What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I spent the day trying to get the body sill out of this Packard. I didn't make it. 4 more screws to get out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

I started changing out the engine of the COE to a TPI setup. New long block and Painless wiring kit. Lots of wire. :shock:  I have had to change the upper and lower radiator connections and add a tee in the lower line for the heater hose. I had a set of full length Hooker headers on this. I am tossing them in favor of stock manifolds. The heat under the engine cover was way to much. Hope to have it completed this weekend. :D I will post pictures when it is done. Not too pretty now.
Don Colliau

Boyd Who

I got a HUGE bonus from a job I did a few weeks ago. Most of the money will go towards a trip with my wife this fall, but I took some of it and bought the tires for the Essex and ordered up some custom sized steelies.

papastoyss

Quote from: "348tripower"I started changing out the engine of the COE to a TPI setup. New long block and Painless wiring kit. Lots of wire. :shock:  I have had to change the upper and lower radiator connections and add a tee in the lower line for the heater hose. I had a set of full length Hooker headers on this. I am tossing them in favor of stock manifolds. The heat under the engine cover was way to much. Hope to have it completed this weekend. :D I will post pictures when it is done. Not too pretty now.
Gonna make it to the Street Rod Nats in Louisville this year?He He, long range forecast is 80 degrees , partly cloudy, 10 mph breeze (I wish)
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Charlie Chops 1940

Replacing the work shop A/C wall unit today. Had an old-old-old Whirlpool that I bought used 15-20 years ago. Went to switch it off Monday evening and the selector switch broke off flush with the switch. Managed to turn it off but it was toast. P/N is NLA. Called around a few old appliance service parts places...no luck.

I had to go fill up with cheap gas at Sam's Club this morning ($3.34/9) while everyone else was going up to $3.59/9, so I strolled in Sam's knowing there wouldn't be a machine in the place. There sat the last unit on a cart so it went out with me.

Wiggled the old one into the room from outside, gave the the one last shove and it had a very satisfying crash as it hit the floor upside down. Drug that dead rascal of the way and wheeled the new one in to working distance and found the case is 1" shorter and 3/4" too wide. Making hole wider after lunch. The works slides out of the case so it will be easy to install the case first then slide the works into place.

I know...I'm spoiled.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I  went to the Crosly national meet with my son David, brother love here on the board, and my grand daughter Quinn. No parts in the swap meet I couldn.t live without. Some nice Crosleys, there will be more tomorrow, but I can't go. :cry:

The water pump on my house has not been working right, I diagnosed it as a bad diaphram in the tank. Josh came over to help me, took us about an hour to change it, now it works fine.

Then I went out to the shop and worked on the Packard. He wants an electronic conversion, and the original distributor has two sets of points, each one fires 4 cylinders. No one makes a conversion for it, so I remachined a Buick window cap body to fit the Packard. After I got that done I welded in a body structure patch, and fitted a second one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

So for weeks I have taken items to the powder coater and dropped them off during lunch.....killing two birds, i would pick up a load and bring them home.  Most pieces are too lite to put in the bed because they would blow out.

fast forward to last monday and the powder coater called and it seems there is a problem, they found that color requires a clear coat or it will turn black and spotty.  So, i wrapped it all back up and loaded it in my trailer for delivery tomorrow morning.   Luckily the only part on the car is the core support, i will have to do it when the car is apart for color.

This is only a small sample of parts

I did pick up a safety blanket for the intercooler just in case of an explosion thru the intake.

Crosley.In.AZ

We have a new blasting cabinet at work.  this uses sodium bicarbonate as blast media.

We developed some problems with transmission shifting and bushing in pumps were scraped up. We traced the problem to glass beading cases and not getting ALL the media out of them.  Many of the trans cores we buy look like they were in a river for years, the blasting is required

The soda blast media washes off - out easier.  60 grit soda blast media is used. It's expensive at 90 dollars a bag. Once it hits the case once the media is done.  Machine cost around 10k

We have a new international account in Australia : Rocket Industies . We needed to make sure problems are minimum with the long distance shipping
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

tony.. at one  engine rebuilder we had that kind of trouble once in a while... turned out.. several things..  the water blast cabinets (there were 4) had reduced flow from clogged and improperly angled nozzles.. there were large areas that did not get water washing.

one had reduced pressure because the pump impeller was worn. just did not have the pressure to wash the parts clean..

we would check nozzle spray and alignment by starting the machine with the door open..
i personally would think that creating a properly machined pump opening cover with ring bolts to attach it..  that sealed across the opening with some neoprene rubber sheet... so the opening of the pump cavity would not get sand blasted into it..    

another  is just a neoprene section that matches the pan gasket and a scrap pan with handles welded on is bolted on.. sealing the bottom of the case..  

another to seal the tail housing opening..  and something for the dip stick tube openings.. the manual lever opening.

this would allow you to use cheep sand on the outside of the main case to get it really clean ..     a lot of work creating them... cost savings overall.. i would think HUGE..

i actually put a tee behind the hose bib.. a globe valve.. a quick connect to match the air hoses around the shop..  this was to give the wash guy a water hand spray hose at the cabinets.. used one of the 24" air nozzles.  with the end bent slightly more to redirect some of the kick back from bolt holes..

you probably already have this..

WZ JUNK

I got to help my friend Kerry run his nostalgia hemi dragster.  We used my old truck for the return vehicle.  It was the 50th anniversay of MOKAN Dragway.  It was a blast.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"tony..

(snip)

i personally would think that creating a properly machined pump opening cover with ring bolts to attach it..  that sealed across the opening with some neoprene rubber sheet... so the opening of the pump cavity would not get sand blasted into it..    

another  is just a neoprene section that matches the pan gasket and a scrap pan with handles welded on is bolted on.. sealing the bottom of the case..  

Wayne, many of these trans cases are corroded inside.

Case in point,  C4 Ford trans were a real problem.  We were really cleaning the case good after blasting. Problem was the interior sprag race in the back of the case , it bolts in.

Abrasive was behind the race.  Too much labor to remove each race.  We tested on some cases with soda blasting.  Works great.  Torque flight transmittins have a rear sprag race int he case.  Even more work to remove and sometimes the case will crack with the race removal

We had to dismantle of trans dyno.  Each hose end was removed, hoses ( 8 )  was flushed with solvent pumped thru.  We removed one inline oil filter ( there were 2) , then added 2 new filters inline. One filter is a 100 micron, then a 10 micron filter.

We have on order a special oil cartidge filter. it is serviceable with O-rings and replaceable filter cartridge and contains magnets for the ferrous material
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

WZ junk ,I can't think of a better way to spend a day than working on an FED . Except strapping in and going for a rip.

kb426

In 1976, one of my friends bought a real old fed that was flathead and 2 speed equipped. The previous owners couldn't get it to run. It had a real early Hilborn injection on it. Turned out the ground wire from the mag was grounded where it passed through the firewall.  :lol: The 2 speed was one of the IHC torque amplifiers that later took Garlits foot off. None of us back then wanted anything to do with a flattie. He put a pretty good 283 in it and went bracket racing. I think this thing was around 110" wheelbase. Rev it up, drop the clutch. Front end comes up and away we go. It wasn't real fast but it was alot of fun. I've spent the day messing with brake and throttle cables on the go kart. I'm about to take the guitar apart again and change the wiring as per the pickup manuf. instructions. I might be lucky and have the hum disappear. It's windy here and not that pleasant.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I wanted a keyless chuck on my drill press. That should be simple. Just spend money. Wasn't quite like that. The drill press has JT2.5. If you look around you'll find that cheap drill presses are one of the few things that use that obscure JT. I bought a JT33 chuck because I had a 5/8's to J33 adapter. I thought I could counter bore the spindle and press the adapter in. The spindle was to small to do that. These pics are of using the JT33 adapter in a 4 jaw chuck and the dial indicator to sent the angle on the compound rest. The unmachined spindle, the machined spindle, and the finished product. I spent so much time doing this, I'm embarrassed. It's been years since I had to use my 4 jaw chuck.
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

Finally got the shop cleaned up enough that I could actually work in it again. While waiting for my new wheels to arrive I thought I'd mock things up again. I hope to roll the beast outside shortly so I can check the proportions on the box.