Steering Wheel Rehab on the cheap

Started by 50jimmy, October 14, 2009, 11:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50jimmy

Hi guys. I am still pluggin away on my GMC. Just a few more things and it will finally be ready to drive a little.

One complication has been that I have come to possess a 48 F1 that was Dad's, then Grandpa's, then Brother's and is back to me. It looks pretty bad, but is actually in way better shape than the GMC when I started with it.  It has a later 223 six cylinder and a crash box granny tranny. I bought a 231 buick engine and auto tranny to put in it. and changed my mind, I am going to bring the six back up to running condition and leave it alone.

The steering wheel in the F1 is from a passenger car, I think a 55 ford car, made of white plastic with a big horn button. Actually it used to be one of the cooler things about the truck....Dad said the big wheel made it steer easier.

The plastic on this wheel is beyond repair. Most of it is missing. Mostly just the steel core left with a big horn button.  I have thought about several options. Wrapping it with some sort of leather to build it back up to something resembling its former diameter, I have considered using JB putty or some such.  I just wondered if any of you fine gents had done something creative with a wheel in this condition before.

Inprimer

Quote from: "50jimmy"Hi guys. I am still pluggin away on my GMC. Just a few more things and it will finally be ready to drive a little.

One complication has been that I have come to possess a 48 F1 that was Dad's, then Grandpa's, then Brother's and is back to me. It looks pretty bad, but is actually in way better shape than the GMC when I started with it.  It has a later 223 six cylinder and a crash box granny tranny. I bought a 231 buick engine and auto tranny to put in it. and changed my mind, I am going to bring the six back up to running condition and leave it alone.

The steering wheel in the F1 is from a passenger car, I think a 55 ford car, made of white plastic with a big horn button. Actually it used to be one of the cooler things about the truck....Dad said the big wheel made it steer easier.

The plastic on this wheel is beyond repair. Most of it is missing. Mostly just the steel core left with a big horn button.  I have thought about several options. Wrapping it with some sort of leather to build it back up to something resembling its former diameter, I have considered using JB putty or some such.  I just wondered if any of you fine gents had done something creative with a wheel in this condition before.

here's what I did with my '52 Stude wheel, it was beyond repair. Stripped All plastic from wheel went Lowes and bought I believe 57" of Orange 3/8 ID air hose, slit it lenght wise glued it to the bare steel rim with Construction Adhesive, went to Napa bought 57" of 5/8 OD heater hose, same thing slit it and glued over 3/8" air hose. After all glue had dried, did a Google search ended up with a Wheel wrap, (out of Cali) and ended  paying less than $60 for the "kit" wheel wprked out great its about 18 Dia and feels great will try to find addy if you need also try to post pix up to you  let me know..... Serge

rumrumm

Have you checked Eastwood? They sell an epoxy product used for steering wheel repair.

www.eastwood.com/pc-7-epoxy-can-1-lb.html
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

50jimmy

I did a restore job on my 50 jimmy wheel with eastwood epoxy. It turned out pretty well. There is next to no plastic left on this ford wheel.  Thanks anyway.

rumrumm

Is there enough left so you could take a mold from it? You might be able to use a plastic resin to recreate it section by section. If not, it may be easier to hunt up another steering wheel at a swap meet or on the internet.

I found a 1956 Ford steering wheel on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-FORD-STEERING-WHEEL-HORN-RING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef9467a05QQitemZ270470117893QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mac

PC-7 works well and it's found in many hardware and auto parts stores.
Who\'s yer Data?

C9

There's a good article on the HAMB about re-casting your own steering wheel.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

50jimmy

Thought I had one bought on EPAY.   Twenty seconds to go and four * out bid me.

zzford

try this address: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344222
it's a tech article on the HAMB, about making a banjo wheel from scratch, including casting the rim.