Have you ever used toggle switches instead of pw switches???

Started by SKR8PN, July 14, 2004, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Peter,
If you can scan it as a jpeg you should be able to post it. Max size I think is 300x300. If it's larger that resize it and them you could post it. Or if that's not possible you could send it to me and I can fix it up and post it for you. Let me know and I will pm you with an e-mail address.

bob

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Rob"
Quote from: "PeterR"Only one thing to add.

If so you can use a single-pole miniature switch with two relays.   The wiring is not complicated, you still only require two wires to the door, and the wiring to the switches can be very light gauge.

Is there someplace I can find a schematic for the wiring that your talking about.  I'd like to use the DPDT switches, but if I can't, the relays sound like a good idea!

Thanks!

Here is a site that has a ton of that stuff........ check it out  :wink:
http://www.the12volt.com/

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Jokester

Thanks for the link MRMOPAR.  I've been looking for a site with some of the other info listed there.

.bjb :D
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Rob

[

Here is a site that has a ton of that stuff........ check it out  :wink:
http://www.the12volt.com/

Thanks, what a great site!

Rob

MrMopar64

Quote from: "PeterR"Only one thing to add.

If so you can use a single-pole miniature switch with two relays.   The wiring is not complicated, you still only require two wires to the door, and the wiring to the switches can be very light gauge.

Is there someplace I can find a schematic for the wiring that your talking about.  I'd like to use the DPDT switches, but if I can't, the relays sound like a good idea!

Thanks!

Here is a drawing of how you would hook the switch up.......
Remember I'm no artist  :oops:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

SKR8PN

THanks for the wiring drawing. That went into my file for future reference....In the mean time,what I decided to do,was build a small console to go around the shifter and shifter boot. That gave me enough room to mount the regular power window switches that I had already wired up,just to make the window function for testing..
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

PeterR

Thanks!

Although this thread had well and truly come to an end I am only just set up to post pics and thought this could be a test for me and the following images may be of interest to others.   The first is the schematic and the second the wiring diagram.

Of course there is my obligatory long-winded preamble.

This is a circuit allowing a single pole switch to reverse a permanent magnet DC motor.  The switch is only required to carry sufficient current to pull in the relay, so can be quite small, miniature toggle switches about 1/2" across the body are fine.

The feed to the toggle switch is from the ignition and the feed to the relays directly from the fuse panel to avoid loading up the ignition switch unnecessarily.

An alternative to the centre-off switch is two press-on switches one for UP and the other for DOWN.     No damage is done if both switches are pressed at the same time, the motor will just come to a halt; so there is no need for a mechanical interlock between them.

I originally deployed this circuit ten years ago for a servo motor drive where it performed well because there is a feature not immediately obvious but very desirable in that application.   Normally when power is cut off from a motor it continues to coast until friction brings it to a stop, and in a servo application this can result in overrun.  

While coasting, the motor acts as a generator producing a voltage across the terminals.  In this circuit, after the switch is released both relays drop out and place a short across the motor leads.   This applies a large electrical load to the "generator" and it comes to a halt within a revolution or two.   Shorting out a motor like this is not new, "plugging" a motor to a quick stop has been commonplace for years and I have to confess when I first drew up this circuit the shorting of the motor was by coincidence not cleverness.

This leads to a general warning regarding electric motors.  Many of you will have read if a radiator fan motor is wired directly to the ignition switch, then after the ignition is switched off, the coasting fan motor will produce enough power to feed the ignition coil and the engine continues to run.

It is not widely appreciated however that a coasting AC motor can act as a generator. Whilst people take great care to avoid injury from clothing becoming entangled around the shaft of a coasting motor, they are oblivious if the terminals of a 110v or 240v are touched the shock can be just as lethal as a full hit from the mains.

Bruce Dorsi

Thanks, Peter!  .....I always learn something new from your posts.

I didn't know about the benefit of shorting the motor to stop coasting.

Now, can you (or someone else) explain how the "one-touch" or "automatic" switch works to operate a power motor window motor?
.....I assume the switch is causing contacts to latch, allowing the motor to drive the window all the way down.  ....What I am trying to learn is, "What causes the contacts to un-latch once the window is all the way down?"

Do these systems use a limit switch, or does the increased current to the stalled motor cause the un-latching (similar to a circuit breaker), or is there some other method at work?  ....Is the latching done in the switch, or is the switch used to latch a relay?

Thanks to all who help me learn!!  :b-d:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Rob

Thanks for the great diagrams!  Actually, I tried the DPDT switches with the cross-over grounding and they work fine.  I think next time though I'll go the relay route, those switches aren't cheap!

Rob