What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I drove up to Mount Clemens, Michigan to look at a Mustang body today. A pretty nice one reasonably priced. Now if I can just get the owner of the one I have here to pull the trigger.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

today... one of the guys who lives down the street was standing looking under the hood of his 03/04 jeep liberty..

he had the engine replaced about 2 months ago when it overheated because of a radiator cap failure going up the grapevine...

i measured his battery voltage and it was at 12.1.. about 25% charge..

it would click.. sometimes..  sometimes it would almost crank.. it was strange..  but when i turned on the headlights.. they stayed bright while the engine failed to crank.. HMM...

with the volt meter still set to 20 volts DC.. i tested between the Negative battery post and the engine block while he attempted to crank the engine.. instead of the fraction of a volt...  i found 8.5 volts.. while attempting to crank....

even with jumper cables hooked to the battery from my van... it would not crank...

so i moved the jumper cables so both clamps were on the NEGATIVE TERMINAL.. and both on the other end were clamped to the engine block...  

and guess what.. the engine cranked right up... here.. i snapped a picture...

this negative battery cable to the engine block use of jumper cables might be an idea to keep in the back of ones head... to test hard to crank engines... see if the ground wires are properly hooked up ..  the voltage drop testing #2 works great while cranking also...

later on when i could get it off the street... i found the ground strap from the back of the block hooked up on top of the coolant recover bottle...

but then i looked carefully...  the ring terminal was MELTED into the bottle surface..

you can see that on the left side of this image...

what i also found.. but i don't have pictures of because i could ONLY feel it with my arm up through the front suspension... the battery negative cable..  the end that connects to the block.. was NOT connected to ANYTHING.. it was just dangling under the driver side exhaust manifold..

the guys who put the reman engine in.. just left it dangling.. or the screw was left loose and it vibrated out..

i never did feel a place to hook it up to... but i will tomorrow after i search out a ground wire connection image online someplace..

everybody might want to make a copy of this test (print it out)  run it on all the cars in your driveway.. or that you work on..

art.flame

well it's been a while since ive been here but i'm helping out my wasters cc bro with his chevy
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729081

enjenjo

Quote from: "art.flame"well it's been a while since ive been here but i'm helping out my wasters cc bro with his chevy
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729081

You do nice work, but we already knew that.

Crosley.In.AZ

Photo of my right arm 01-16-2013... it was run over by the suburban.  I was blacked out at the moment
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Beck

Crosley - For a second there I thought we were showing tatoo photos here.  Ugly!

enjenjo

That's gonna take some healing :shock:

purplepickup

Man, that's gotta hurt Tony.  

Is there some way you can see Jesus's face in there somewhere?  You could charge admission.......never mind.... :roll:
George

kb426

Tony, that's surely the largest bruise in one place that I've seen. Hope it hurts less than it looks.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

BFS57

Hello;
I don't want to even ask!?

Bruce

Glen

Quote from: "Beck"Crosley - For a second there I thought we were showing tatoo photos here.  Ugly!

I thought the same thing, i cruised thru this thread during lunch on my phone.  Does that say goodyear on it?  :shock:

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Photo of my right arm 01-16-2013... it was run over by the suburban.  I was blacked out at the moment

no *' the gherkin for you!

how ya doing?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Crosley"Photo of my right arm 01-16-2013... it was run over by the suburban.  I was blacked out at the moment

Hey Tony .......  The other guys  WERE right ....  
It DID leave a mark .... :lol:

Hope you are feeling better soon ...

Bob ....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Beck"Crosley - For a second there I thought we were showing tatoo photos here.  Ugly!

Some of the design texture in my arm like the 2 lighter stripes that seem to run around the arm .....  that must be from tape I use.  I am strapping on those chemical "heat pads" , I use tape to keep them in place.

Those "heat pads"  that are air activated.  They help with the swelling and pain.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)