Wanted Plastic mock up Engine

Started by Old Blue, February 06, 2010, 11:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Blue

Just wondering if one of you fine gentlemen have a plastic mockup 351 Windsor engine with heads that you want to send to a new home.

Sure would help in setting up the chassis of my T.   :)

Larry

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/replica-ford-sbprices.htm

GPster

I don't have one but I wonder if you could use a 302 and space the heads from the block to imitate the longer stroke? GPster

Old Blue

Quote from: "GPster"I don't have one but I wonder if you could use a 302 and space the heads from the block to imitate the longer stroke? GPster

I think you might be able to, but If I can find one I'd rather have the Windsor version.

If I can't locate a good used one to save a few bucks I might have to break down and order one.

Larry.

wayne petty

i would think .. a flat plate ...  with the bolt holes the same distance as the spacing on the block... another plate to mount the transmission mount to... and a pair of rods between the front plate and the rear plate... circles welded to the top to show where the back of the block is.. and how big the trans is..

a bracket out the bottom to hold a real oil pan in the proper location.. the whole thing might weight 10 or 15 pounds..  it would take some careful measuring..

and the plastic version is nicer.. but you still have to have a transmission plastic also..

this is just an idea....

Old Blue

Quote from: "wayne petty"i would think .. a flat plate ...  with the bolt holes the same distance as the spacing on the block... another plate to mount the transmission mount to... and a pair of rods between the front plate and the rear plate... circles welded to the top to show where the back of the block is.. and how big the trans is..

a bracket out the bottom to hold a real oil pan in the proper location.. the whole thing might weight 10 or 15 pounds..  it would take some careful measuring..

and the plastic version is nicer.. but you still have to have a transmission plastic also..

this is just an idea....

I love to save money too Wayne, but the ability to have a physically real looking engine to fit everthing is pretty appealing. And apparently you can bolt a real transmission to them.

I'll be using a C4 and will have one soon.

Larry.

wayne petty

its a shame that vacuum  sheet forming thermal equipment is expensive..

one could take a motor and figure out a pair of divider sheets with 2 piece of plywood.. and vacuum form a upper and lower...   mount them in a half a box..  fill the void  behind the sheet. with rigid foam... then vacuum form another positive... glue them together. and you have a to size mock up...

one could stick the 2 form together.. coat them with mold release.. throw some epoxy resin in.. and twirl them somehow.. or even.. blow in some fiberglass . make a boat hull....

these are just ideas....

Crosley.In.AZ

size and weight to be figured in ...  a fellow at work had a plastic t-350  mock up trans.  He bolted it to a full engine for a mock up  in a chassis.  the engine weight broke the plastic trans case  at the back end.

The plastic trans was that plastic with strand like material  in it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

here's what i'd do; bolt the 351 heads and intake together and set it on the block...
if you really had to have a plastic block (i used to be a dealer for p ayr)...
myself, an iron block would be cheaper...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

wayne petty

one last thing... i saw somewhere.. probably here.. a long time ago.. a mock up motor...

they had removed most of the internal castings .. like the lifter valley and the cylinder walls.. leaving only the outer shell of the block and the lower row of head bolts.  they even took out the main webbing  leaving the front one only..    really lightened it up...  taking the guts out of the transmission is also a normal thing to do...

reminds me of a friend who called a junk yard about selling a car...  100 bucks with the motor in.. 50 bucks if its out..

they took out the motor and trans...   torched the front springs  to bring it down to ride height.. since the junk yard was at the bottom of a hill.. they towed the car to the top...   rolled it down.. turned into the junk yard drive.. walked in..   handed over the paper work... got the 100 bucks... walked away..  they did wait.. down the street.. to see the junk yard owner face when he opened the hood... and the 454 and th400 was not there..

Danimal

Try your local pawn shop. Heard a story today about a guy I've met that landed one for $30. Complete blow molded motor.