What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

hey all,it was 41degrees F here today! My only worry is that sometime this winter mother nature is going to even the score.

tom36

Fit hood to Model A today.  Now I need to come up with some way of fastening it down.  Something other than "old school, back in the day" sheet metal screws thru the side :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Tom...

Mikej

You could paint the c-clamps  :lol:

tom36

Quote from: "Mikej"You could paint the c-clamps  :lol:

Of course!  What was I thinking??? :wink:

Boyd Who

Christmas came early!  :D

The headers I bought online arrived today and I wasted no time bolting them up to see how they'd fit. The passenger side drops at a slightly steeper angle than the drivers side and will hit the splash apron so I'll need to tweak it a bit, but otherwise I think they'll work just fine.
You can also see the transmission crossmember I'm building in these pics.

enjenjo

Quote from: "tom36"
Quote from: "Mikej"You could paint the c-clamps  :lol:

Of course!  What was I thinking??? :wink:

I'm thinking chrome. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

I thought 'old skool' was Dzus Fasteners?

chimp koose

GPster

Magnets? The ones inside refrigerator door gaskeys. It may be unsightly but I made hose clamps work on a hood for hold downs one time. I took each clamp (four, one for each corner) and cut them in half. I took the half with the male end (lack of description) and fastened it with pop rivets to the firewall and radiator shell in such a way that when the female end of the clamp (with the screw!) which was fastened to the hood could mate with the compatible male end and a few turns of the screw would secure the hose clamp halves together and the edge of the hood they were fastened to. I have no idea what this description will look like after River gets a hold of it. GPster

tom36

Quote from: "chimp koose"leather straps?

That's a thought but it seems to be the "in thing" to do at the moment so I would like to come up with something else.  Right now the hood halves are sitting on the car and I keep looking and thinking while doing other stuff.  Waiting for the light bulb to turn on. :idea:  :idea:  :idea:   Tom...

Boyd Who

enjenjo

4 aluminum blocks, one at each corner. In two of them a fixed 1/4" stainless pin, tapered on the end, sticking out about 1/2". On the other end install spring loaded pins with a handle to release them. You can then install a bracket in the firewall and the grille shell for the pins to go in.

To install the hood, insert the fixed pins into the bracket on that end, retract the pin on the other end, and let it snap into the bracket on that end. You can hide the block under the lower edge of the hood, and bolt it into place on the bottom flange.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Side panel attachment suggestion.

Hooley, showed me these the other day and I thought they were really nice.  http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ouik-Latch-Products-Mini-Quick-Latch,51942.html   You could make an internal hook at the top or bottom and use these at the other side of the panel.  That way two to a panel should do it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Side panel attachment suggestion.

Hooley, showed me these the other day and I thought they were really nice.  http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ouik-Latch-Products-Mini-Quick-Latch,51942.html   You could make an internal hook at the top or bottom and use these at the other side of the panel.  That way two to a panel should do it.

John

Those look real clean. Would I assume that you press down on the panel to release them?.The description doesn't really say.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

As I remember ( that is a disclaimer ) :) , you push the center button and it releases.  I thought about using one for a glove box catch.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH