Fresh air vents...

Started by My52Chebby, January 03, 2010, 11:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

I would like to bring fresh air into the cab of my 1952 Chevy pickup. I have welded the cowl vent closed as well as the louvers on the right side of the cab for a cleaner look. Now I realize that the A/C will have to be on nearly all the time and at best, all it will do is recirculate stale air.

I want to add fresh air vents in the kick panels with ducting to the front grille opening (inside the front fenders).

Can you suggest some small kick panel fresh air vents that I could use?

I've looked on the 'Bay but the pictures don't give any reference to size.

Thanks all...

Charlie Chops 1940

The fresh air vent, grille, hinged flapper, cables and push/pull knob off of a 55/57 Chevy would probably work well. I don't know off any aftermarket fresh air vent specific products.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: My52ChebbyHi all,

I would like to bring fresh air into the cab of my 1952 Chevy pickup. I have welded the cowl vent closed as well as the louvers on the right side of the cab for a cleaner look. Now I realize that the A/C will have to be on nearly all the time and at best, all it will do is recirculate stale air.

I want to add fresh air vents in the kick panels with ducting to the front grille opening (inside the front fenders).

Can you suggest some small kick panel fresh air vents that I could use?

I've looked on the 'Bay but the pictures don't give any reference to size.

Thanks all...[/quote

I do not know how far along you are with your body work.  If it is not painted, I would back up and open up the cowl vent.  I know they look a lot smoother without the cowl vent but it is very important.  I have driven lots of miles in these trucks during hot weather.  The cowl vent makes a lot of difference to the air flow in the cab.

If you are to far along to go back to the cowl vent, you might look at the system used in 49 through 54 Chevy cars.  You would not need to use all the duct work but they have some round louver covers that might work for you.  I might be able to find one and take a picture of it for you.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Just to echo what John said about the cowl vent. I resisted to urge to fill the one in the convert. I have heat/AC but until about lunch time on the road, the cowl vent open and the rear window unzipped is all it takes to be comfortable.  Switched on the AC after lunch and we were good to go. Took my wife to Bonnevillle one year and she was even cozy, and that was on days that started out in the 80's in the morning  and over 100 later in the day (July/Aug).

It can be a chore getting a rain-free fresh air system in the older cars that don't have a cavity in the cowl for fresh air and drains.
Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

chimp koose

68 mustangs had a round cowl vent with a control for open /closed that bolted to the underside of the cowl.I am sure they would be available repro .