Welding question

Started by jaybee, January 26, 2010, 01:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

My gas welding is starting to come along but at this point I just don't have any consistency.  One time everything will melt easily and flow together to produce a good strong weld.  The next it just seems really hard to get the puddle to flow together and I get large amounts of slag with no penetration.  What am I doing wrong?  Cleanliness or not setting my flame consistently perhaps?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Cleanliness may be the problem, but it sounds like you have an oxidizing flame.  Adjust for a softer feather on the flame.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Thanks, I wondered if that was it.  I'll give it a try.

Old Blue

When you say gas welding, I take it you are referring to oxy-acetylene welding. I hope so as you can't fusion weld with any other fuel gas.

If you are using oxy-acetylene then adjust your flame (with the proper size welding tip - usually a 0 or #1 for most small jobs ) properly.

A mildly smoking acetylene flame adjusted down to a soft neutral flame ( A neutral flame is achieved when you add oxygen to the fuel gas flame and slowly add oxygen till the inner feather just goes away leaving the inner cone) will work best and give you a clean smooth puddle.

The flame will be smooth and quiet.

If you add too much oxygen the flame will be harsh and hiss slightly.

As well, the proper gas welding filler rod such as R45 or R60 is essential. These fillers have the right deoxidizers such as silicon and aluminum and help to make a clean puddle and weld.

You can use TIG rod which has more deoxidizers, but the result will be a rather "muddy" appearing puddle as the deoxidizers float on the puddle.

Another thing to consider is heat. You should practice till you are able to carry the proper amount of heat for a smooth clean puddle. Too little heat can lead to problems with the quality of the weld also.

And yes, consistently setting the same heat range of flame each time is imprortant.

Hope this helps.
Larry

purplepickup

Quote from: "Old Blue"........using oxy-acetylene adjust your flame (with the proper size welding tip ......
I don't use a torch very much and appreciate the tips Larry );b( .
George

jaybee

Yes, Oxy-Acetylene.  That's a very detailed explanation and I thank you.  I'm convinced now that it's an issue with too much oxygen.

jaybee

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I put it all to work in the shop tonight and got much better results.  I took some pics of my work, will get them up on my car thread as soon as I get a chance...although that might not be until the weekend.