Suggestions for a centered Diff for a T bucket

Started by taxpyer, March 04, 2010, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

When you center the housing how bad is the driveshaft thrown off? I don't have much room in a "T".

enjenjo

Quote from: "butch27"When you center the housing how bad is the driveshaft thrown off? I don't have much room in a "T".

Anywhere from one to two inches. A couple exceptions. A Ford 8.8 has a centered housing with a centered pinion. but they are a bit ugly. Same with a S10 7.5 rear.

I would stick with the 8", there will be parts around for it for many years.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

brucer

just asking,

are you building a show T or a show/driver?  if i had alot of money i would go with a winters or halibrand theyre big dollars though..  other than those two i would do a smooth housing 9inch reareand. the 8inch will work fine also.

my rearend measures 62inches axle flange to flange, i never measure backing plate to backing plate, that can get you in trouble..

butch27

My old banjo is 53" flange to flange ( where he backing plates bolt on).

taxpyer

Thanks for the comments and advice. :wink:  I'm building a reliable driver. Nothing fancy just something you can climb in and turn the key and go. 8)  Even got room for the dog.  :roll:  I'll post some pics when I've got something to show. I plan on keeping this car till I can't drive anymore, then my daughter gets it. Thats why I'm just looking out for something better.  
Thanks again guys.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

GPster

This may be entirely wrong but one site that I was reading a while ago said the new Mustangs with the 8.8 differential only had four bolt wheels. The guys that wanted to convert to five bolt wheels were going to the junkyards and taking pieces out of the 8.8 rear ends in Ford Rangers. They were taking the drums and brakes but unfortunately only one of the Ranger's axels was the same length as the Mustang's so they had to get one axel (left?) out of two diffferent rear ends to get a pair for their Mustangs, I take that to mean that both axels in those Mustangs is the same length. Maybe that centers their housing. GPster

brucer

Quote from: "GPster"This may be entirely wrong but one site that I was reading a while ago said the new Mustangs with the 8.8 differential only had four bolt wheels. The guys that wanted to convert to five bolt wheels were going to the junkyards and taking pieces out of the 8.8 rear ends in Ford Rangers. They were taking the drums and brakes but unfortunately only one of the Ranger's axels was the same length as the Mustang's so they had to get one axel (left?) out of two diffferent rear ends to get a pair for their Mustangs, I take that to mean that both axels in those Mustangs is the same length. Maybe that centers their housing. GPster

correct, thats why when you narrow an explorer rearend you get an extra shortside axle from a ranger or explorer.