California Kid wheels ?

Started by unklian, February 07, 2010, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Rod and Custom ran an article, early 70's, on how Pete Chapouris
made the wheels for the California Kid. Actually, it showed two sets,
one was Kelsey hayes wires, that he widened, the other were steelies.
He used VW hoops for the front.

My question is: what wheel centers did he use  ???

Maybe someone has that issue.
Thanks very much.

enjenjo

You need 16" early ford centers, with a shim about .060" thick welded to the outer edge to fit VW 15" hoops. At least that's what I recall, it's been a while since I did a pair.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

OK, thanks.  That is what i was expecting.

Rochie

Unklian,
I just did a set of early 50's pickup centers and used bare hoops from Jimmy at rally america.  He has hoops in a range of center diameters and rim widths

unklian

GPster

Quote from: "unklian"Good idea, thanks.
When you talk to Jimmy find out how narrow a rim he has. The collection of Thunderbird aluminum spare tire wheels has apparently dried up so maybe we'll have to make some narrow front wheels for the Crosley. GPster

Okiedokie

A friend bought an aluminum spare from a Lincoln  at a swap meet last year. 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I have no idea as to how it compares to the Tbird spare.

GPster

Quote from: "Okiedokie"A friend bought an aluminum spare from a Lincoln  at a swap meet last year. 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I have no idea as to how it compares to the Tbird spare.
T-bird was the suggestion of our leader. Maybe he thought we would check in the trunk of every junked T-bird trying to find some. The idea was a pair of rims that was lite and narrow but if we could only find one then the Crosley would be going down the track like a wheelbarrow (hopefully faster). A guy on another site has a pair of 3 1/2" wide steel wheels for $125.00 but they have only been up for a couple of days and they haven't started to get cheaper yet. Just wondering about the price of the rims. Maybe it's cheaper to build our own. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "Okiedokie"A friend bought an aluminum spare from a Lincoln  at a swap meet last year. 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I have no idea as to how it compares to the Tbird spare.

might be what we need. I was thinking T bird 4 lug, but we have 5 lug hubs now. I'll have to check what the backspacing is on the Lincoln rims.

enjenjo

unklian

Are the hubs small Ford pattern ?

A search on ebay shows that some GM stuff used Aluminum spares.

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"Are the hubs small Ford pattern ?

A search on ebay shows that some GM stuff used Aluminum spares.

Yes.

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "unklian"How about late model Mustangs ?
Should be lots of them in the yards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-5-Lug-Aluminum-Spare-Rims-One-Pair-NEW-Nerver-used_W0QQitemZ130365490847QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e5a63869f

That would work. I think 15" would be better though.

I think the older ones were 15".

chimp koose

volvo shares the same bolt circle 5 on 4.5 "maybe something there?