What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Getting ready to head to the Good-Guys in Spokane tomorrow.  I haven't been really anywhere this summer. The last month has been spent enjoying my new grandaughter, and the cars have kind of gone by the wayside.  However, the sanding on the Olds has continued.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Went to a cruise night at Wauseon Oh. They had about 500 cars show up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Went to a cruise night at Wauseon Oh. They had about 500 cars show up.
Did you take Shelby's Prom Limo? GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Went to a cruise night at Wauseon Oh. They had about 500 cars show up.
Did you take Shelby's Prom Limo? GPster

Yes I did.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Straightened the lower control arm on the DD Contour.  #1 son slid it into a curb the last slick day of the Winter.  I got it straightened some at the time but not enough to quite get it back in line and these cars aren't adjustable through eccentrics or shims.  Eventually it chewed up the tires, which were about due anyway.  With brand new tires on it today it was time to come home and get serious about the situation.

A new lower control arm would have fixed it for sure but I decided to see if another approach would save me the time and trouble.  On the plus side it's a very shallow stamping in heavy material, and the bottom edge is supposed to be perfectly straight.  The arm wasn't kinked, but had a gradual bend in it beyond a certain point.

No surprise that the BFH didn't faze it--it took throwing the whole car against a solid object to bend it, after all.  Same for trying to jack under the bent part.  No luck trying to get a pipe wrench on it to bend it locally and finesse it back into shape.

That leaves the blue wrench.  A jack stand under the center of the bend, careful application of heat along the top of the hat section at the edge, and it fell right in line.  My steel rule tells me it's as close to perfectly straight as I have any right to expect and the length measures exactly the same as the opposite side.

Now the wheel sits dead level, the car tracks straight down the road at any speed, on or off the brakes.  Maybe it's partly the new tires, but I'm almost afraid to take it in for an alignment for fear that'll mess something up.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kiwipaul

Quote from: "enjenjo"I am cleaning the shop, I rebuilt the rear suspension on a 1970 AMX this week, springs, shocks, and torque links. It did not want to come apart after 40 years in Ohio. :shock:

Went and tryed to fix the  brake lights on the New Yorker turning segnal and stop light use the same glob so pulled the streering wheel of and might have found the problem one wire not fitting . Will take a solding iron up on the week end. Boy it has been cold here is Vic or it might be I am just getting old.
A Ford man that like all cars

348tripower

Got the COE back from upholstery today. Of to Woodward tomorrow for the day. Pictures to follow.  Been busy with a lot of work in thew shop.
Don Colliau

kb426

I just got home from the Scott City rod run. 119 cars and only 1 32 Ford and no 55 chevys! I ran into EMSJUNKIE. He said to tell everyone Hi. He's not doing any projects now but still checks in some. Good day, nice weather, pleasant people.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

After 20+ years... I ground off some weld snot - beads - test spots a fellow put on my engine hoist.

I used a common China process when I built this knock - down engine hoist in the early 1980's ....  I copied a rental knock-down engine lift. LOL

I loaned the hoist to a fellow ( I forget whom) and he used it to set an engine into a car and build mounts. He used my hoist as a spot to warm up the weld rod I guess.

I guess it took a couple of decades to get a "round 2 it" to perform that task.

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Yesterday, 2 of my brothers and I went to the HAMB Drags.  My youngest brother (53) had never been down a drag strip.  I put him in the truck and he made 3 passes.  One of the best days ever.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, glad you had a great day. I changed oil in the wife's car and the 32. I'm finishing some small things on the bike project and then I'll start on some mundane tasks that I've postponed for awhile.
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

I saw some pics of your truck in one of the HAMB drags threads, John. Looked like fun!
That event is on my bucket list...hopefully done right after another trip to Bonneville.  :D

Crosley.In.AZ

added a few tubes to the car's roll cage on sunday.  There are no TIG welds in the vehicle , only MIG is used
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I picked up a rotisserie from a friend at work, who is the welder there, plus has his own shop.  He had built it for doing his Duster, and is now done with it.  So, now it's mine.  It'll still be a while before I get it on the '41.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

sirstude

Got back from Spokane, and it was a great time as usual.  Anyway, I popped the hood yesterday evening, and checked the oil.  I had used quite a bit more than usual.  Plugged the dipstick in and then happened to look at the core support, and there was my oil cap from when I added a quart.  Today, i am going to wash off all the oil on the other side of the car from the dipstick.  Sometimes getting old gets in the way of my mind.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us