What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Here's an open letter written by a bike rider that sort of pertains to those of us that still choose to ride:  http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/06/an-open-letter-to-every-person-i-meet-who-finds-out-i-ride-a-motorcycle/
George

phat46

Quote from: "Arnold"
Quote from: "Rochie"Hey Tony,
I'm glad to hear you're progressing. Any motorcyle collision can be brutal.
You might want to re-think your colour choice for the next bike.  I used to run the Motorcycle licencing program at our local college. Here in Ontario you don't have to take a training program to get your licence, BUT, the insurance rates will reflect the absence of a training program. I got a copy of a survey done in the province of Quebec.  THE most collision involved colour for cars bikes etc., was ...ready ...wait for it....RED
Seems they can't see it ???  Or any other colour for that matter!!!
I wish you a speedy recovery and keep the shiney side up, OK?

I got my bike licence so long ago that it was right around that time..maybe a few years earlier.. when they stopped licensing
BICYCLES. That they NEED to AGAIN in Toronto!
   My bike licence: There were NO training programs. Just be 16 years old and buy a 650 Triumph Trophy :D ..and learn to ride it..without a licence.In a big city..Toronto.When you were ready to take the test..just ride over to the Ministry..right on Highway 401.. a BUSY! large, multi lane divided highway(the only place to take the test) like EVERYBODY ELSE with no licence.Write the written test,make an appointment for the driving test. Ride home still with no licence. They gave you a "licence" at that time for ONE DAY :roll: I kid you not :!: SOoo that you could ride over to take the test.
If you passed.. you kept your 1 day licence got your licence :roll:
   If you failed..they took away your licence and there were cops there to make sure you did not ride home without  a licence :roll:

Got my Michigan Motorcycle liscense without ever taking a road test. All you did was take a written test, something like 25 questions and if you got most of them right you got your Cycle Endorsement. That must have been about 1971 and I have kept the endorsement active since then although I haven't owned a streetbike in decades. Now you have to go to "Motorcycle school" and take a riding test before you get it. Must be pretty easy to pass judging by some of the idiots riding bikes now. Between them and the kids getting a drivers liscense with two hours of time behind the wheel in drivers ed. it's a wonder they don't all just crash into each other all day! ( geeze, I sound like an old man today...wait... it's my 60th B-day today, I Am an old man!!!) :shock:

Arnold

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "Arnold"
Quote from: "Rochie"Hey Tony,
I'm glad to hear you're progressing. Any motorcyle collision can be brutal.
You might want to re-think your colour choice for the next bike.  I used to run the Motorcycle licencing program at our local college. Here in Ontario you don't have to take a training program to get your licence, BUT, the insurance rates will reflect the absence of a training program. I got a copy of a survey done in the province of Quebec.  THE most collision involved colour for cars bikes etc., was ...ready ...wait for it....RED
Seems they can't see it ???  Or any other colour for that matter!!!
I wish you a speedy recovery and keep the shiney side up, OK?

I got my bike licence so long ago that it was right around that time..maybe a few years earlier.. when they stopped licensing
BICYCLES. That they NEED to AGAIN in Toronto!
   My bike licence: There were NO training programs. Just be 16 years old and buy a 650 Triumph Trophy :D ..and learn to ride it..without a licence.In a big city..Toronto.When you were ready to take the test..just ride over to the Ministry..right on Highway 401.. a BUSY! large, multi lane divided highway(the only place to take the test) like EVERYBODY ELSE with no licence.Write the written test,make an appointment for the driving test. Ride home still with no licence. They gave you a "licence" at that time for ONE DAY :roll: I kid you not :!: SOoo that you could ride over to take the test.
If you passed.. you kept your 1 day licence got your licence :roll:
   If you failed..they took away your licence and there were cops there to make sure you did not ride home without  a licence :roll:

Got my Michigan Motorcycle liscense without ever taking a road test. All you did was take a written test, something like 25 questions and if you got most of them right you got your Cycle Endorsement. That must have been about 1971 and I have kept the endorsement active since then although I haven't owned a streetbike in decades. Now you have to go to "Motorcycle school" and take a riding test before you get it. Must be pretty easy to pass judging by some of the idiots riding bikes now. Between them and the kids getting a drivers liscense with two hours of time behind the wheel in drivers ed. it's a wonder they don't all just crash into each other all day! ( geeze, I sound like an old man today...wait... it's my 60th B-day today, I Am an old man!!!) :shock:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D
  1971 was a BAD YEAR! for me too(Got my bike licence too that year!)
I went from fast streetbikes decades ago..to just filthy stoopid powerful
fast dirt bikes..to nothing..a long time ago.
  I still downhill ski..have all my life :twisted:
  Bike accidents here=young inexperienced riders+really high powerred bikes.
  I used to tell myself that when I could afford it I would get a drag bike and trailer it to the strip. I can afford it and have not done it. YET.
I think part of that was a 10 second bike. 10 second street bikes were a very long time ago. I cannot even imagine a 200HP bike.
:cry: I have gotten old.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I'm not sure about the color red Tony.  My '02 Wing was red, and people still didn't see me.  My '07 is burnt orange, and it might as well be invisible too.  Good luck with your color choice, and I'm glad you're healing up.

you are correct, colour does not matter.  Most cycle riders KNOW we are invisible. I've owned a titanium and  red Goldwings. I did not kill them off like the yellow bike

Loud pipes just * off people, but mayb they are safer with loud pipes?

I've been licensed for motorcycles since 1970 when I turned 16... before that i owned a couple of Cushman scoots.  AZ dropped scooter license the year I was 14.  Scooter license was for 5hp or less. On a Cushman you installed the higher HP engine and went riding

Anywho ... I will start the search for replacement Goldwing in february

:T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I'm scraping the ceiling in about 1000 sq. ft. in my house. I'm just putting paint back on. I wanted to do something better but I don't have the skill with texturing to do a large room and make it look right. If I have a good weekend, I'll be done by sunday evening.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"I'm scraping the ceiling in about 1000 sq. ft. in my house. I'm just putting paint back on. I wanted to do something better but I don't have the skill with texturing to do a large room and make it look right. If I have a good weekend, I'll be done by sunday evening.

I was ABOUT to do that. But my buddy..who does this sort of thing just got a textured roller.Looked pretty simple..came out really nice.My .01.

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"I'm scraping the ceiling in about 1000 sq. ft. in my house. I'm just putting paint back on. I wanted to do something better but I don't have the skill with texturing to do a large room and make it look right. If I have a good weekend, I'll be done by sunday evening.
Did that in a house last weekend, a hallway, living room, dining room and the kitchen. It went remarkably well, very messy though. Just sprayed the texture stuff with water and scrape. Lots of tape and plastic to protect things. Then they wanted us back the next day to paint it all! Easy money!

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I'm all done scraping and half done with mudding. The original work wasn't real good. If tomorrow goes well I'll get it painted. I bought a new weed sprayer to do this. My old one was leaking pressure too quickly for a job this size. Probably a good $20 investment.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I took the Flat Cad Bonneville car back to my friend Randy's shop.  He has some fabricating work to do on it and install the narrow front axle.  I am waiting for SCTA to rule on the hood scoop that I built.  They do not like it and they are to let us know soon what changes I will need to make.  It is of the same design as the one I built for Hooley but now they do not think it is legal.

I designed and made the patterns for the rear spoiler and I will get the parts made up for it.  The next step will be the aero front end.

Sometime soon I will start making the panels to lengthen Hooley's Studebaker front end.  We are adding 24 inches between the door and front wheel opening.  I will build molds and make the parts  for the splices.

I have a 34 Ford coupe coming next week for some work and I really need to get back to some of my own stuff.  I do not know how I am going to get all this done.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I hear what you said, John. Never enough time for me either.
TEAM SMART

sirstude

Yesterday's travels

The simple path is should have been.  Get to the Helena airport at 4:45, take off at 6:00, get to Salt Lake City at 7:30 or so.  You can't go anywhere from Helena without going through Salt Lake City.  Sit there or 3 hours then fly to Burbank, and get there about noon.  Grab rental and drive to Calabasas and check in.  Scope out route to training center, then go to the beach, rain or shine on the beach.  

Actual day.

Get on plane and get ready to leave.  Salt lake airport closes because of low visability.  Get off plane and sit around for 2 hours.  Get back on plane and head off.  Get almost to Salt Lake and the close the airport again, so we will circle.  Airport opens, and we make 2 attempts to land.  Then we go back north to Pocatello ID.  Land there along with 6 other CRJs.  There is a pop machine and nothing else there.  I have not eaten since Friday night and my blood sugar is down to nothing ( I am Diabetic).  Grab a pop off the machine and stand around.  The Cell signal is no existant since there are a hundred or so people trying to hit the single cell tower in Pocatello.  After an hour or so, the first plane gets to leave, our crew has met it's hours allowed so our plane is grounded until Sunday.  They finally stuff us on the other 2 planes and we all get out, but our luggage is still in the plane on the ground.  Get to Salt Lake about Noon, and start the process of getting rebooked.  The guy at the front of the line is trying for Burbank and they are telling him there is one seat left, possibly.  After a while one of the other Delta ticket agents takes pitty on me and takes me over to another location and starts working.  She looks and says the flight is only oversold by 1 and says it should be ok and books be with a seat location for the 4:50 flight.  She then trys to make sure my luggage will follow but it does not even show up (still in Pocatello) and tells me I will need to file a claim when I get to Burbank to have it delivered to my hote.  Get to Burbank about 7:00 or (8:00 my time) and make sure the rental car place will be open for a bit, and then get ready to find the baggage guy.  Figure I better make sure it does not arrive (just in case) before I start any paperwork. Looking up the line when it starts and the 3rd bag looks like the bottom of mine. it was!  Thank you Delta.  Picked up my rental and started the next process.  I am absolutly turned around and the directions are not working for me.  After a few wrong turns I get to the Hotel, not used to driving in a sea of taillights.  We might see a couple of dozen cars on 2 lanes at home, not 4-6 lanes of solid red lights. What a day.

Today I am headed up to the Roadster Show in a couple of hours and hope to meet Glen there.  Always nice to put a face to a name

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

Heading to the shop to finish cleaning up the wheels on the Goldwing, getting it ready to sell come spring.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

I went to the Dr this morning, he said I was normal.......As I could expect. This afternoon I started making a rear end stand, for building rear ends.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

Quote from: "sirstude"Today I am headed up to the Roadster Show in a couple of hours and hope to meet Glen there.  Always nice to put a face to a name

Doug

Nice to meet you, thanks for stopping by and chatting.