured and not enough cement added.  Oh well, I bought the HF mixer and all works welll so far
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Loaded up car stuff.  Swap meet tomorrow at Glendale AZ College, June 2

Go see if I selll some stuff or buy some stuff.  LOL
Tony

Boyd Who

I stopped at an antique store in the middle of nowhere today and found these...

The price was right and there's very little rot in them that I can see.

chimp koose

Boyd Who .....SCORE! T doors with window trim.Dare we ask how much?They wouldn't have a coupe trunk lid there would they?

Arnold

Psyching myself up to re-do the roof on my shop :twisted:

This should be fun.

Old barn(with a drive door). 42X22 16' high. Concrete pad. At least the wood looks all good.See what the top looks like when stripped.

Layer 1..tin.Layer 2..shingles (nailed through the flaps too :roll: ).Layer 3..ditto. Layer 4..ditto. Not done yet. Layer 5..roll roofing laid at 90deg.

All coming off.

I bought it this way.

It still barely leaks :D I have been relying on mother nature to do some of the stripping :D .I live in a high wind area.

I re-roofed a house for someone that had..1 layer of cedar shingles,3 layers of shingles,another layer of cedar shingles,2 more layers of shingles.The last layer of shingles was pounded in with 3 1/2" twist nails :roll: There were 9 tons on this roof..caused extensive damage.
This house was slated for demolition..city ordered.Saved that house.
 Building code here allows for 2 layers. No one puts one layer over another here anymore. Just doesn't last.Building code also allows for
3/8 ply on 24" centres with clips.Ya that is gonna last in the snow belt :roll:

Metal seems to be the way to go..but at 3 times the cost. Metal roofs for the average house here start at about 20-25K. Tin alone here with NO fasteners,rubber washers starts at $20 for a piece 20"X8'

Rrumbler

Yeah, tear-off is a pain in the rear end; that's why so many "roofers" scab a new on over an old one.  Better to do it right, tear it down to solid, whether that is the sheathing or the rafters, and start up from there.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

wayne petty

Quote from: "Arnold"Psyching myself up to re-do the roof on my shop :twisted:

This should be fun. All coming off.

got some long 2 x 10s or 2 x 12s. some other 2x for cross bracing..

this was made up of 8 foot galvanized Corrugated  roofing panels with holes punched in one end to screw into place then cover with the next one up...  it was originally fiberglass roofpanels as they were already on site  but some jack decided to toss a complete toilet down it..

it saved 88 steps each way...  the slide alone covers 68 steps..

a springy board was screwed across the hand rail uprights when the dumpster was not there.  a different person actually rode it down with a box .. .TWICE..  glad that board had bounce..  the lady across the street was worried that stuff might end up in her yard.  only a few pieces bounced off the top of the big dumpster and hit her fence..

GPster

I;ve been most of the week in Cincinnati with grandkids but I got to do something that I've been trying to do for a couple of years, I got in contact with a shop through the "Ol' Skool" forum and I've been trying to visit him on a trip but it hasn't happed. The shop's name is  "Cornfield Cusoms" and it's now in Loveld, Ohio. Made it to the shop on Wednesday and he mentioned that he was havng an "open house" Sunday so the grandson and I drove over. A lot of his customers were there wth their cars and his shop was full wth customer's projects under construction. It seemed to be smewhat of a  "Rat Rod" type of gathering but the quality of his work is before or under any gaudy sick-ons. He is a goverment certified welderand seems turn out good quality fabrication. Nice place to visit. GPster