What makes you enjoy driving your hot rod?

Started by kb426, January 24, 2010, 06:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Yesterday I messed with the exhaust on the 32. It worked ok but this morning when I looked at it from 50', I didn't like the way the pipes were. So, once again I ran it into the shop and went to work. I made a different set of tailpipes. They are less obtrusive than the last go round. I messed with several small things that I wasn't happy with. I just finished driving around for about an hour. I really like the way the 342 performs. The new exhaust is quiet so I don't attract too much attention. The whole package is real close to being the way it should be. I still need to do something to the seat for lower back support and The throttle pedal isn't where it needs to be for an all day drive. My point is, what is the important parts that make you enjoy your hot rod?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Off the top of my head, without much thought I would say,

#1 Driveability

#2 Performance

#3 Looks

I enjoy the driving most of having a hot rod and so I think that is why I made this list in this order.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

Comfy seats .....Decent tunes .....COLD  a/c ....... 8)

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, with the '40 it the comfort for the most part, and I still like looking at it in the shop windows as I go down the street.

With the track roadster it's just the pleasure of being out in the sun, down close to the road, and watching the double takes on peoples faces.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

2rods

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Well, with the '40 it the comfort for the most part, and I still like looking at it in the shop windows as I go down the street.

With the track roadster it's just the pleasure of being out in the sun, down close to the road, and watching the double takes on peoples faces.

Charlie

" and I still like looking at it in the shop windows as I go down the street."

Got to be the best part.

kb426

" and I still like looking at it in the shop windows as I go down the street."
Good point. We don't get to see our cars when we are driving so the options are to have someone else drive it or the windows. :lol:
I've done that to check out changes I've made.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I have to admit that I like it when people take a picture of what I am driving.  I have seen them taking pictures with their cell phones a time or two.   Sometimes I catch people staring at me at a light or a stop sign and I wonder, what are they looking at.  I forget that I am driving something unusual.

It makes you feel good about all those long days you spent in the shop working on your ride.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat rat

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Off the top of my head, without much thought I would say,

#1 Driveability

#2 Performance

#3 Looks

I enjoy the driving most of having a hot rod and so I think that is why I made this list in this order.

John

X2.  and like Charley looking at it in the windows as I pass.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carnut

ok, I admit it, I'm just a poser.

I'm just in it for the jawdrops and gawking and conversations at the gas pump.

The shop window views is just about the main reason I've always had 'distinctive' rides.

Driveability and Performance have always been secondary for me.

I will add low initial cost and ease of repair are also high on my list.

I'd be first in line for a turn key gold chainer ride if I'd had the gold to do it.

But 'distinctiveness' is my main goal.

phat46

For me it the "mechanicalness" of it, someone once said it's like operating machinery when you drive an old car.  I feel connected with the car unlike the modern cars that try as much as possible to isolate you from feeling anything going on with the car. My dad always bought cars with no frills, stick shift, no power steering or brakes, usually a radio delete, and I liked driving them that way. If I have built the stering column, or installed the suspension I like to feel it work; seeing it is even better, my pickup is fenderless and it's fasinating (to me anyway) to watch the tires turning for corners and see the suspension working. Hearing the pipes is another part that separates the hot rod from the family car and i like to feel the car rocking from the too big of a cam at stop lights. The store window thing is nice too, like a pat on the back. The fact that little kids wave and yell when you drive by has always kind of baffled me; how would they know that an old car is an old car? I've had a little girl on a tricycle stop and stare at me then yell to the other kids to look at that car....how would she know? (well maybe the tomato red color and the silver flames caught her eye.) The thumbs up and "nice car" are gratifying, but I have forgotten what I was in before and wondered why peole were staring.... :lol:

taxpyer

I like it cause it makes people smile. 8) ........... Had an old fellow chase me down years ago,,,, and when I stopped he came over to the car and he was crying,,,,,,,, he said when he saw me come around the corner it gave him a flashback to when he was a kid. We talked for quite a while,, he was embarrassed but really happy,,,,,,,,,, now I'm the old fellow I remember him every time I go out. :D
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

i like the power....  folks will ask what year -make -model  of the vehicle

the wind blowing thru my hair is fun too
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

All the above.

However, I'm not so good with windows.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Mikej

The smell of gas, the rumble of the BBC, a well balanced motor that pulls hard from 800 rpm  to 6000. The smell of tire smoke. I can't hear them squeal over the roar of the engine. The wife giggling when the back wiggles. The wife keeps on knitting when I'm cutting corners at twice the posted limit. And all the other stuff posted. Car shows are just the destination. I plan on wearing the fun out of this car.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"i like the power....  folks will ask what year -make -model  of the vehicle

the wind blowing thru my hair is fun too

What hair?