Ford transmission info and engine ID

Started by Old Blue, February 01, 2010, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Blue

Here's the deal. I am getting a 1987 351W and C6 out of a F250 truck.

The C6 is physically larger and will be difficult to fit into the confines of my 26 roadsters chassis.

What do I need in the way of parts to remove the C6 and bolt on a C4 ?

Also, where do I look for the engine ID to confirm what I'm gonna buy when we load it up ?

Anyone have the answers ?   :)

Larry

enjenjo

some Ford have the CI cast into the block behind the left head. For most of them you will need the casting number, which is on the side of the block, just above the starter.

To change the trans, you need a  Small block C4, and the right kickdown linkage or cable.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Old Blue

Quote from: "enjenjo"some Ford have the CI cast into the block behind the left head. For most of them you will need the casting number, which is on the side of the block, just above the starter.

To change the trans, you need a  Small block C4, and the right kickdown linkage or cable.

Is the flex plate and torque converter different for the C4 ?

What will a 351 W casting number read ?

chimp koose

the 351w looks like a 302 except the cyl are longer making the block and intake wider.E for 80's 7 for 7th year  makes an E7 prefix on some of the parts. You can expect to see earlier casting #s on some of the parts as well.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Old Blue"
Quote from: "enjenjo"some Ford have the CI cast into the block behind the left head. For most of them you will need the casting number, which is on the side of the block, just above the starter.

you need the complete C4 set up,  converter and bell housing to match the flexplate on the engine.

C6  ans C4 parts do not swap around
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Old Blue

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Old Blue"

you need the complete C4 set up,  converter and bell housing to match the flexplate on the engine.

C6  ans C4 parts do not swap around

So does that mean I need a different flex plate too ? The C4 will or will not work with the flex plate that came on the 351/C6 ?  

Larry.

enjenjo

The flex plate is the same, but every thing else is different.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Old Blue

Just as an update, the 351 turned out to actually be a 460. His buddies had told him it was a 351, and the 351 actually was offered in that year of Ford truck. So was the 460.

So I'm back in the hunt for a 351. I may end up using a mock up motor for the construction phase and save my pennies for one of those neat 385 HP 351 Windsor crate motors from Ford racing. Aluminum heads, roller cam etc etc ...drool    :wink:

Larry.

GPster

I don't think you can get that type of power (or money) out of that   "Baby Hemi" but there are people that just want them for "Looks". Might just put it in a car and then someone from Oz will buy it and ship it home. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"I don't think you can get that type of power (or money) out of that   "Baby Hemi" but there are people that just want them for "Looks". Might just put it in a car and then someone from Oz will buy it and ship it home. GPster

I wonder if enjenjo  is up  for another road trip to Calliefornia?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Old Blue

Quote from: "GPster"I don't think you can get that type of power (or money) out of that   "Baby Hemi" but there are people that just want them for "Looks". Might just put it in a car and then someone from Oz will buy it and ship it home. GPster

I actually have the baby hemi sold to a fellow down in Calgary. He is building a 354 now and wants the 241 for another project.

So the $500 I'm getting for it will buy me a 4" dropped Magnum axle and something else too.

I really think I'm gonna hold out for the Ford Racing crate motor.

Larry.