Ford Distributor

Started by Old Blue, February 20, 2010, 11:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Blue

My 302 from the donor 72 Maverick appears to have a points type distributor.

I want to change over to electronic, what year car can I grab a distributor from when I visit the wrecking yard ?

Also, what else should I grab with the distributor while I'm there ?

Larry

wayne petty

almost any 302 with a duraspark 3 wire connector coming out of it..

74? to 87-88 something like that...

don't forget to grab the cap adaptor.. a new large rotor and a big cap..

you can also grab a external frame coil.. mounted to the fenderwell...

a blue module...  

the harness from the 3 wire distributer connector with the green wire from the negative side of the coil...  this harness may also include the red wire from the + side of the coil...  this wire also connects to the red wire on the 2 wire power connector on the module...

so a 3 wire connector with a green lead that goes to the 4 wire connector on the module...

the 2 wire connector red and white to the module 2 wire connector...

a 2 wire connector for the square coil...

by the way.. the white wire on the blue grommet module is a 10 degree crank retard.. that gets hooked to the I terminal on the starter relay..

you may also want to verify that the red wire that powers the coil.. and you can power the duraspark with it..  has run and crank power when the I terminal on the starter relay is unplugged..  but not grounded..

Old Blue

Somehow Wayne you have left me feeling a little confused ! I'm afraid I don't know Fords very well.   :oops:

Larry

wayne petty

this diagram has it right...

http://webpages.charter.net/1bad6t/DurasparkWiringFW.gif

print it...

warning.. a lot of the wiring diagrams on the net are slightly wrong.. everybody copied from the first wrong one... the one above will work..

here is a picture of most of what you need..

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/12/DuraSpark/Images/duraspark_sm.jpg

you have to understand... when i go shopping at the junk yard for parts.. i get them off several cars...  some cars have distributers... some cars have harnesses the right configuration... some cars have the coils...

sometimes my thoughts gets scattered before they reach my fingers...

i mix and match... as the parts stores get a lot of money for the duraspark module connectors..

don't forget to look under the hood of the all mid 70's to mid 80's ford cars and trucks....   and check the ends of the connectors for green grease.. avoid it.. as that connector is corroding ..

i need to go to the junk yard this week... i may pick up some extra harnesses...  but most of the old stuff is gone... its all cash for clunkers cars...

i will try to draw a diagram my self in the next day or two...

wayne petty

Old Blue

Good info, thanks. I'll study it and learn.

Larry.