Jay Carine AKA C9 Passed Away

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, November 23, 2009, 02:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Altho I never met him, I too read all of his  stories & posts ....

He was always there to help....Always there to lend a hand....No questions asked ... God Speed my friend ....Rest in peace...

My condolences go out to his family. ...

Bob............ :(
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

What an incredibly shocking thing to read, I'm completely stunned.  I never met him in person yet felt that we could sit down to have a burger and a beer and I'd enjoy his company as much as any old friend.  I read everything he posted and eagerly awaited the next thing.  

My thoughts and prayers are with Jay and all he left behind.  First and foremost that means his family, but also all of his friends and even those who will feel his loss here.  The best ones leave a big footprint.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Uncle Bob

This stuff hits like a ton of bricks.  The last I remember he was commenting on Frank's steering column work.   RIP my man.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Rrumbler

*!  That news just about knocked me off my chair.  I am so sorry to hear of this, and extend my sincere sympathies to his family and friends.

I always enjoyed reading his writings of his growing up in SoCal, and knew of a lot of the places he wrote about because I grew up there, too, in the same times.  We also shared a common background in our employment; we worked for the same company for about the same length of time, and retired at the same time from the same occupation - but we never met in person.

I will miss seeing his postings.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

TJ's Dad

Jay ..  thanks for the writings ....

World wide  known Rodder n Author.

RIP
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

ripper

Gee I come on here today cos I figured I forgot to come on here for a while...still very stunned & saddened. A real Knight from the Roundtable, still have a C9 Machine Sticker on my ute that Jay sent me years ago. We used to send each other T Shirts every so often but with a big life change here we weren't contacting each other as often...certainly not as often as we should.

Heck of great bloke, sadly he'll be greatly missed but like other greats of rodding (known & well known) they'll live on in one form or another, he will through his books. Got both his and not sure if he finished the others...

A good down to earth fellow that showed ordinary people are more than capable of extraordinary things.

Vale - Jay Carnine. We're poorer for the loss, but richer for the gains his presence gave.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

348tripower

Don Colliau

Dolly

I too am feeling numb.   :cry:

As soon as Carps shot this picture he joined me and Jay in the roadster and we blasted off towards the orange groves, where Jay simply stopped in the middle of the road, got out and said to Carps, "Your turn."

That's a memory I know Carps will never, ever forget and I can still see the smile of both their faces as Jay told him not to hold back on the throttle.
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Carps

Quote from: "ripper"still have a C9 Machine Sticker on my ute that Jay sent me years ago.

I think there's quite a few of those stickers attached to different things around the world.

Here's one of mine.

Some of the things that would turn up in the snail mail after an email discussion or a thread here on any topic where always fun.  I became reluctant to let on my ignorance of some things USA on occasions, because Jay would always pick up on it and a sample, often two or three, would appear in my mailbox soon after.

I once mentioned that I would have liked some Olds Fiesta caps for my '33.  Soon after, a large package appeared with a note, saying that he was sorry they were not Fiestas but the plain version, Fiestas minus the tri bar flippers.  And as only Jay could do, there were five mint caps in the box, because he figured I'd need one for the spare wheel hanging off the back of the car.

Jay was also kind of amused that I thought his '49 Plymouth Buisiness Coupe "Miss Plymouth" was kinda cool.  Apparently it wasn't.   Anyhow, one day a package arrives telling me that she had moved on to a new home, but before she went, he removed one of the license plates.

I have quite a few plates on my garage walls, but theres one section of wall that's reserved for the really special ones.  These are the plates that have a story attached and in the pic below, some of the stories may be obvious whilst one of the less obvious is the blue California plate from Miss Plymouth.  An old license plate might not mean much to most folks but this ne now means a great deal more to me than it did yesterday.

There's so many things to say about Jay, but I'm finding it difficult to write them as I still can't believe I won't be seeing him later next year as we had planned.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Cword

Heart breaking news.

My condolences to Jay's family and everyone here.

My C9 machine sticker will be making me tear up for weeks to come too.

Having just read Carps post I had one thought that made me smile. I'll bet Jay could have written a post three times as long.

I think I'll re-read Pinky and California Hot Rodder

Mike
--

phat46

Wow, stunned here, I always read everything Jay wrote, on any forum. He knew it all without being a know it all. His stories will be missed.

DrJ

I remember meeting Jay for the first time at a taco stand in Covina on the first jaunt of a hot rod and hot cuisine week before the LA Roadster's show one year about a decade ago, organized by Don (DRD57) Bob (hotrodbob) and Frank (Enjenjo) before tearing down the I-10 to visit Mort's "museum" and HopUP office out in Riverside.
Jay was already there downing a breakfast burrito when I got there and I walked up and he just started talking about something we had been discussing a couple days before on the internet just as if we were life long buddies who actually had been talking about it in person.

I'm going to miss him.

John, DrJ

Leon

Very terrible loss.  Condolences go out to his family.

oiler

Terrible thing to hear
Our condolences to Jay's family and close friends
He helped my out so much on my 1st hotrod and never complained or asked for anything in return.
I'll miss him
Godspeed Jay

kb426

My condolences to the family. I'm going to miss him. I liked his posts and loved his stories. I believe in going suddenly and not suffering. I hope he didn't. I had planned to stop and meet face to face next year. Out of time again.
TEAM SMART