Ford AOD or C4

Started by Old Blue, February 07, 2010, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Blue

What can you tell me about Fords AOD trans ?

Obviously it has overdrive, as the C4 does not.

Is it a good trans to use ? Is it much larger physically than the C4 ?

Are there problems that come with trying to use one behind a 351W such as the AOD being computer controlled or such ?

I know so many questions  :)

Larry.

wayne petty

there are some links... and we know that there at least one serious transmission guy here.

http://www.becontrols.com/tech/ch3aodeupgrade.htm

http://www.becontrols.com/tech/aodsupgr.htm

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/DanJonesC4AODswap.html
this has a lot of important data...

this link has a lot of the upgrade parts shown and described..

http://www.ford-aode.com/

there are about as many ways to build a transmission as a thousand people can think up... everybody does it a tiny bit different...

Crosley.In.AZ

the AOD trans is not computer controlled

Get a 1988 or newer unit  till around 1992 when they did go electronic AODE

I would suggest a converter re-engineered internally so the shift to 3rd gear is not a direct drive setup  as Ford engineered.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

one last thing...

the AOD uses a throttle valve cable... like a 700/200r4...

this throttle valve cable is critical...    the transmission may burn up in a block if the cable adjustment is wrong..

or if the pull ratio at the carb linkage is wrong...

Okiedokie

I have an 1984 302 and AOD in my 53 f100. It has been excellent. The car it came out of had 60,000 miles on it, so I would guess the tranny did also. I have put another 20,000 or so and it still works great. When I drive my 46 with a C4 I miss the fourth gear a lot. So now I have an AOD to go in it. The throttle valve was not hard to set with a pressure gauge. I used the Lokar stuff and had to add an additional spring on the external trans linkage. Joe

kb426

I believe it's a little longer than a c4 but not larger in diameter. I've used a few of them. The "no computer part" is great. They are kind of slow shifting so without some kind of shift kit, they aren't the best. But, I'm a huge fan of overdrives. Running decent gears and still being able to get mileage is wonderful.
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

I do have an AOD on a cart in my shop if you need some dimensions. Also have C4 in my 46, not quite so easy to measure, but I could try. Joe

Old Blue

Thanks guys, I have decided to go with the C4  after  all less headaches, and will work fine for a small light roadster.

I found myself a complete donor car with 302 -C4 and 8" rear end. It's a very rusty but less than 100,000 mile 72 Maverick. Was running a short time ago and parked due to a hole in the gas tank.

Gonna drag it home this week and will end up selling the 302 to recoup part of the price. The trans, driveshaft and rear end will see roadster duty.

Larry.

GPster

The earliest Maverics used 4 lug wheels and they may not have had the 8' rear end. GPster

Old Blue

Quote from: "GPster"The earliest Maverics used 4 lug wheels and they may not have had the 8' rear end. GPster

According to a couple of website with Maverick info, this was what they said.

5 lug spindles/axles are introduced on 250 6-cyl and 302 V8 models.
All models get staggered rear shocks.

So I believe with 302 power and 5 lug axles it should be an 8" rear.

Update : Further research has told me the rear is an 8" with 2.79 ratio.

Larry.

GPster

I seem to have misplaced a part of my memory. I can't even remember when an early Maveric was. I just remembered that much because reading about the early ones I thought they were making them out of left-over Falcon parts that they didn't use on the Mustang. Thought the early ones used a Spicer (?) rear end. 2.79:1 might be "over-kill" with an AOD anyway. Might save the steeing box. I couldn't see any difference between it and the Mustang steering box that Pete and Jake 4 bar front ends used. Just lay it on it's side with the pittman arm pointing up for drag-link steering. Works for cross-link steering but it's bulkier than a Vega box. '48 Dodge truck pittman arm fits it. GPster

Old Blue

Well, the little Maverick is sitting in the driveway. When the weather warms up it will be harvested for what I need and the rest hauled away.

Got some good parts.

Larry.

wayne petty

if the donor car has 5 bolt pattern.. or disc brakes.. you might want to strip the front spindles and brakes ...  master cylinder and lines.  as they will probably fit mustangs  and other similar ford products...

even granada spindles out here are still selling for 300 bucks..

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/1583835807.html

Disk brakes,62/66 ford - $500 (bloomington,ca)

Date: 2010-02-03, 6:50AM PST

I have a conversion disk brake from granada tha will fit 62/66 and more falcon/mustang, rotors,spindles,calipers are rebuilt new master complete,minus lines,tie rods ends

from another ad

Granada spindles, calipers and rotors that are good for 65 to 73 Mustang and other cars disc conversion upgrade, used $275.00

just in case you did not know about the front spindles..

its got nice trim rings and hub caps also...