64 Comet MPG

Started by ron morrow, October 30, 2009, 06:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron morrow

This thing has the original 170 cu. in. 6 with a 2 speed auto trans and the 1 bbl carb. After a complete tune up I'm getting 10 1/2 mpg. :( . Did these things come with auto adjust brakes? The pedal is right at the top and hard as a rock, (no power assist) just alot required to stop. I have problems trying to get info elsewhere. Any ideas/help is muchly appreciated. :)

Mac

Sounds like the brakes are next for a tune up. Jack up each wheel and see if the brakes are binding. You may have old hoses swelling internally. The master cylinder may not be retracting fully either. MPG should be at least double what you're getting.
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

X2 on check the brakes ....The one I had in the early'80s gave regular honest 21--22MPG..   :? Plum wore that car out .... After the left front suspension collasped due to rust issues it became a parts car for a co-workers '64 Falcon.... :(

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I think they have self adjusting brakes. If someone manually ran them up to tight, it might take a while before loosening. If you jack up the car and turn the wheels by hand, you'll know if you have brake drag. There's many ways for a cause to have poor mileage so this could be a process of elimination.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I'm with ugly olds. You should be getting 20+mpg. 66 mustang,200 1bbl 3spd std. 20+ all the time back in the day.

wayne petty

better read up on the brakes..

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0209_ford_mustang_brakes/index.html

there are long linings and short linings.. .. the short linings go toward the front of the car... the long linings go toward the back of the car..

the self adjuster cables route around the rear shoe...

it is critical... that the operation of the self adjuster be checked by flexing the cable before you install the drums.. if the lever sits too high .. or too low.. it may under adjust or over adjust the brakes...

it also has to be tested... to verify that the action of the adjuster actually spreads the shoes...

i have also had problems with some of the current batches of imported hardware...  being just a little off...  usually the self adjuster at the bottom has been too long...

a long time ago.. someone put together some brakes.. by looking at the picture...    but they did it backwards... with the long shoes toward the front.. and the self adjuster cables to the front shoes...

this really got the brakes tight.. and they would just barely work...

got a camera.????  take a wheel off... take a picture of the brakes installation.. post it..

my mom and dad had a 60 comet..(with the cat eye taillights.). 144 or 170.. i never knew... it had a holley one barrel on it.. with a clear plastic float bowl... it got great mileage..   dad took it in for a tune up...   when it came back.. that carb was gone..  and it was horrible to drive after that..

i was just learning about cars then... so i was not able to help... i am now...

when the car is backed up... the secondary shoe pulls away from the anchor at the top.. this pulls on the cable and moves the star wheel to adjust the brakes...

one last thing... i have had terrible problems with one customers brakes..   he came back every week with them dragging..   they were way overtightened..    after several weeks.. i found out his driveway was steep and downhill.. he would back down the driveway...  stopping at the bottom would pull the self adjusters and overtighten the brakes...

another last thing... how are the parking brake cables...  do they slide easily???? have you lubed them lately...   disconnect them at the center.. wipe the dirt and grime off them...   grease them up... with the rear shoes off...   use a pair of vice grips on the end ferrell only.. and pull it all the way to the forward stop...     then grease the rear half..  and pull it forward...  back and forth until it is free and easy to slide...

you may end up doing the forward cable..  but those are harder as they normally have less amount of movement..