Corvette question

Started by phat46, April 13, 2010, 07:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I have a friend that really wants to buy a mid 70's Corvette, I don't know why, i'm just trying to make sure he doesn't get a really bad one.  We have looked at several, that had obvious flaws i could point out to him as deal breakers. Now he has found one that "just needs interior work". He can do that but he has concerns about the frame. I have been telling him that the frames rusting out in this area is a common thing with a 35 year old car.  We might be able to get this one up on a hoist, it's at a muffler shop. Besides obvious things like the frame rusted in half what should I be looking for under this thing? Are there hidden places to check? or certain attachment points that go bad? I'm not a "vette guy at all, never looked at the bottom of one so I'll take all advice.

GPster

I'm not a Corvette person but information that I've gathered over the years leads me to expect problems with the rear brake calipers. I would expect in today's economy you could be looking at $1,000.00 real easy on that repair. I had a Corvette buddy that was going to build a SCCA Vette and he bought a "totaled" '74 that only showed 4,500 miles on it and he sold me the engine out of it for me to put in my '69 Nova that had worn out the 307. The engine was a garden variety 350 nothing special and it was the motor that came in the car. He said that after '71 if you wanted a decent motor in a Vette it was something that had to be special ordered. GPster

phat rat

As I recall the place the frames usually rust out in is the area just ahead of the rear wheels at the kick-up. If he's able to do his own repair he'll save a lot. Muskegon Brake here in Muskegon is one place to get the S.S sleeved calipers
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

The '68-'82 chassis are essentially the same for all years. The front suspension ditto. The rear had some changes in the later years. As Jack mentioned the biggest rust area is in the frame in front of the rear tires. This area also holds the trailing arms and can get really rotten in midwest cars that were used year round. They have the old style ram power steering which is well supported in the aftermarket. SS sleeved calipers are inexpensive as long as you have cores.

The mid-70's cars really porked up though and had some serious horsepower deficiencies. They weigh in the 3500 pound area and the f-41 suspension cars ride like rocks.

It's amazing how complicated the cars became in this series...but that's what ruined a lot of Detroit iron.

Just my two cents worth.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

junkyardjeff

I think they have some metal in the floor pans plus they dont run very good,my 53 olds with a stock 59 371 would walk away from them too.

reborn55

Check for rust in the windshield pillar post area and front lower radiator support.(This from looking at a few for my brother.)

tomslik

fwiw, i've got a friend (yeah, really) that has a 96 (i think) that he wants to sell.
low milage, bright * red and they're a whole lot more fun to drive than the 70's vettes....
fly in, drive home...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

chopped

Had a 76, it was a serious dog! Rear suspension was expensive to repair.

phat46

Quote from: "tomslik"fwiw, i've got a friend (yeah, really) that has a 96 (i think) that he wants to sell.
low milage, bright * red and they're a whole lot more fun to drive than the 70's vettes....
fly in, drive home...

Will he sell it for about $4,000...that's what he's looking to spend.... :D

phat46

Quote from: "reborn55"Check for rust in the windshield pillar post area and front lower radiator support.(This from looking at a few for my brother.)

We saw one, a '77 that had that problem, along with a rusted out door that was about 2" away from the body at the bottom, I would have hated to see the frame on that one!

phat46

Thanks for all the tips, I am really trying to steer him away from a 'Vette of this era, I know they were really pigs, but he's not looking to race anyone. He's not really a car guy but he can do nice upholstry work. Hopefully I can steer him away from this one also...he said it looked like they had the T tops taped shut at some point.... :shock:
Wayne, there was several good sites that you sent, thanks!

tomslik

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "tomslik"fwiw, i've got a friend (yeah, really) that has a 96 (i think) that he wants to sell.
fly in, drive home...

Will he sell it for about $4,000...that's what he's looking to spend.... :D

i think a "1" in front of that 4000 might be close...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat rat

I wouldn't expect much for $4,000 or less
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Quote from: "phat rat"I wouldn't expect much for $4,000 or less

There's a lot out there in that price range, check Craigslist, I was quite surprised when we started looking. We found one with a nice engine in it, rebuilt and built up nicely. that car needed paint and some fiberglass work, but was worth the money. My friend was put off by the 'glass work, but the car had rebuilt brakes and suspension and they were only asking $3,500.  That era 'Vette doesn't seem to have much value right now.