Small Alternator

Started by enjenjo, December 04, 2009, 07:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Some of you may remember I was looking for a small alternator for the 32 Coupe I am working on. It has a blower motor and there was no room to install it in the normal places. And a low mount interfered with the steering box on one side, and the drag link on the other.

So for the last few weeks I have been scoping out small alternators, where ever I could find them.  I was having trouble finding what I wanted.

Two weeks ago I went over to Jman's to pick up a truck I had stored there. He has a brand new John Deere tractor, a small one, and I noticed it had a rear small alternator. I got the model number from the tractor, and did some searching. I found it was made by Nippondenso, for Yanmar, which is the brand of the engine JD uses in this model. I found it was rated at 40 Amps, and is wired similar to a GM alternator. It measures just over 4"  diameter, and 4 3/4" long. It has an internal fan. I found a new take off on EBay at a reasonable price, and it came yesterday. It tucks in nice just over the steering box, just under the header, and clears the motor mount by about 1/2". A couple simple brackets and we are in business. I believe Powermaster sells a version of this with a higher Amp rating, but for this car 40 Amps will be plenty, and Powermaster gets about 4 times what I paid for this one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Mind sharing the part #? A neighbor was just asking me about a small alternator the other day.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"Mind sharing the part #? A neighbor was just asking me about a small alternator the other day.

Denso 100211-4530

phat46

We have been thinking of putting an alternator on the '39 Allis Chalmers we use at deer camp, right now we just charge the battery every couple days, but it would be nice to have an alt. on it. There is a space/location  problem, but itl ooks like that one might fit. Is that the pully that came on the alternator? The Allis Chalmers uses a wide flat belt that wouldn't work with the pully pictured.

enjenjo

Yes that's the pulley that came with it. When changing over olds Allis in the past, I just used a stock pulley adapted the the alternator.

taxpyer

I think you just solved a big problem for me,,,,,,,,,,, Thanks  Part no. or model of tractor it came off of would be a big help....... :wink:

Quote from: "enjenjo"Some of you may remember I was looking for a small alternator for the 32 Coupe I am working on. It has a blower motor and there was no room to install it in the normal places. And a low mount interfered with the steering box on one side, and the drag link on the other.

So for the last few weeks I have been scoping out small alternators, where ever I could find them.  I was having trouble finding what I wanted.

Two weeks ago I went over to Jman's to pick up a truck I had stored there. He has a brand new John Deere tractor, a small one, and I noticed it had a rear small alternator. I got the model number from the tractor, and did some searching. I found it was made by Nippondenso, for Yanmar, which is the brand of the engine JD uses in this model. I found it was rated at 40 Amps, and is wired similar to a GM alternator. It measures just over 4"  diameter, and 4 3/4" long. It has an internal fan. I found a new take off on EBay at a reasonable price, and it came yesterday. It tucks in nice just over the steering box, just under the header, and clears the motor mount by about 1/2". A couple simple brackets and we are in business. I believe Powermaster sells a version of this with a higher Amp rating, but for this car 40 Amps will be plenty, and Powermaster gets about 4 times what I paid for this one.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

enjenjo

The part number is in my second post.

Crosley.In.AZ

so , the Denso unit is an internal regulated alt  as it looks to me?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"so , the Denso unit is an internal regulated alt  as it looks to me?

8)

Yes it is.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes that's the pulley that came with it. When changing over olds Allis in the past, I just used a stock pulley adapted the the alternator.

Problem is, there's no charging system on the tractor at all now, I guess I'd have to find a pully for that type of belt and adapt it to the alt. Another idea was to use a motorcycle alt on the tractor, all it needs to do is charge the battery.

Uncle Bob

Just to show another application of the same unit here's a pic of the one I put in my '33 Ford a few years ago.  For those searching, on ebay they're often listed as mini alternators.  They also come on Kubota tractors, probably others of that nature.  It appears most of these small tractors use V belts rather than the flat serpentine type in automobiles.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes that's the pulley that came with it. When changing over olds Allis in the past, I just used a stock pulley adapted the the alternator.

Problem is, there's no charging system on the tractor at all now, I guess I'd have to find a pully for that type of belt and adapt it to the alt. Another idea was to use a motorcycle alt on the tractor, all it needs to do is charge the battery.

Not many motorcycles with an alternator on them .

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "phat46"

Not many motorcycles with an alternator on them .

8)

There's quite a few on E Bay, but man they sure aren't cheap!!!!  :shock: I'm sure it would be cheaper and just as easy to use a small one from a car.

wayne petty

does anybody have any accounts with an alternator and starter supply ...

there is a place in chino ca.. called wagner alternator..  that sells new complete units also...  i am still working on a cross to their brand...

one thing... after these units get installed...   if they quit working...

there are brushes that can go. bad.. but most of the failures i have seen on other ND alternators are cracked solder joints on the rectifier bridge...  they thermal cycle and crack just enough to not work... you can actually see a ring in the solder with a strong lense...

taxpyer

Are there any alternators out there that a guy should watch out for that are designed to turn backwards on some surpentine belt systems? I know power steering pumps can be a head ache when mixing and matching?
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later