A question about the Ford FMX and COM trans

Started by junkyardjeff, February 02, 2010, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Now that I found a 292 Y block to put in my 55 sunliner it comes the time to decide on the trans,I do not want to use the air cooled FOM so I will be going with a slightly newer trans.  If I can remember correctly the COM from around 65 still could be pulled to start but could any of the FMXs,the COMs had that funky shift pattern so does anyone know if a FMX valve body be used for the normal D21 shift pattern.  I kind of want to use a mid 60s COM if they are able to be pushed started and if I can get anyone to rebuild it locally,I have a toploader 4 speed that could go in it too but would rather have the automatic since its just a cruiser.

wayne petty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns

what is not listed ... that i found a while back.. is the 223 six used the same bolt pattern as the Y block... and there was only one year...64 that a C4 belhousing was fitted to the 223 SIX...

somewhere i thought i saw that the 5 bolt 260 and early 289's were the same.. but it seems my brain is mush..

phat46

Quote from: "wayne petty"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns

what is not listed ... that i found a while back.. is the 223 six used the same bolt pattern as the Y block... and there was only one year...64 that a C4 belhousing was fitted to the 223 SIX...

somewhere i thought i saw that the 5 bolt 260 and early 289's were the same.. but it seems my brain is mush..

Wayne, I believe you're correct about the five bolt 289's. My brother has a five bolt 289 in his '34 P.U., he buys any five bolt bellhousing he can find "just in case"....

enjenjo

Why is it important to be able to push start it?

You can use a FOM bell on a FMX case with some modification, you can find information on the net
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I like that feature.
Quote from: "enjenjo"Why is it important to be able to push start it?

You can use a FOM bell on a FMX case with some modification, you can find information on the net

junkyardjeff

According to the Streetrodder series many years ago on the Y block they used a FMX with the FOM bellhousing and a 59 flywheel with a little ring that goes in the crank to take up the difference of the later torque converter and a smallblock torque converter.  I was going to use a FMX but if a COM will push start then thats what I will use just in case of a bad starter since I want to use the original type starter.

Corn Fed

I can't tell you about the FMX being push startable.....but I did put one behind my 292 in my 57 wagon using the Street Rodder Magazine series as a guide.  The article made it look like it was a simple bolt on.  In my case it was NOT.  I had to get a custom made torque converter welded up which cost way more than I expected.  If I was to use an automatic again, I'd pop for the Flat-o-matic C4 adapter and trashcan the FMX.

I really don't know why you're so concerned about the starter not working.  To me it's definately not what would drive my transmission choice.

I have a toploader behind the 312 in my 28 PU and absolutely love it.  Besides machining down the large OD of the bearing retainer to fit into the bellhousing, it was a direct bolt in.

junkyardjeff

What was the issue with the torque convertor since you had to have custom one welded up,I was under the impresssion a smallblock convertor bolted up to a 59 to 64 flywheel.

Okiedokie

One of my high school rides was a 55 sunliner, I sure would like to see pics of yours Jeff.

Corn Fed

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"What was the issue with the torque convertor since you had to have custom one welded up,I was under the impresssion a smallblock convertor bolted up to a 59 to 64 flywheel.

The problem was the snout of the C4 convertor bottomed out in the back of the crank before mating up to the flexplate.  I actually called Doc Fromater (sp?) who wrote the atricle to ask if he had the problem.  But he actually never bolted his set up together so he was no help.  I had to have a C4 convertor modified to have a shorter snout.  Pheonix Transmission in Texas did the work, which was a great job by the way, but it was an expense I wasn't anticipating.  Overall it would have been cheaper to just buy the C4 adaper plus I would have had a more modern trans and had the SBF starter to boot.

junkyardjeff

I will look into that and I wonder if a FE convertor would be the better one to use,I realy want to use a trans thats able to push start so if there is a problem with the starter I can get back home.  I will be rebuilding the motor so if the crank needs to be drilled out some I will do that and then there will be no problems.
Quote from: "Corn Fed"
Quote from: "junkyardjeff"What was the issue with the torque convertor since you had to have custom one welded up,I was under the impresssion a smallblock convertor bolted up to a 59 to 64 flywheel.

The problem was the snout of the C4 convertor bottomed out in the back of the crank before mating up to the flexplate.  I actually called Doc Fromater (sp?) who wrote the atricle to ask if he had the problem.  But he actually never bolted his set up together so he was no help.  I had to have a C4 convertor modified to have a shorter snout.  Pheonix Transmission in Texas did the work, which was a great job by the way, but it was an expense I wasn't anticipating.  Overall it would have been cheaper to just buy the C4 adaper plus I would have had a more modern trans and had the SBF starter to boot.

junkyardjeff

I would post some pics of it but it seems I can only resize when sending in a email but if I add it in a post it wont let me resize and on here it would be too big.
Quote from: "Okiedokie"One of my high school rides was a 55 sunliner, I sure would like to see pics of yours Jeff.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I would post some pics of it but it seems I can only resize when sending in a email but if I add it in a post it wont let me resize and on here it would be too big.
Quote from: "Okiedokie"One of my high school rides was a 55 sunliner, I sure would like to see pics of yours Jeff.

Google Irfanview.  It's a free picture program and very easy to use.  I've used it for years.  You can resize your pictures and save them before you send them.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I would post some pics of it but it seems I can only resize when sending in a email but if I add it in a post it wont let me resize and on here it would be too big.

Email it to yourself and send from there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie