What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"That's not considered a "warrantable" situation  , is it  :?:  :roll:

The warranty only covers "forward" jumps , correct   :shock:  :lol:

Is this the strongest model of trans that can be used in this application  :?:

Bob.... :wink:

It is the big dog of powerglide transmissions. I dont make decisions on warranty stuff, I just fix them

there is a lot going on in reverse at the RPM's the guys run.  The ring gear is spinning very fast.  The direct drum spins at 1.5 times the engine RPM in reverse.

If they wing the engine to 7k RPM, the drum is at 10.5 RPM.... Special drums are used.

These guys jump stuff and if they land on the ground under power, stuff breaks.  IF you watch the smart drivers, they are ''off the throttle'' when the truck lands on it's tires.

Also , a side note:  the "Monster Jam""  monster truck series is owned by the Barnum - Bailey circus folks
On a much smaller scale we learned the same thing when playing with VW off road buggies. The diff. spider gears are fairly small & will break easily if you land from a jump under power. First rule of off roading "always keep at least 1 wheel on the ground at all times"
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

1800guy

I like that - "First rule of off roading "always keep at least 1 wheel on the ground at all times"

I was crew for a Volvo in the 2008 Carrera Panamericana.  First day of the 7 day event the car was 5 hours late for the noon checkpoint.  I'm chewing my nails, worried that it was something I was going to get blamed for.  Sure enough - when the recovery truck pulled in driver and navvy were both still shell-shocked and shaken.  The driver said the throttle stuck, the navvy said the brakes failed - both my responsibilities.  Turns out the car was well off the ground and flying when the brakes were applied.

I was forgiven after sufficient beer was applied to the crew.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThe driver said the throttle stuck, the navvy said the brakes failed - both my responsibilities.  Turns out the car was well off the ground and flying when the brakes were applied.

Had they requested "Air Brakes" before your work was completed  :roll:

See ..... Oversight on their part ..... :lol:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

OBT and I set up at the swap meet at the Nats in Louisville this morning. I think Ken sold a couple things, I sold 3 sets of tires and wheels. It'll be a much lighter load on the way home.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

wayne petty

ran across this truck the other day...

thought a few of you might enjoy it..

the rear fender wings are fiberglass..

don't know more than this about the truck.. have seen it a few times.. never seen the owner to talk too..

UGLY OLDS

Looks like heavy hubs & axles for a smaller truck  like that .....  

No door handles but it has entry "Assist" handles  :?:  :?

The wings make the truck .. Without them it's  "Another Chevy" .... :roll:

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Looks like heavy hubs & axles for a smaller truck  like that .....  
Bob ...... :wink:

A 3/4 or 1 ton
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Traveled to Prescott AZ today for the old engine fire up , car show - swap meet at Watson Lake. We have not been there for several years. There was a large crowd. We ended up north in Ash Fork to look around, then over to Flagstaff for lunch, then over thru Payson and the pine trees. 446 miles on the daily driver car today
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I painted the go kart yesterday. Today is another paint day. The Jazzmaster is getting a color change.
TEAM SMART

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"Traveled to Prescott AZ today for the old engine fire up , car show - swap meet at Watson Lake. We have not been there for several years. There was a large crowd. We ended up north in Ash Fork to look around, then over to Flagstaff for lunch, then over thru Payson and the pine trees. 446 miles on the daily driver car today
The Cushman looks a bit over-powered.  Maybe it could use some "wheely bars". GPster

WZ JUNK

I tried some Lowes "Peel and Seal",  a replacement for Dynamat in the old truck.  If it seems to work out okay I plan to use it more.

Also in the picture is the Z gate that I made for my column shifter.  I keep shifting from low to drive.  I had to idiot proof the shifter.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, did the Dynamat fail or you just comparing? Some of the users say that it smells of asphalt for awhile. It will be interesting to hear your results on down the road.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Back to working on the shop again. I replaced several ballasts in the lights, much brighter and no flickering. I am also preping the other half of the front for siding, I have three days in retrimming the overhead door to take out the sag in the center and square up the sides.

Still working on the Packard too. Most of the body sills are done, some paint work, and I can start reinstalling them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, did the Dynamat fail or you just comparing? Some of the users say that it smells of asphalt for awhile. It will be interesting to hear your results on down the road.

I have not used Dynamat in the past.  I will not be able to compare this product to it.  One of the properties that I am intrested in is if it will omit odors.  I will try to post after it is out in the sun some.  The old truck is a good test bed as it is hot and loud.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH