Street Rod of the Year

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, July 12, 2004, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

As most of you know the "Street Rod of the Year" award is picked at the Columbus GoodGuys event.  After seeing alot of the cars around on Friday, Roadstar and myself, along with quite a few others I'm sure, knew that the '32 Ford built at "Rad Rides by Troy" shop was the hands down winner.

Him and I spent quite a bit of time talking with the builder on Friday.  His name is Levis and he's been working for Troy for 18 months.  He's 22 years old and a grad of Wyo-Tech in Wyoming.  He was very personable, very knowledgable, yet quite humble.  A real pleasure to chat with.  Troy gave him all the credit in the world for the build.

I took the first photo on Friday cuz I wanted to make sure I got a shot of Levis with the roadster not knowing if I would be able to get a clear shot on Sunday in the "Pro's Pick" area.  I took the rest of the shots on Sunday cuz the lighting was better.

I tried uploading to a photo hosting site but after only 25 photos being uploaded, I ran outta free room.  I'll try to figure out a different way but for now I'll upload them here on the RRT.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Glad I took the time to write up this post and include photos.  30 views and no opinions or comments????  :?

merc50

Thanks, I have been trying to get a good look at that car...even the pics at RadRides.com are not as good as the ones you posted.

What is that color like in real life...Im kinda iffy on it from pics...but that is a killer car.  

Heck, last years winner and this years are both better than the winners of the GNR IMHO.

Thanks for posting!

HotRodLadyCrusr

The color in real life is stunning.  Very understated, yet very classy looking. Suits the roadster to a t.  The fan schroud is painted alittle darker shade, with no shine, along with the frame, to set them apart from the body, yet not stand out.

Levis was telling us the owner (from WI) plans on taking it to compete for the America's Most Beautiful Roadster award in Jan in California.

Nick32Vic

Holey Moley! Thats a nice car! Thanks Denise. Im not a fan of the color but it definately fits the car nicely. If it were bright orange or some other flashy color it would ruin it. Seems like all of RadRides cars have a clean, subtle color on them. Wich is nice to see in a sea of Reds, Greens, and Oranges sometimes. Awesome picture Denise.

Nick

Nick32Vic

I love the curvature on the rear spreader bar. It looks great. What kind of license plate frame is that?

Nick

OK,Ok...Don't get your panties in a knot!(Just Kidding :lol:) You know I rarely get on this thing before Midnight! Great photos,as usuall....Not that it matters to me in the least,but is it a glass or steel body?I too,think the color fits it perfectly and really like the "old school" look.Wonder how much design input the young man contributed or was it thought out by the owner?He is obviously very talented....wish he'd move to Nebraska :P Not to hijack this thread but I have an aquaintance who has a 32 roadster project for sale...like I NEED another project :roll: ...just don't know how well I'd fit this old fat carcus into it! He says it's the last Harwood body that was produced.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

HotRodLadyCrusr

The owner brought to them ideas and photos of what he wanted and Levis and Troy took it to the next level.  The owner looked like your average car show dude with a car t-shirt, shorts and a hat on.   No fancy polo shirt to match the car  :lol:

I believe the car is steel but Rudy would know for sure.  I do know the wheels are solid billet.  Even the "beauty rings" were machined out of the one piece of AL.  The center hubcaps are nickel plated.  The headers and exhust havea special coating that maybe Rudy can explain.  We talked to Levis for so long both Friday and Sunday that I've forgotten some of the little details he told us about.

zzebby

Are those Hilborns hiding electronic fuel injection solenoids ?  Wonder how a flatty sounds with precise fuel metering??

SKR8PN

I'm prolly gonna get FLAMED,but........ it.......Didn't do a thing for ME.
Sorry, but that color combination, reminded me of a refuge from an Army camp.
It might grow on you after awhile,but..........it IS a very nicely built car, but...... that color..........
Everyone else musta liked it!!!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Glad I took the time to write up this post and include photos.  30 views and no opinions or comments????  :?
Sorry; at least I have an excuse; it's the time zone.
Thanks for posting the pictures; it is beautiful all right.
Amazing how low it is, and it's a hiboy.

tomslik

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I'm prolly gonna get FLAMED,but........ it.......Didn't do a thing for ME.
Sorry, but that color combination, reminded me of a refuge from an Army camp.
It might grow on you after awhile,but..........it IS a very nicely built car, but...... that color..........
Everyone else musta liked it!!!!

i agree,it's just another ford roadster.
puke color. couldn't they at least make the epoxy primer dull?

looks like somebody "bought" the street rod of the year award .....

wonder how much the judges got paid;)

looks like a hamber that's got too much money and no taste in color;)

seriously, when there's SO many colors to chose from and i couldn't come up with anything better than that, it'd poke out my own eyes.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

purplepickup

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"......no opinions or comments????  :?
Sheesh....I get enough of that at home... :wink:

Thanks for the pics. You're getting pretty good with that new camera :)  

I like the car.  It's high tech with a traditional flavor.  That seems to be the latest direction everyone is going.    I'm thinking that color is close to a production '32 color which keeps it in the traditional mode.  

It's starting to get predictable that the current fad is to see who can throw the most money at a project and come up with a car that is supposed to represent something we built in the '50s with no money at all. :?  That's just an observation, not a slam.  I enjoy all well built cars as the works of art that they are....especially ones that a lot of attention was paid to details....like this one.

What's impressive to me is that a 22 yr old had enough interest to go to Wyoming Tech and was good enough for Troy to pick him up and give him the resources to build a car like that.   Now there's a kid that is making a heck of a future for himself and some cool memories along the way.
George

enjenjo

I like the car, like the color, it's similar to what I have in mind for my roadster. But billet aluminum painted "steelies"? Seems a bit over the top, almost a definition of gold chain doesn't it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HotRodLadyCrusr

My comment about 30 views and no opinions or comments was dircted at those 30 folks (or one person 30 times  :lol:  ) that viewed the photos yet decided that they didn't have a comment or opinion regarding the roadster.

I'm glad they painted it the color they did, how many black, red or yellow roadsters are out there?  Trust me, these photos don't do it justice.  

Wish Roadstar would chime in on some of the subtle and unique aspects to the car.  He must have been looking at P*O*R*N last nite and not hot rod sites  :lol: