2001 5.7 eating oil

Started by 348tripower, March 23, 2010, 09:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I just received a van. The guy says it isn't leaking oil but it is using a bunch. I know these have intake gasket problems but is there anything else to look for. And could the intake gaskets be related to oil usage? 124000 miles for those that would ask. It seems to run very well. I do have a catalyst system efficiency below threshold on bank 1 code and a 5 volt reference 2 circuit . Also the oil pressure gauge fluctuates a lot after this is warmed up.
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

wayne petty

if you got a P0420...

it could the leaking intake manifold gaskets... and leaking plenum gaskets... leaking throttle body mounting gaskets...

vacuum hoses off...  

if you plan on doing the intake.... order the complete set that also includes a new set of valve cover gaskets... and an egr mounting gasket.. for some reason they don't come in an intake set...

the p0420 can set do to the vacuum leaks around one cylinder... or in one part of the plenum as that cylinder would get more air than the other.. maybe not enough to make it misfire to set a PO300  OR p0301- p0308  but enough to throw off the fuel mixture enough for the secondary monitors to catch it..

ultra grey silicone... is what to buy to seal it tight..  brake cleaner.. cheep stuff to clean the surfaces...   big clean towels stuffed into the lifter valley while scraping the residual gaskets off .. with paper towels stuffed in the intake ports..   i also wash parts.. in cleaner degreaser from the cash and carry stores.. i put them back together totally clean.. hyde 10 way painters tools sharpened with a diamond file to scrape surfaces without digging into the surface..   just a few tips... but everybody knew this already..

348tripower

Wayne,
This thing used 2 quarts of oil in a 100 mile round trip. Could it be sucking it out of the valley and into a cylinder?
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

Crosley.In.AZ

the old design 350 motor could easily pull oil into the intake runners from a bad gasket.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"the old design 350 motor could easily pull oil into the intake runners from a bad gasket.

8)

what would be the new design?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

wayne petty

oh.. one thing... my parts stores always send me the valve cover gaskets in their own package...

i just noticed that felpro only sticks one in the kit with the valve cover gasket included..

just thought i would mention that..

as for the oil loss... the only and best way is to replace the intake gaskets...   put it all back together.. try it...  unless you just want to tear it all down.. and start replacing parts that may or may not be bad...   if you are really worried...  do a compression test first.. but thats hard to do on any vans...  there is limited room...

one more thing...    be sure to spend the few extra minutes and set the crank to TDC on the compression stroke...   pull the distributer cap to figure it out and set the balancer to 0...

then scribe a line  on the top of the distributer shaft after you take the rotor off and a matching mark on the housing..   so you can align it perfectly when dropping it back in..  this does not effect ignition timing.. only the cam sensor is in the cap.. but it sure runs really bad if it is more than a degree or two off...   it really takes a scan tool to set it properly by looking at the cam , crank sensor offset...   there are NO instructions on which way to put it in.. at least in the limited stuff i looked at..  so a few minutes before you loosen the distributer bolt.. may save you HOURS later..     the distributer cap screws are not retained... they are also self tapping.. but into the plastic body of the distributer..  so when reinstalling them .. turn them slightly backwards till you feel them drop slightly.. this puts the threads back into the previous threads.. so you don't make new ones.  you don't want to make new ones..  there is not much meat there

also... while you have it off... examine the coil for high voltage leaks... replace it if any are spotted...   look for dust circles with a spot at the middle..   many many misfires have been solved by a coil replacement ..

and put new transistor thermal  grease or dielectric tune up grease under the module...  the dielectric tune up grease has dissolved solids in it.. so DON'T get creative with it.. like using it for bolts.. or caliper slides.. it will stick the bolts so tight they will break off.. and caliper slides will stick so tight .. a 30 ton press won't budge them...

348tripower

Wayne,
Thank you so much for all the valuable info.  I will have to wait a bit to get started on this. Probably next week. My 14 year old grandson passed away in his sleep Monday evening.  We are a bit tied up here now. But, I  will print all of this out and read it again so I don't miss anything.
Don
Don Colliau

phat rat

Don, so sorry for your loss. Prayers and sympathy for all the family
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Sorry to hear about your grandson Don. I would have trouble handling it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"Sorry to hear about your grandson Don. I would have trouble handling it.

Thanks gang. I have been having a bit of trouble but I think I have control now. Tomorrow is the viewing and Saturday the service. I will be strong. Jack, I am planing the trip to pick up the engine on Sunday. Should be your way about noon. I need to get 50 bucks to Charlie or if he is not back maybe to you to pass along.
Don Colliau

GPster

Quote from: "348tripower"Wayne My 14 year old grandson passed away in his sleep Monday evening.  We are a bit tied up here now. Don
The loss of any of my grand kids would level me but the thought of loosing my grandson, particularly when he would be so close to driving age.  My prayers are with you. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Crosley"the old design 350 motor could easily pull oil into the intake runners from a bad gasket.

8)

what would be the new design?

i guess bettter said / posted would be the old design  small  block chev.

Sorry to read about your grandson Don.  Best to the family during this time.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mikej

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Sorry to hear about your grandson Don. I would have trouble handling it.

Thanks gang. I have been having a bit of trouble but I think I have control now. Tomorrow is the viewing and Saturday the service. I will be strong. Jack, I am planing the trip to pick up the engine on Sunday. Should be your way about noon. I need to get 50 bucks to Charlie or if he is not back maybe to you to pass along.

Don, I understand the loss of a granchild. My heart goes out to you. Mike

papastoyss

Quote from: "348tripower"Wayne,
Thank you so much for all the valuable info.  I will have to wait a bit to get started on this. Probably next week. My 14 year old grandson passed away in his sleep Monday evening.  We are a bit tied up here now. But, I  will print all of this out and read it again so I don't miss anything.
Don
Don, I can't even imagine having to go thru this,we'll be thinhing about your family's loss. David Midgett
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

jaybee

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandson.  Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)