Have you ever used toggle switches instead of pw switches???

Started by SKR8PN, July 14, 2004, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

Just curious if you have or not. I have absolutley NO room in my truck for the power window switches. Mounting them in the doors is not an option. A couple of ON-OFF-ON Toggles,well hidden,would sure make it easier......
What say the brain trust???
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Just curious if you have or not. I have absolutley NO room in my truck for the power window switches. Mounting them in the doors is not an option. A couple of ON-OFF-ON Toggles,well hidden,would sure make it easier......
What say the brain trust???

In my Jimmy I mounted them in the dash. With that setup all you have to run for wires into the doors is the 2 wires to the motors. Did a 47 GMC the same way about a year ago but he is putting the switches in the center console. He got that idea from enjenjo's Marlin.

Jokester

Power window switches typically are 6 terminals or more and the schematic gets kinda confusing.  In the Napa and Borg Warner buyer's guides there are some rocker or toggles called reversing switches.  They reverse the power and ground sides of the switch depending on which way you throw the switch.  Should be adaptable to your application.

My two cents; good luck. :)

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

SKR8PN

Thats why I don't want to mount the switches in the doors. To many wires ,and I only have those contact "buttons" in the jambs. I only have ROOM for the two wires........
Was working on my console this evening and realized I had NO room for the switches. Only place I have,is on the bottom lip of the dash,and there isn't enough space for conventional PW switches.
So your telling me,the toggles work Okey-Dokey????????????

Fat Cat

Quote from: "SKR8PN"So your telling me,the toggles work Okey-Dokey????????????

Not usually because the power and ground wires are reversed on the motor when you go from up to down. So you would have to use the switches and relays to reverse the power circuit.

Roadstar

I have power windows in the 40 and only have two wires going into the door. The power and a ground.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "SKR8PN"So your telling me,the toggles work Okey-Dokey????????????

Not usually because the power and ground wires are reversed on the motor when you go from up to down. So you would have to use the switches and relays to reverse the power circuit.

Well,that is going to get kinda "messy" also.......It is going to require 2 relays per window motor to get them to work,correct????
Shoot,that requires even MORE room..........

34ford

I mounted my relays in the trunk area behind the door and am putting the switches in the headliner over the windshield. It only takes 2 wires to go to the motor in the door.

enjenjo

You can do it with DPDT toggle switches.  You run the power to one side of the switch, and the ground to the other side. Then the wires to the motor  hook to one end of the switch, and cross over to the other end. Ask me saturday, and I'll draw you a diagram. It's a doh! when you see it, actually pretty simple. Make sure you have switches rated for at least 20 amps.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pep

The way I see this is the 2 wire to the motors would come off the centre 2 poles.  The switch would be a non locking unit where it would normally be at rest in the centre position. You would then have both bat and grnd on the top terminals and bat and grnd on the bottom terminals, but the opposite way around. This in affect would reverse the polarity when its either up or down.
See Ya
Pep

chopped

[I'm doing P.W. in the car now. My switches  take up the same space as toggles would, about 2X2 are yours extra large? I'm only mounting the double, where it can be hit from both seats. :?

Jimmy Jay

Nothing more to add to confirm what enjenjo and pep have told you.  Just use insulated wire to cross over the switch, or get real creative and route around the body of the switch.

Jay
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.  :wink:

PeterR

Only one thing to add.

The two-pole spring-loaded center-off toggle-switch is the simplest solution, but do not be tempted to use the very small switches that are about 1/2 inch across the body, they will not stand up to the current.

You might find that switches of adequate capacity will not fit in the available space.   If so you can use a single-pole miniature switch with two relays.   The wiring is not complicated, you still only require two wires to the door, and the wiring to the switches can be very light gauge.

Rob

Quote from: "PeterR"Only one thing to add.

If so you can use a single-pole miniature switch with two relays.   The wiring is not complicated, you still only require two wires to the door, and the wiring to the switches can be very light gauge.

Is there someplace I can find a schematic for the wiring that your talking about.  I'd like to use the DPDT switches, but if I can't, the relays sound like a good idea!

Thanks!

PeterR

I have drawn up a schematic, but now find that it can not be posted direct to the board.   I do not have access hold files on a public site, so sorry no pics unless some one here has an alternate method of posting.