The price of paint

Started by WZ JUNK, January 11, 2010, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

A friend and I painted his wheel barrow with imron 15 years ago :shock: ,,,,,,,,,,, it's still shinny and nice inside and out. :D  It's out in the weather all the time. Didn't even sand or prime it. :oops:  The car we did still looks great too. :roll:  Very toxic though ,, use a fresh air mask for this stuff or any as far as that goes. 8)
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

WZ JUNK

I did a lot of reading on the internet.  There seems to be two major schools of thought and very convincing arguments for both sides. The major differences are on single stage and base/clear.  Then each of these are divided into premium brands and second line paints.  One thought that most everyone agrees on is that if you shoot single stage, do not pick a metallic color.

The fading part is bothering me as I am painting a Victory Red GM color and my experience has been that reds tend to fade more with time.  However this car will be stored in a garage and that should help.

I plan to do some more reading and visit with a few of the guys I know locally and then I will have to make a decision.  Thanks for all the input.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

unklian

Red pigments are prone to fading, the less expensive pigments are worse for this.

enjenjo

With a Red, I would say basecoat/clearcoat. Some reds tend to darken in the sun, some get lighter. I have had good luck with Martin Senour paints. If you can use a fleet color, they have several reds that are prepacked, better color control, and usually a better price.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Digger

One problem with single stage metallc fading is buffing or sanding and buffing, that exposes the aluminum powder that makes up the metallic to the sunlight and it will indeed fade. So unless you can spray single stage like glass you will probably be better off using B/C.
Good Luck!
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

purplepickup

My 2cents worth on single stage is that the DuPont Centari on my truck is lasting longer than I wish it would.  It's been painted around 17 years and I sanded & buffed it.  If it was fading I might find the ambition to change the color....but no, it's still as shiny as when it was fresh.  Just a few stars and normal wear from lots of miles.  Using a non metallic single stage makes it easier for me to touch up chips and other boo boo's.  

I'm a "wing it and hope for the best" kind of guy and don't really know much about paint tho.  It's good to read opinions of those of you that do know what you're doing.

John, I'm sure I'll have the same dilemma you're having when I do repaint.
George

WZ JUNK

George, Centari has been hard to beat for durability but I sure like the faster drying of the urethanes especially where I am painting.

I am presently looking at the Dupont Nason line.  It appears they have six offerings of single stage urethane.  I will see if I can sort through the tech stuff before I go to the paint store and ask stupid questions.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

I shot plenty  of Centari paint years ago.  that stuff held up well.  I had it on my 71 chev truck.  If the paint started to fade-dull out  a bit,  buff it up some.

Have not picked up a paint gun to paint a vehicle in 10+ Years.  I worked for a custom paint shop in the 70's  when vans were THE thing to own.

I am looking to get back into painting my  stuff ... the costs  sure have changed  since I put the guns down
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

I think the last gallon of centari acrylic enamel I shot cost about $80. Its been a while! In my first year of teaching I was assigned the task of painting an extended cab van that the previous years students had done the bodywork on. The local body shop would NOT paint it or even let us use his booth because the body work was so bad he didnt want anyone seeing the vehicle coming out of his shop (I dont blame him!). The "finish work " or bondo sculpting was literally done with an angle grinder. I sprayed it pure white to hopefully hide the workmanship,not a paint code, but the stuff you add toner to to get the paint code colours . It was so bright you could hardly look at in daylight .

wvcab

when i painted the 50, 5 years ago, i went with martin/seymour single stage, and then "fixed" any errors, and scuffed the entire vehicle, then shot a clearcoat over the top of it. the paint hasn't faded, and i had a slight bit of damage last year after the house burned, ( the cleanup people stacked boxes in the shop, and they fell over and did a number on the side), but when i resprayed the damage, it blended quite well

http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1138&d=1187760204

and

http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1139&d=1187760217

57larry

alot of good info here. thanks for sharing

zzford

A PPG rep once told me that a typical hot rod spends most of its' time in a garage, out of the elements. He advised me that for that application, top of the line paint isn't nessesary. I went with a decent quality acrylic enamal with hardener and it's held up very well for about eight years now.

dragrcr50

john,  we use ppg premium on all of our customers cars, base clear, however the AU ppg single stage dries very fast and covers good and i think in victory red (resellable  red)   you can beat o reallys price  at a paint store.  how soon do you needd it. I can get it at my store and bring to the potluck dinner and let hooley pack it back to your neck of the woods if you want me to buy it... sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "dragrcr50"john,  we use ppg premium on all of our customers cars, base clear, however the AU ppg single stage dries very fast and covers good and i think in victory red (resellable  red)   you can beat o reallys price  at a paint store.  how soon do you needd it. I can get it at my store and bring to the potluck dinner and let hooley pack it back to your neck of the woods if you want me to buy it... sam

Sam, thank you for the offer. I do appreciate it.  I bought some Nason today and I have prepared a test panel.  Tomorrow I will test it out and see what I think of it.  Nason is similiar to the product you mentioned but a Dupont product.  My old truck is painted with the paint you mentioned and it has held up well over the years.  It was the single stage black with a flatner added.  Let us see how the trial goes.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

dragrcr50

no prob,  the last i saw of nason on a nissan,  haha it turned from red to pink in about two months ... dunno why but he had to repaint it .... later,,,,,,
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,