What I did last week...

Started by My52Chebby, February 14, 2010, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

I wasn't as busy as usual, life got in the way but I did get some stuff done.

I made a set of billet hinges to attach between my seat structure and seat base. I figured if I hinged my seat, I could get quite a bit of storage room in my pickup.

Here a close-up of one of the hinges and the seat structure and base.

I made the seat base myself, I had the sheet metal bent and then I formed it to match the contour of the seat structure. The seat is a bench seat with bucket backs that I had custom widened for my truck. Originally it was to fit a '28 Ford. There's a 3/4" space between the seat structure and the base for 3/4" plywood. That's why I needed a set of special hinges. I'm not going to use hog rings to attach the upholstery, it's all going to be stapled to the plywood.

I also figure out the latch mechanism I'm going to use to get access to that under seat storage. I used an aftermarket trunk latch. It's the thing that looks like an Alien in the first picture.

Did a bit more finishing work on the tranny floor cover and hump and fitted the battery access door. I still have to cut the shifter hole but I think I'll wait until the cab's back on the frame. I cut bolts to a flush fit and ordered some countersunk stainless oval head bolts to replace some of the button heads. The round-over on the aluminum plate was all done by hand with a variety of files, that was a job and a half to do.

This week, if the weather holds out, I hope to do a bit of sandblasting outside and an epoxy primer coat. That will be a MAJOR step forward.

My52Chebby

purplepickup

Quote from: "My52Chebby"Hi all,

I wasn't as busy as usual, life got in the way but I did get some stuff done.

This week, if the weather holds out, I hope to do a bit of sandblasting outside and an epoxy primer coat. That will be a MAJOR step forward.

My52Chebby
Nice work. 8)

And nice pics. After you prime it you'll be glad you took them.

It's nice when all that work comes together and it's primed.  

Now you can sit in your ponderin' chair just looking at it with a smile :D
George

jaybee

Super nice work, and great pics too.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Good ideas on the seat. I liked my truck in black epoxy so mush that I had to fight the urge to not paint it. Keep movin'.
TEAM SMART

My52Chebby

Quote from: "kb426"Good ideas on the seat. I liked my truck in black epoxy so mush that I had to fight the urge to not paint it. Keep movin'.

Funny you should say that... The color of the epoxy primer I have is a dusty green and I just love it too. I've actually seen a truck left in that green primer and I just love its satin finish. My final color choice for my project will be blue, very close to the color I've already painted the engine.

Thanks for the encouragement...

My52Chebby