Out of round piston??

Started by butch27, March 16, 2010, 09:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

On my '78 Ford 302" in my "T" I  had NO compression on #1 cylinder.It ran o.k. sounded like a big cam in it.LOL I pulled the head and put a feeler gauge between the piston and wall. Had about .005 on one side until it hit he rings and on the OTHER side (180 degrees across) I couldn't get he gauge in at all.  The engine is a fresh rebuild bored 30 over. Any ideas?  Strange to me.

Fat Cat

Are you sure the bore is round?

butch27

Man I sure hope so. I'll have to check every thing. Still should have had SOME compression ??

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

butch27

Taking it (the piston) Thursday.

brucer

Quote from: "butch27"On my '78 Ford 302" in my "T" I  had NO compression on #1 cylinder.It ran o.k. sounded like a big cam in it.LOL I pulled the head and put a feeler gauge between the piston and wall. Had about .005 on one side until it hit he rings and on the OTHER side (180 degrees across) I couldn't get he gauge in at all.  The engine is a fresh rebuild bored 30 over. Any ideas?  Strange to me.

you'll have clearance at the top of the piston, the skirt has the closer tolerance. check bore for roundness and size.
what the valve springs look like? sounds like you didnt have a valve closing.

chimp koose

There should be a lot (.040) clearance in the ring land area. Are you sure there isnt a bent or stuck valve?

Jokester

If I remember correctly from tech school (40 years ago), pistons are not round.  They are slightly oval so that when they heat up they become round.  Anyone else confirm this?

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

chimp koose

Pistons are generally narrower across the pin as there is more metal to expand in that direction when at operating temp(on a full skirt piston).Likewise the piston is much smaller in the top as the piston is solid and will expand much more than at the skirt.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Jokester"If I remember correctly from tech school (40 years ago), pistons are not round.  They are slightly oval so that when they heat up they become round.  Anyone else confirm this?

.bjb

Kinda. At the top the piston is generally round, but the skirt is not. It's wider at 90 degrees to the pin, that it is measured at the pin, as the pin area of the piston retains more heat, and expands more. So ideally, at operating temp, it will be round.

butch27

About that bent or stuck valve-I did have valve problems and have got new heads. Would this have HURT the piston or the bore that much , or can I just put the heads on and run it?

enjenjo

I would pull that piston and rod, to do further inspecting. As I said, I suspect you have a bent rod, which can be caused by a stuck valve. Another possibility is a collasped skirt, which can also come from a stuck valve.

butch27

Pulled it! The 2 compression rings  were aligned TOGETHER I turned the so many degrees apart, I think the reason I had NO clearance on one side is because of this. ?? The rods are new . How do I check for bent?

brucer

Quote from: "butch27"Pulled it! The 2 compression rings  were aligned TOGETHER I turned the so many degrees apart, I think the reason I had NO clearance on one side is because of this. ?? The rods are new . How do I check for bent?

you could take a straight edge if you can fit it between the piston and the small end, and run it from the big end of the rod to the small end and see if the rods flat on the ground surfaces.. then i guess just eyeball it..

the ring end gaps should be misaligned and not in-line with each other....

i think you need to look at your valves, springs,lifters and pushrods on that cylinder... and look at the lobes on your cam, you mighta wiped them on that cylinder when you did the break-in..cam and lifters have been a common problem since they took the zinc out of the engine oil.

enjenjo

Quote from: "butch27"Pulled it! The 2 compression rings  were aligned TOGETHER I turned the so many degrees apart, I think the reason I had NO clearance on one side is because of this. ?? The rods are new . How do I check for bent?

Best way, is to remove the piston, and check it in a rod fixture. It would not be the first time I have found a new rod that was damaged. Any automotive  machine shop can do it.

If the rod is bent, that can cause the rings to rotate like yours have.