Incidents like this remind you to do things right the first

Started by Pope Downunder, July 11, 2004, 01:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Downunder

I 'spose you've gotta have incidents like this to remind you to do things right the first time.

I've finished the new engine; now for paint.  I painted the old engine with 2-pack in body colour, and all the tinwear and aircleaner etc., are still immaculate.  Since I did that, I moved into the town, so painting 2-pack was a problem.  I thought about making a makeshift booth, but I really don't have the right respirator, or any extraction system.

In a moment of madness, I bought some POR-15 engine enamel and painted it with a brush.  The finish is OK, but the colour, Chevy Red, was nowhere near the maroon colour I thought it was.  It was 'lipstick red'; and it looked terrible, especially with the tinwear on.

In a second moment of madness I thought; 'maybe we could tint this stuff'.  So, off to the paint shop, and they try a test sample; seems OK, so they tinted the can.  All they could do was make it a lot darker, as the pigmentation in the POR-15 was very dense.  So, I do a test piece, and it looked OK, so Saturday morning I am set to paint it again.  It is cold and raining, not good, so I fire-up a heater and I'm in to it.  Open the can and !*@#$%!; the paint has developed 'particles' all through it.  On closer inspection, it appears the tinter was reacting.  So, I put it through a paint strainer/filter; too thick, won't go.  So, into the kitchen and get the pasta sieve.  It goes through that and gets most out, but takes out a lot of solids.  Next, I stick it in a stocking, and squeeze it through.  By this thime I'm in one helluva mess and over half the paint is missing; a congealed mess.

Determined to the end, I paint the engine again, but by this time, a lot of the tint has apparently come back out, and it turns out a slightly darker 'lipstick red'; it looks bad, nice finish, but a bad colour combination.

So, now I am thinking about stripping it all off and taking it down to a paint booth for painting it the right colour. Sigh!!!

SKR8PN

Pope.........not really wanting to pi$$ in your Cheerios,but,if you thought you had fun painting with Por15, wait till you try to get it OFF the engine..................
It will just LAUGH at sandpaper........................
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Sean

Two things my Grandpa always said was "Do it right the first time" and "Never get too good at one thing".

I have been in fabrication and TIG welding for about 15 years now and finally understand what he meant about getting too good at one thing..... Everytime I try to talk my bosses into letting me do something else it only last a few days and they stick me right back into the Fab Shop.

At this point it wouldn't bother me if I never touched a Welder again. I need to go back to School and get me a nice office job like Carps.... :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Sean"I need to go back to School and get me a nice office job like Carps.... :wink:

========= Office?  I thought all he does is drive around in new cars and then stand in front of people with a microphone in his hand.

:arrow:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"I thought all he does is drive around in new cars and then stand in front of people with a microphone in his hand.

:arrow:  :wink:

That isn't a microphone but he is holding it. Just for other reasons.  :shock: