What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Crosley"Trying to figure a method to install light springs between the brake pads on front disc.  I want to reduce the resistance on the car as it accelerates

Just take brakes off. You will be using a chute, right? :lol:

Later jim

The Falcon is not fast enough to deploy a chute
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rrumbler

Still trying to get moved out of my shop at the old place; escrow is supposed to close in a week or two, and I can't figure out where or what to do with all of the stuff.  I fill boxes and boxes, and still have way more stuff than I know what to do with.  I filled up a 10 x 15 storage unit with most of my machines, and stored stuff from the garage and office and my gun shop, and hate the idea of having to rent another unit.  Think I'm going to have to give the scrappers some business.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

phat46

Fixed the starter on my sisters Caravan today, it was just "clicking" a couple times before it would start. Her husband has terminal cancer so they need to be able to go at a monents notice. The nice thing for them was that I could put new contacts in the starter and save them the expense/trouble of a "new" starter. Bit of a hassle on those things to get to the starter but worth the peace of mind when it's done. This was a Denso starter, I wonder what other brands have replaceable contacts in them. Supposedly that is the same starter used in Toyotas.

enjenjo

I drove up to Westland Mi to pick up soda and candy for Fatcat's store.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Crosley"Trying to figure a method to install light springs between the brake pads on front disc.  I want to reduce the resistance on the car as it accelerates

Later jim

Hence the laughing smilie 8)

Later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

Tony, would it be an option to put drum brakes on so there was no drag????
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Later jim

Later jim

but, I'm not laughing.. is 86 mph enough to even keep a chute off the ground?  :oops:
Tony

phat46

Later jim

Later jim

but, I'm not laughing.. is 86 mph enough to even keep a chute off the ground?  :oops:

You don't need no stinking front brakes....that big hole you're gonna have where the headlight used to be should slow you down pretty fast... :lol:

1800guy

Re: Front caliper drag.  Normal run-out of the rotor should kick the pads back enough so as to not have pad drag, assuming the calipers are in good condition.  If there is not enough run-out, or you just want more, there are shims made to go behind the rotor to correct excessive run-out. It seems they would also work to add some. Keep in mind that moisture in the fluid can cause expansion, pushing the pads out and causing drag, also.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Tony, would it be an option to put drum brakes on so there was no drag????

That is an option.  

I would like to keep the disc brakes since I took off 4 lug spindles and drum brakes to install the 5 lug disc brakes from a Ford Maverick.

i need to look at the calipers.  Maybe some light springs or rubber bumpers between pads to open them slightly after peddle is released
Tony

Glen

do the brakes have a Residual Pressure valve in the MC or inline?  if its in the MC switch to a wilwood style with no internal RPV.

I used to pry the rear caliper off of my go fast bike and would pick up quite a bit.  it just takes an extra pump at the end of the track....your choice.

kb426

Tony, if you put healthy springs on the piston side and put some kind of stop behind the pad so the springs could retract the pad enough to be free but not so far back as to require double pumps of the pedal, would that be an option? Such as drilling into the pad or caliper and having a threaded adjuster to control the amount of retraction?
TEAM SMART

kb426

I just strapped the go kart that was a summer project to a pallet. It's all ready to go to the new owner and hopefully make some kid real happy.  :D
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Falcon air intake through the headlite opening.  

Not pretty, but should help the engine get air in though that dang integral  log intake on the head
Tony

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"Falcon air intake through the headlite opening.  

Not pretty, but should help the engine get air in though that dang integral  log intake on the head

do the corrugations in the flex duct slow down the air by causing the outer layer to tumble??

or does it become a boundary layer allowing the inner layers of air to flow faster..

i ordered some nice smooth bore silicone molded elbows to replace some hard to find air box to throttle body flex elbows and was fairly happy with them.. not a ton of cash either..

you will probably need to stick to the bending reducers or the 45 degrees elbows to get the big size you might need at the front..

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?cPath=14&osCsid=f0fb1430c524f664d16788c65ad3becd

just an idea..

just curious.. knocked out the log end plug and ported the log section as i recall... any change that there is a freeze plug at both ends?? i don't think there was.. but i could be wrong.. how about a set of custom adaptors.. to a single butterfly for each end. to hook to a J pipe to that is also TEEed into the intake just below the carb.. so you can open them during high speed operation..   probably would throw off the resonant pulses  and screw up the air flow to the cylinders..  but again.. just an idea..