Hot Rod Power Tour anyone?

Started by Beck, March 01, 2010, 03:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I have never done the Hot Rod Power Tour. I have heard several talk about it being a good time. I decided I would do it this year. My 15 yr old daughter will be with me and doing some if not all the driving. She has an instruction permit so it is all legal. Is anyone else here going? Does anyone have any good or bad stories from this trip? Any sugestions?

57larry

another tour is the Amsoil Street Rodder Road Tour. I've done parts of it, pretty cool, they encourage family

reborn55

Got a bunch down here that do it every year--said it is a blast, but a lot of driving.  We are going to meet in DuQuoin,  Il this year just to see what is going on.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Do you have speciality insurance such as Hagerty or Grundy on the vehicle your daughter is going to drive??
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

DaBatCave

Quote from: "reborn55"Got a bunch down here that do it every year--said it is a blast, but a lot of driving.  We are going to meet in Du Quoin,  IL this year just to see what is going on.

Do they have a schedule made up. From where 2 where and what stops between.
Be nice to get the monty out and strech her legs. Probaly bring a back up car for the floor jack and tool boxes. Don't wont to way her down to much . Smokin first gear aint no good if you cant at least get a 2nd gear chirp.

purplepickup

I went on Power  Tour in '99 from  Pontiac, Michigan to San Bernardino, California, then again in '01 when it went from San Bernardino to Nashville.  Both of them were great fun.  I'd never been out west, and getting there by following old Route 66, as best we could, was just totally cool.  

A bunch of us were in a Yahoo Group in those early internet days and we got to know each other on line so meeting and cruising our hotrods 'cross country was an experience I'll never forget.  Some of the people here that I met for the first time on Power Tour are Leon, Denise, WZJUNK, Sumner, & 48ford (Russ).

If you're into adventure, go for it.  I don't think you'll regret it.  The tours are a lot shorter nowadays.  We did back to back 500+ miles a day but I think It's more like less than 300 miles/day now.  I know Leon still goes every year.

Take all the tools you'll need to handle most anything.  I broke a ball joint in Victorville, CA and tore a rear end out drag racing at Gateway dragstrip in St Louis.  I was still able to catch up with the tour.

There's some old pics here if anyone's interested http://community.webshots.com/user/powertour
George

reborn55

http://www.hotrod.com/2010/powertour/index.html

or just do a Google search for Hot Rod Power Tour and get a whole lot of info.
Enjoy

Crosley.In.AZ

From what I have read , the volume of vehicles make it an adventure to just stop and get fuel .
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

cr55

Sounds like fun no matter what happens!!!.....CR :D

Leon

Quote from: "DaBatCave"
Do they have a schedule made up. From where 2 where and what stops between.
Be nice to get the monty out and strech her legs. Probaly bring a back up car for the floor jack and tool boxes. Don't wont to way her down to much . Smokin first gear aint no good if you cant at least get a 2nd gear chirp.

HUH?   :shock:

Leon

I'm going again this year (look for a 2010 Grabber Blue Mustang).  It used to be gas stops were planned and those stations were a mess to stop at.  Now everyone stops where they need to and the trip is very enjoyable.  The tour is only part, the rest of the fun is meeting up with everyone at the other things we get going through out the tour.

Beck

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Do you have speciality insurance such as Hagerty or Grundy on the vehicle your daughter is going to drive??
I have it through my regular agent. Mine is specific to 25 yr or older drivers though. My daughter is only 15. I have already thought about that and will change the coverage before I leave. When I get back I will change it back. I will have to talk to the agent first. It may be acceptable if I am in the vehicle with her. Since she can't drive alone that won't be a problem.
Some specialty compaines also have a milage limit. I ran over that last year with my road trip to Bonneville. Please don't tell.

Crosley, I won't have a problem at the fuel pumps. I go a long way between fill ups and no one else uses my pump. I have a smoker in my old truck. I'm considering putting in my aux fuel tank for waist vegge oil and smelling like french fries.

Leon, See you on the tour.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Leon and I have very different views of the old planned gas stops.  Those were my FAVORITE part as there were TONS of cars around, tons of people, cars during burnouts, everyone's hanging out and meeting each other.  In 2001 I went without my own car.  90 miles into the trip was the first gas stop.  I hoped into someone elses car and did the whole rest of teh trip like that.  About every 90 miles, at a planned fuel stop I would ask to ride with someone else.  I met so many people.  It was awesome.

I also did the San Berdo to Panana City Beach tour in 2000.  I can't remember where the 2002 tour went but I do remember it was my first long haul with Big Olds, black primer, no top, no windows, no interior.  Had a BLAST!

Things have changed as Hot Rod Mag does not run the event any longer.  It is done by a professional group called Family Events.

Do check with your insurance provider to make sure your under 25 year old daughter is covered on your specialy car.  NO ONE under the age of 26 is allowed to drive Big Olds period.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Beck

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Do check with your insurance provider to make sure your under 25 year old daughter is covered on your specialy car.  NO ONE under the age of 26 is allowed to drive Big Olds period.

I wouldn't consider driving without insurance coverage. It is a must!

I got sideswiped on my way home from Bonneville. It was the other guys fault and he was ticketed. I made sure to call the state police to the accident. Because of the ticket there was no problem with his insurance paying the bill. It was still a pain in the a**. At first I was going to do the repair and pocket some cash. I was just too busy at work. The insurance company wanted to straighten the front fender. I didn't want that. I bought another fender and bolted it on the truck before I took it to the body shop. I fixed the front wheel and replaced the trim ring and center cap. I wanted a non accident repair done on the hood and the body shop did that instead of the wheel repair/fender straightening. It all worked out in the end. It isn't a show truck anyway.

Leon

I need to clarify, the scheduled gas stops were a mess to get gas at!  

I would stop at the planned stops to see all the cars and take a break, but I usually filled up at other stations.